Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some issues with engine in Nitro. Purchased and installed engine from recycler. He said it was good, It wouldn't turn because a piece of aluminum had broken off from the head and locked engine. Took it out and overhauled it. Discovered it was a "K" engine, but the recycler said it would work. Had issues with timing it up. Finally got it timed and reinstalled it. Test cranked it before hooking up everything (i.e., radiator, alternator, etc.). It started and ran. Turned off and connected components and haply go to start it to revel in my accomplishment, but it will not start - just does a quick crank from the starter and nothing. Frustrated, I by another engine, one with the "K". Yank the one and install the new. Go to start up and it does the same thing. A brief turn of the start then nothing. Sort of like if the bendix spring in a weak starter.

I'm ready to find a cliff to push it off of now. Can't take it to the dealer because to do that here, it has to be able to move. I am open to any advise or criticism you may have. Just help me get the car running. One other thing. This was my wife's car before she died and I kind of promised her that I would fix it. But I have to tell you, I'm growing very short on patience.

Hence the title line....Help!!! Please.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,250 Posts
This has me kinda scratching my head.
If it started before adding accessories/components and it’s not now....
checked grounds?
kinda odd but possible, but maybe the starter only had one good crank left in it:unsure:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Patrick, this has me scratching my head as well.

I looked this morning and noticed that the engine doesn't have the "K" stamped in engine.

When I purchased it from the recycler, I denied the previous one because it didn't have the "K". When he called me the second time, I guess in my excitement to finally get a good engine, I didn't check. I have lost count of the number of engines I have installed and removed and frustrated now. Is it possible to install a non-K engine in this vehicle and have it interface with the Nitro.

What was Dodge thinking when it designed an exclusive engine for this car. A pain in the a$$.
20210419_070311_resized.jpg
20210419_070430_resized.jpg

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,613 Posts

Good to have you here. Enjoy the forum!
BTW... Post a pic of your Nitro when you can.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,250 Posts
Patrick, this has me scratching my head as well.

I looked this morning and noticed that the engine doesn't have the "K" stamped in engine.

When I purchased it from the recycler, I denied the previous one because it didn't have the "K". When he called me the second time, I guess in my excitement to finally get a good engine, I didn't check. I have lost count of the number of engines I have installed and removed and frustrated now. Is it possible to install a non-K engine in this vehicle and have it interface with the Nitro.

What was Dodge thinking when it designed an exclusive engine for this car. A pain in the a$$. View attachment 39624 View attachment 39625
not sure if a non-K engine would make a difference or not. Have yet had to replace mine (knock on wood)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At your request, I am attaching photos of the truck. Nothing special, 2wd.

Any answer to the question posed? Can an engine without K in the engine number be installed in a 2009 Nitro? If so, what needs to be done to get them to communicate properly?

Attachments

·
Registered
07’ SLT 4x4 Lifted, 3.7 auto
767 Posts
I honestly have no idea..prob quite a bit I’d think but as far as “possible” I’m in the dark......I’d think regardless it should crank though... may run crazy but should atleast start either way?.. good luck tho and keep us posted as you progress

G

·
Had some issues with engine in Nitro. Purchased and installed engine from recycler. He said it was good, It wouldn't turn because a piece of aluminum had broken off from the head and locked engine. Took it out and overhauled it. Discovered it was a "K" engine, but the recycler said it would work. Had issues with timing it up. Finally got it timed and reinstalled it. Test cranked it before hooking up everything (i.e., radiator, alternator, etc.). It started and ran. Turned off and connected components and haply go to start it to revel in my accomplishment, but it will not start - just does a quick crank from the starter and nothing. Frustrated, I by another engine, one with the "K". Yank the one and install the new. Go to start up and it does the same thing. A brief turn of the start then nothing. Sort of like if the bendix spring in a weak starter.

I'm ready to find a cliff to push it off of now. Can't take it to the dealer because to do that here, it has to be able to move. I am open to any advise or criticism you may have. Just help me get the car running. One other thing. This was my wife's car before she died and I kind of promised her that I would fix it. But I have to tell you, I'm growing very short on patience.

Hence the title line....Help!!! Please.
This is what we call a Chase problem you're going to have to find every wire that deals with everything you're talking about and have the mechanic Chase it from one into the other every wire you've got a short somewhere you've got something that's not touching somewhere or something that's broken so have them do the chase program Chase every wire every connector every switch and you'll find it been there done that blessings to you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what we call a Chase problem... you'll find it been there done that blessings to you
Thanks for your response. I will get on it. Just for my knowledge, I asked a question also about the "K" series engine. I have an "A" series (number on the front cover), I don't have the "K" one, but the recycler advised that the engine was from a running car. My question, will it work in the 2009 Nitro?

G

·
You know there's some tricks to those motors and I haven't dealt with that deep enough to tell you an honest answer but I'll tell you this honestly get somewhere on your phone and call a Dodge dealer and ask for the service department and ask a mechanic ask a real Dodge mechanic and he'll tell you exactly where to go he may even suggest getting away from that recycler and trying something else blessings to you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know, sometimes the simplest things seem the last thing you think of and to be the most illusive. I will reach out to them tomorrow.

Thanks for your help and blessings. Need them.

G

·
You know, sometimes the simplest things seem the last thing you think of and to be the most illusive. I will reach out to them tomorrow.

Thanks for your help and blessings. Need them.
Remember to breathe in and out and remember we are smarter than the machine. A ho my friend

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Hi and Welcome,
looks like the 3.7l ? what year is your Nitro? info on the new engine may help,
ScarO knows the Nitro inside out, but he's not on the forum as much as he used to be, you could wait for him, or send him a direct message,
pretty sure someone else has done this engine swap,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts