Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2010 Heat 3.7L with 150k miles, that looks almost brand new. There's only a door ding or two. It came with a set of winter tires, on black steel rims, and also the 20" chrome rims, with all season tires. It has all new shocks, brakes, a radiator, and new tailpipe section installed.

So far, I've wire wheeled, and painted the steel rims black again, because they were fairly rusted. Then I've added some spider web style wheel covers that look pretty nice, especially for winter wheels. I got the full set of WeatherTech floor liners. I ordered some new real "natural amber" 3157 blinkers, because the ones on there are badly faded. I ordered a new Mopar cabin air filter. I ordered a new bulb for the burned out shifter bulb, from the Toyota dealer (thanks to this forum). And I've ordered a Dodge ram head Mopar cover for the hitch that is installed.

I also did an oil and filter change, with Royal Purple, and a K&N oil filter. Walmart was out of my usual choice, the Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter. The only reason I used Royal Purple, instead of just Mobil 1 HM or Pennzoil Platinum HM, is because I had an issues with starting the car after it sat for over a day, right after I got it. It was cold outside, and it had been sitting, and when I started it, it sounded horrible. It sounded like it was starved for oil, and I think the lifters were ticking badly, and I couldn't even rev the engine a little without it sputtering. So, my first idea was to put some very good oil in it, and a good filter with a good silicone anti-drainback valve. It hasn't sounded bad at startup since the oil change, but it also hasn't been very cold either. I'm hoping the Royal Purple will either clean out the lifters, or the K&N oil filter will keep more oil in it for startup. It had a cheap orange Fram installed.

I have to say, you guys had me a little worried about changing the oil filter. I was ready to either cut the oil funnel piece in half, cause I couldn't get it out of the way, or was going to try and move the coolant and washer tanks out of the way. But then I just tried reaching my hand between the radiator and the sway bar(?), and was able to get the filter out that way. It really wasn't that hard, with an oil filter wrench.

Anyway, good to be here. I've got alot of reading to do. I'll try and get some pictures up soon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, I have been reading, but I thought I would just ask about a couple issues/questions that I have.

First: I have been getting a clunking noise when turning at slower speeds, and going up and down driveways. The vehicle has just had all the shocks and struts replaced, before I got it. I'm thinking it might be the sway bar end links. They didn't look horrible, but the bushings looked a bit dry rotted. Are the BWoody end links worth paying full price for?

Second: I was somewhat interested in changing out the interior lights for LEDs. Most of the posts I saw about interior LEDs where several years old. Are there better LEDs now that work correctly? I know there was an issue with the bulbs staying on with a dim glow. Is that still a thing with newer bulbs? Would I have to get CAN BUS bulbs? Also, do the LEDs dim slowly, like the incandescents do, when you shut and lock the doors? Or do they just turn off?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I finally took some pictures. Here she is, with her snow shoes on. The black steel rims were kinda rusted, so I wire wheeled all of the rims, and painted them satin black, with a rattle can. Then I added some wheel covers that I bought from Amazon. Gotta say, the wheel covers completely changed the look of the winter wheels and tires. I also added a Dodge Ram's head Mopar hitch plug/cover.

I know some people here take the front chin/air dam off, but mine came without one, and I think I'm going to get one when spring comes. Was also thinking about getting the deluxe splash guards, and/or running boards.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Automotive tail & brake light
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2007 R/T
497 Posts
Looks great! I bought some 1.25" wheel spacers (hub centric) on ebay and I think it not only helped LOOK better, but having a slightly wider stance helps handling.

·
Registered
2007 R/T
497 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've made a few changes/upgrades to my Nitro. I think this is going to be my summer look. So, I guess I'm re-checking in. I swapped on the summer tires/rims. I scored a paint matched body color grille from Ebay. Bought, and installed, a new chin spoiler that was missing. Took the roof bars off. I got a billet lower grille from Carriage Works, to fill the big hole in front of the power steering cooler. Added a K&N drop in air filter.

Edit: Oh yeah, I've also added the deluxe splash guards to the front and back, since the last pics.

No pictures of the back though, since some idiot hit the bumper and taillight, while parked, and I'm waiting on a collision shop to fix it.

Next upgrades: Install the MagnaFlow cat-back exhaust that I just had delivered. And probably get some halo headlights, as mine are getting a little cloudy. I think the halo headlights would really modernize it a bit.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Automotive side marker light Wheel

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looking good!

Can you share links for where you got your grille and lower grille?
I'd like to change my grille out for either body color, or maybe plasti dip it.

I recently used a 3M headlight restore kit on mine, went from looking like they had cataracts to good as new. Pretty easy to use. However I'm also looking at maybe getting some blacked-out headlights to swap in--depending on what I do with my grille.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Looking good!

Can you share links for where you got your grille and lower grille?
I'd like to change my grille out for either body color, or maybe plasti dip it.

I recently used a 3M headlight restore kit on mine, went from looking like they had cataracts to good as new. Pretty easy to use. However I'm also looking at maybe getting some blacked-out headlights to swap in--depending on what I do with my grille.
I got the body color grille on eBay, from My Auto Store. The lower grille, I got on Amazon, but the seller is sold out. It said it was the last one when I bought mine. The part number is Carriage Works 43722.

Edit: I think those lower grilles are getting pretty hard to find. I've been looking. I know some websites still have them, but they are getting very expensive. I found mine pretty cheap, but I would probably just try and make one with material bought on eBay, if I didn't find one fairly cheap.

I know those headlight restoration kits seem to work, but I usually hear that the results don't last all that long. It has something to do with the headlights no longer having the UV coating that came from the factory. I've heard that even the kits that have a spray after coating, still don't last all that long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts