Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i start my nitro the heater does not come on. I have to be driving over 70mil to active the heater whats wrong.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,305 Posts
Welcome to the forum @james5169. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Check your coolant level.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
107 Posts
When you say "the heater does not come on" is it electrical, as in you can't turn on the fan?, or the temperature doesn't get warm/hot for 71 miles? If it's the temp, I'm hoping it's just your coolant level as Scar0 said. Otherwise it may be a clogged heater core as Mine Was. That would be a bummer because it's not an easy replacement, the dash needs to come out to get to it.
You can check this be feeling, or measuring, the temps of the heater supply and return lines (with the heat on full). These temps should be close to each other.
My symptom was that, 1) Running on cool whether, below 40 degrees, with the heater off for a while, then 2) turn the heat to full and feel that the temp was warm to hot, then 3) the heat would only last for a few minutes before it was cold again.
The local Chrysler dealer wouldn't estimate the heater core replacement for less than $2500... Arg... I found a reputable mechanic shop that did that, replaced the water pump, timing belt (recommended at 70-100k miles), and thermostat to $1000. That's a done deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know when you start your car in the morning to let it warm up or defrost the windows, and you turn on the heater. Mine does not come on.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,305 Posts
Pop the hood after the rig is running for a while. Are both heater hoses going to the firewall around the same temp?

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Nitro SLT (black)
31 Posts
If the heater coil is blocked how do I unblocked?
flush the heater core ...very simple take ooff hoses and flush through core using a flush cleaner ...do this both ways several times...top up with anitfreeze....put hoses back on....remove rad cap start engine and let run to remove any air ....worked for me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts