Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems that I get heat when the outside temperature is above the mid-forties, below that it seems to be blowing cold air no matter what the temperature is set for. Is there a pump to push the water through the heating coils in the passenger compartment?
The mechanics did a flush of the the block and heater core and said there's no blockages.
I looked and it looks like all the activators are working under the dash.
Where do I go from here?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,115 Posts
Are the temps from the vents the same on passenger side as drivers side?

Could be a stuck open thermostat, low coolant, or maybe the electric cooling fan is stuck "on".
The engine water pump is the only circulation. It could also be worn down.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scar0,

The temp is the same thru-out: passenger side as drivers side. The engine temp needle is always in the middle of the dial, as it's been for years.

The main symptom is that the temp coming thru the vents is directly proportional to the outside temp.
That is,
The temp at the vents is COLD when the outside temp is in the low 30s or lower.
The temp at the vents is OK when the outside temp is in the mid 40s.
The temp at the vents is HOT when the outside temp is in the mid 50s or higher. I had to turn is down to 35-40%, recirculate mode, when the outside temp is 68 degrees (Today in RDU area of NC).

One thing that someone, at Auto Zone, said was that the blend door that determines weather the air is recirculating (using inside air) or coming in from the outside (fresh air) is stuck in the Fresh Air position ~ which seems consistent with the symptom (imho). If that is the case, then where is that blend door and/or the actuator for it.

All the other blend door actuators seems to be working...

PS: Where is the coolant bleeder screw (Valve?) in the 2011 2WD 4 Liter Nitro Shock?

Are the temps from the vents the same on passenger side as drivers side?

Could be a stuck open thermostat, low coolant, or maybe the electric cooling fan is stuck "on".
The engine water pump is the only circulation. It could also be worn down.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,115 Posts
No easy bleeder in the 4.0. Check the passenger side at the rear of the engine on the thermostat housing. The recirc door is behind the glove box. In your year, you sould also have cabin filters in that area.
Could be the pressure relief valve in radiator pressure cap is defective. Pressure is needed to get proper circulation.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Scar0, If it is "the pressure relief valve in radiator pressure cap is defective", then replacing it may be the solution? Every time I check the radiator, it is FULL. Maybe it's just not circulating? Time for a new cap! It can't hurt...
And, Yes I see the cabin filters and changed them, they' good. That door, between the firewall and glove-box, does open and close with the control settings.
No easy bleeder in the 4.0. Check the passenger side at the rear of the engine on the thermostat housing. The recirc door is behind the glove box. In your year, you should also have cabin filters in that area.
Could be the pressure relief valve in radiator pressure cap is defective. Pressure is needed to get proper circulation.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,115 Posts
Can't say 100% that is the issue, but if you replace it, get one that is OEM spec.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
29 Posts
definitely check the blend doors. they're prone to failure in these nitros and what you describribed sounds like a blend door not opening all the way to let the hot air in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Blend Doors look to be functioning properly. The Radiator Cap is from "CarQuest". Is that OK?

Scar0 asked: "Are the temps from the vents the same on passenger side as drivers side?"
Answer: Actually, no. Passenger side is warmer.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,115 Posts
Pass being warmer is a sign of a heater core part plugged.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently had heater issues. Only warm air blowing on the passenger side. I paid for a full flush and radiator drain from a garage then topped up with new coolant. Sorted the issue right out! Now I have HOT air coming from every vent. Andy

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Scar0: Pass being warmer is a sign of a heater core part plugged.
My Reply: Maybe that's what happened. That's how it was on my trip from NC to TN... I left it for a few days. Got in it and had hot air in all vents, even down to 34 degrees.

Thanks for that suggestion
andyjck208 maybe it's time for a full flush and radiator drain. But, I did have the 'Valvoline Quick Oil Change' place do a flush ~10k ago. Not sure if that included draining and refilling the radiator. I'll check that out, especially if the issue returns...

Perhaps what is needed is to perform a 'push-pull' circulation where the fluid is forcefully pushed in one direction the pulled back in the opposite direction instead of a flush that only goes in one direction. Not sure if any 'shop' would do that as a cost-effective solution. So, I got the knowhow, now, just to get the time to do it.

Thanks Guys...
PS: I'm coming up on 95k soon...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts