Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone have a dreaded overheating issue on my 2010 3.7. Only 58k miles on it. Was putting around at low speed couple weeks ago trying to help someone find their lost dog and the beeping started checked the temp gauge was sky high. Cooled it off drove it 500 yards home and parked it. Been tinkering with it here and there driving my other vehicle in the meantime.
Changed the thermostat... nope. Heater core was replaced about 1500 miles ago (4months) with a brand new one. At that time I had lost heat changing core brought it back. Now im overheating lol. Struggles to start at times... won't start when hot even when cooled to normal operating temp then other times starts and runs like new. Even from cold when I drive it suddenly it struggles to idle when you get off the gas. Othet times... again perfectly fine.
Where should I look next? Also this code started showing up after it started overheating not sure if its related. Thanks in advance.
Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,342 Posts
Did you install the thermostat correctly? If installed backwards you can have this similar issue. Also, if you changed it yourself you could possible have a air pocket or a few in the cooling system which can also cause a similar problem.

the light on the dash is for low tire pressure.
*tire is loosing air (puncture by a nail or something, bad valve stem, etc…)
*TPMS sensor going bad or has gone bad
*tires may just need air (with the weather changing, tire pressure is going to change)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Regarding the heating issue, make sure to check your water pump a failing pump would add extra stress to your engine making it surge, also might be your culprit for loss of heat and over heating. And also make sure to open the plug on the upper radiator house to purge any bubbles out of the system most people don’t and run into heating issues.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Reiterate, you must bleed the cooling system after drain and refill.
Pull this plug at upper radiator hose fitting, run engine, and wait until all the bubbles run out. Reinstall plug.
If you don't do this, you will have overheating and the other problems you described.

Reactions: Patrick Lang

·
Registered
2007 R/T
89 Posts
not sure why you're showing your TPMS warning. Low tire pressure in one of your tires? Easy to go through the menu to find out which one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts