Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , first of all i would like to day that i love that we nitro owners have this platform here. I just bought a 2008 dodge nitro canadian model. I noticed the power locks were not working so i went to check the fuse and noticed it was missing went to replace the m38 fuse and its starting arcing and shorting out so i pulled it out. Now from what i read its a tipm issue and i am thinking of getting one from napa and replacing it myself. I tinker around with cars a little so i think i can do it. My question was can i do a hard reset to fix the problem and if i do replace it do i have to get it programmed or will it just plug and play ?

Thanks all in advance

Registered
Hi and welcome to the forum from the U.K. 馃憤

Is anything else misbehaving or just the power locks?

when my TIPM went down I had locking problems and my wipers stopped working. The hard reset method did not resolve my issues.

I had no choice but to replace the TIPM after the truck was pawed over by Jeep for hours ultimately failing to diagnose a faulty TIPM.

So after numerous discussions here in the forum took a leap of faith with buying a replacement. The good news is it鈥檚 plug n play there is a thread detailing the procedure which I followed...everything is now operating as it should thanks to Scar0 and the guys here. When you order the replacement it will be programmed to your VIN number at source, curiously the dealer said they had to programme it in addition which was complete money making rubbish!

Reactions: Nitrogen and Scar0

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought it a couple fays ago and fell in love with feel and look
Of this car. It has 4x4 which is awesoke as i love in northern Canada and we got alot of snow here. And the previous owner i believe switched the hoses for the windshiled washer as it spray in the front but only when i hit the rear spray button and lock do not work and the dome light dose not come one when unlocked. Also its has a evap leak which i think is just a loose gas cap. But the powerlock fuse melted on one i side when i put it in and i saw some other post and they all suggested to replace tipm? The one i am buying here is remanufactured and it says no programming needed i am gonna follow the squence of turning the key to the on postion for 12 senconds then off and then start to program it do u think that will work?

Khaki Nitro Nut
Welcome to the forum @Davenitro08. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

DO NOT put another fuse in there. You may cause a fire!
Some TIPM are plug and play, some are not. Ask the seller specifically if it will be programed to your VIN.
If it is not, a dealer will need to program specific rig info into it. Like a Sub, sunroof, U-connect, etc.
If you decide to DIY the repair respond in this thread, There is a very specific procedure you need to follow.

Reactions: Nitrogen

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum @Davenitro08. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

DO NOT put another fuse in there. You may cause a fire!
Some TIPM are plug and play, some are not. Ask the seller specifically if it will be programed to your VIN.
If it is not, a dealer will need to program specific rig info into it. Like a Sub, sunroof, U-connect, etc.
If you decide to DIY the repair respond in this thread, There is a very specific procedure you need to follow.
Hello yes, i am planning on replacing it myself i was thinking of following this video and going in the same order he takes off the wire and puts them back ?

Registered
as you also have washer issues, then i'm pretty sure you need a new TIPM, i had the same lock / washer issues back in 2013, sorted out the TIPM, all problems resolved.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
as you also have washer issues, then i'm pretty sure you need a new TIPM, i had the same lock / washer issues back in 2013, sorted out the TIPM, all problems resolved.
Ok yeah, i placed an order but they only had one and its gonna take a week beacuse its on the otherside of canada. But is there a certain squence i have to follwoing when removing ?

Registered
Hello , first of all i would like to day that i love that we nitro owners have this platform here. I just bought a 2008 dodge nitro canadian model. I noticed the power locks were not working so i went to check the fuse and noticed it was missing went to replace the m38 fuse and its starting arcing and shorting out so i pulled it out. Now from what i read its a tipm issue and i am thinking of getting one from napa and replacing it myself. I tinker around with cars a little so i think i can do it. My question was can i do a hard reset to fix the problem and if i do replace it do i have to get it programmed or will it just plug and play ?

Thanks all in advance
not sure if the TIPM would be the main problem. BUT I do know if the TIPM is being replaced, it will need to be programed to the vehicle. Found this out with a 2011 Liberty KK when I was working in a shop

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so i replaced the tipm and all the light went out expect for the airbag light i have looked at the fuse and i kmow you have to push it down which i did but it wont go out , any way for reseting it ?

Registered
You might want to check the sensor clips under the front seats. There should be 4 under each seat. If one is unplugged or damaged, it will make the airbag light stay on. That turned out to be the issue for me anyway and I found it by dumb luck. My kid dropped something under the front passengers seat and when I went to retrieve it, I noticed the plug undone. Undid the negative battery cable and plugged the sensor back in. Airbag light was off & hasn't come back on.

Make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable for at least 10 minutes before you mess with any of the clips under the seats.

Hope this helps your problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts