Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
What a great in-depth How-To! :rep: :rep: :rep:
If I could...
Thank you very much for taking the time to do this.
How-To's are very time consuming and this one is great!
BTW what is the crack sprockets? LOL ;)

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
I thought your ride had some special drug Mfg plant inside it. :))
Despite what some folks think, I do actually read everything. There was one other, but I can't remember where is was. Them/then fat finger, I think somewhere...
But that really does not matter.
IT IS A GREAT WRITEUP!
Thanks again for the time and effort you put into it. :appl:

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Edit: Found the torque specs for the water pump bolts. 12N/m or 105in/lbs is the correct torque for those M6 bolts.
12Nm = 8.8 Ft Lbs. Where did you find the specs? Neither my hard copy or my PDF files have these for the 4.0.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
I found the torque info... It was way down there. Thanks for the info and LUCK on your trip. :smileup:

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jeric duran.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

The serpentine belt and drive belt terms are sometimes interchangeable. This refers to the belt which drives the A/C, generator, and viscus fan (if you have a viscus fan). This thread is about changing the timing belt, which is internal and can not be seen without removing the cover and a bunch of other parts to get to it.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Glad to hear you got the job done timmytubby!
And thanks for the additional info and Pics!

Reactions: timmytubby

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
He transferred the location of timing marks on the 3 gears (1 on crank, and 1 each for the cams) onto the old belt.
He counted the teeth between the marks on the old belt, and made marks in the same location(count of teeth) on the new belt.

Then when you install the new belt, and have all the marks lined up with the gear marks, you are insured the timing is OK.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Haven't seen meder since 2016.
Agreed, he was a great contributor to the board.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
I started my exchange today and got into maybee some troubles, when putting on the belt one cam shaft pulley snapped away and I then rotated that camschaft clockwise so it once again aligned (more or less one turn). Did I mess upp the timing between left and right side and the crank shaft pulley?
Most likely yes.
I do not know how far or which direction it rotated when it let loose. So I can't tell you how to correct it.
The problem is the 4.0 is a zero clearance engine. IE the valves will hit the pistons if not set correctly.
The SM says "DO NOT turn the camshafts a full revolution! Damage to the valves and pistons can occur!"

That being said, There are timing marks on the crank and both cams. Hopefully you aligned them before your started. If not, you have some work ahead.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
OK Good to know. :D
As long as the other 2 ( Crank and 1 Cam) did not move and the one Cam that moved ,you rotated back into position, opposite of the direction it slipped. You should be OK.

Reactions: Claes Vestberg

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
If you can rotate the crank by hand 8-10 times and nothing hits/binds, sounds like you are set.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
8-10 just to be absolutely sure, no other reason. Usually 4 is enough.
Q2, No and no need. The computers will find them.

Reactions: Nitrogen
1 - 12 of 12 Posts