Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, que the gas mileage debate again!!!:eek: I am just curious to see how many km's us Canadians are averaging on a tank. (No offence to our American members, just easier to compare. I know it's easy to convert, but I am lazy, ok???:Na_Na_Na_Na:) Now I know our Nitro is still fairly new, about 3500kms. And I know it will get better as time goes on. But I am thinking that about 400kms on a tank of gas is pretty rough. Wondering if I should be concerned if there is a problem or if the Nirto is just that much of a hog. So lets start spitting out some numbers!!

Thanks

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Around town, middle of winter and I get between 400 and 420 a tank between fills. Usually gets closer to 450 in the summer.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hmm, I am getting close to 550 km per tank and that was before the chip install. My driving is about 80/20 highway/city. My limited experience is that lots of idling drives this number way down.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Could we be talking about a difference in gas tank size here? We have two around 400 and two around 550. Seems like too big a difference to be explained by driving habits.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I've only been getting 250 miles on a tank. Its terrible. :mad:
Jeff that is TERRIBLE....what's the deal? how many miles do you have on it and have you ever just pegged it out for several minutes? I noticed after a couple of high speed afternoon drives it improved considerably.

I am sitting right at 389 a tank and I am happy with that since my commute barely rarely allows me to go faster that about 45mph....have been loving springbreak....I have actually made good time on the drive in and out! and the best part is they stagger the schools....soooo next week will be good too!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
NITRO R/Ts KMs per Tank

:wavey:
Do mainly highway driving @ 110 km, & some city. :Racing:
I'm getting anywhere from 455 km & 500 km between fills.:smileup:
Mind you, I've still have about 100km left most times (according to the digital readout), when I'm filling up again. :smiledown:
At this point, I've yet to get the "Low Gas" warning.;)
Too bad that mid-grade gas is so costly!:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Jeff that is TERRIBLE....what's the deal? how many miles do you have on it and have you ever just pegged it out for several minutes? I noticed after a couple of high speed afternoon drives it improved considerably.

I am sitting right at 389 a tank and I am happy with that since my commute barely rarely allows me to go faster that about 45mph....have been loving springbreak....I have actually made good time on the drive in and out! and the best part is they stagger the schools....soooo next week will be good too!!
Meangirl when you say you pegged out for several minutes you talking over 120 MPH. I have had mine up to 85 MPH and steering felt realy weak. now it also only had about 700 miles on it But i think if i was with you my ass would have sucked the seat cover right off. Maybe I"m just getting to old:)

·
Registered
430 Posts

I have 6200 miles on it right now. And yes, I have completely broken in the engine, if you catch my drift lol :chuckle:. Part of the problem is that 80% of my driving is to school and back, and i dont go over 40 on that trip. I think the highest the onboard computer showed for a tank was 280 miles. Usually around 250 tho. :(

·
Registered
165 Posts
getting around 600kms before I need to fill up (goes onto low fuel warning).

the puter states I can normally go 620-640

·
Registered
503 Posts
I just got back from a 24 hour turn and burn trip to Va and averaged 360 Miles before the low fuel light came on (that is 580K for our Canadian folk) I did a lot of experimentation during the trip. I found that our Nitro's are tailored to run the most efficient between 40 and 60 MPH ( I think that would be about 65-100KPH) If I ran at 60MPH for a long time (200 miles or so) I would extend the range by another 40 Miles. However, I had to run 1700 miles and wanted to do it continuously with as few stops as possible so 60MPH would not cut it. SOOOOOOO, I spun it up to 85. At 85 I for extended periods my range dropped but not as drastically to about 340 miles. I guess if you consider 340 at its worst to 400 at its best and 60 miles difference times $3.20 per gallon you could say I was wasting $10. per tank by running at 85 over what I would have spent at 60. However the trip took me 26 hours of nearly continuous driving so if I was to drop that 25 mph it would have increased me time by 5 hours. I burned 5 tanks of fuel so that 5 hours cost me $50. Since my time is worth much more than $50 per hour, I got a bargain. :)

How about you? Have you made any long trips that you can do some creative comparisons?

Will you be doing any?

I am eager to learn what others have gotten or will get per tank.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have 6200 miles on it right now. And yes, I have completely broken in the engine, if you catch my drift lol :chuckle:. Part of the problem is that 80% of my driving is to school and back, and i dont go over 40 on that trip. I think the highest the onboard computer showed for a tank was 280 miles. Usually around 250 tho. :(
Thats still not good. I avg 330 a tank. but I drive fast

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Meangirl when you say you pegged out for several minutes you talking over 120 MPH. I have had mine up to 85 MPH and steering felt realy weak. now it also only had about 700 miles on it But i think if i was with you my ass would have sucked the seat cover right off. Maybe I"m just getting to old:)
okay....let me rephrase....I have gotten up to 90 a couple of times in passing and the other day my dad was driving slow in the fast lane and we were messing around and I got to 110....not pegged out at 120 yet, but if my sourroundings would let me....I would push the nitro as far as it would go....:Racing:

Reactions: dk1677

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have about 22,000kms on my Nitro now. My driving is about 75% highway and 25% city. I average about 580kms per tank. Of course, I have a bit of a heavy foot. Starting to get a bit costly now, at $1.10/L.

I'm starting to think I should have waited the extra couple of months for the R/T I really wanted. I find the 3.7L engine is underpowered for the size of the Nitro.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I have about 22,000kms on my Nitro now. My driving is about 75% highway and 25% city. I average about 580kms per tank. Of course, I have a bit of a heavy foot. Starting to get a bit costly now, at $1.10/L.

I'm starting to think I should have waited the extra couple of months for the R/T I really wanted. I find the 3.7L engine is underpowered for the size of the Nitro.
Do you have the 2WD or 4WD Sarah?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I just wanted to add some of the obvious and not so obvious factors that contribute to fuel mileage or lack of it. We all, I think, are pretty honest here, on the forum when it comes to how we drive, but I find that usually isn't the case when I get a concern/complaint about poor fuel mileage. For me that doesn't help I often am in a situation of telling customers there is nothing wrong with your vehicle. Fuel delivery is working as it should. All driving styles, weather factors, and terrain aside, I want to point out that Chrysler computer do have a break-in period. This is never a published number and I've only been told this in technical training. What I've been told is the computer switches to a leaner mode somewhere from 18,000 to 26,000 KM's.

Knowing this, don't expect your Nitro is gonna pick up 5-10mpg when you hit the magic numbers. Also unless there is a severe malfunction in the sensors or computer, there isn't much that can be done from the technicians side to improve fuel consumption and its often the customers driving style that has the greatest impact on fuel mileage.

I personally never track fuel mileage so in the case of this question I can't contribute. :eek: I get a feeling its around the 500km mark though.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Do you have the 2WD or 4WD Sarah?
I have the 4WD of course. I have to go big or go home, canadianlimey...

I am the total opposite of my father in this case, as he was what would have been considered the frugal englishman.

Where were you born, by the way? I was born in Leicester...

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I have the 4WD of course. I have to go big or go home, canadianlimey...

I am the total opposite of my father in this case, as he was what would have been considered the frugal englishman.

Where were you born, by the way? I was born in Leicester...
I was born in Leigh just outside Manchester, but then moved to Wigan before moving to Canton, Michigan and now here in Windsor.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts