Hid Light Problem

Discussion in 'Custom Dodge Nitro Interior and Exterior Lighting' started by Testeclops, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Testeclops

Testeclops Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro SLT 3.7
    Color:
    Black
    I purchased an HID bulb kit, a high quality kit, and had a few issues on install.

Bulb connectors to OEM plug wouldn't seat fully, forcing me to use zipties to connect them together. Unsure why, as they seem to be the same length as factory bulbs.

Tonight, and this was the weird part, the driver side light stopped working/never turned on. I swapped the bulbs out, both sides, with the OEM bulbs, and the driver side light still didn't work (low beam). High beams worked fine, and I'm sure that the other drivers on the road loved me all the way home form family's house in Daytona. What's weird is that when I got back into town, the low beam on the factory bulb was working again. Bulb filament in intact and undamaged, and works on either side.

Kit purchased https://www.ebay.com/itm/OPT7-AC-55...var=440702731693&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It came with a relay, which I couldn't get to work properly, as well as error eliminators/capacitors. I searched through the forum, and couldn't find this specific issue. My rig never informed me I had a headlight out either, which I thought it would do.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    HID use to much power to fire up. The TIPM can detect this "over draw" and kill power to that light to prevent damage to the wires.
    The TIPM will try to turn on the lights 3 times. Then it will kill power completely until a restart. This is why you need the relays.
    Using HID without relays, you can permanently damage the wires and the TIPM.

After the HID fire up, they uses less voltage then the OEM bulbs to stay lit.
    Again the TIPM can detect this. In this case the TIPM will kill power to the circuit, and then turn it back on. (IE HID flicker)
    This is why you need the error eliminators.

lt.kubosh and Testeclops like this.
  3. Testeclops

Testeclops Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro SLT 3.7
    Color:
    Black
    Gotcha, that makes sense. I'll have to try and get that relay working then, hopefully that fixes the issue. What's weird though, is that the light started working again without a restart, but it did take an hour or so. Maybe a test signal was sent? I'll have to measure the connector and see if it is too long, and if so, dremel it down to connect properly. I do have the error eliminators, so that problem is already resolved.

Scar0 likes this.
  4. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Not sure if it tests the circuit while driving. The SM says it will just kill the power until a restart.
    The colder out it is, the more time it takes to fire up the HID. So that may be why the issue is showing up now.
    But it could be a plug connection issue as you mentioned.