Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you know, I cracked my air dam last week and it seems some members were wondering if it can be removed. Well yes it can and here's how.

1 - Remove outer clips by squeezing them shut and pushing up and out. Then pry open the gap where the air dam leg fits through and push leg out. Repeat both sides. It won't go too far yet as all the others are still in place.

2 - There are two clips mid way between the outer and inner clips. Push the center pin up and remove clip from the back. Again pry open the gap where the air dam leg is and push leg out. Repeat both sides.

3 - The center leg has no clips so just pry open the gap and push leg out.

3B - I missed these clips. I didn't know they existed until I got my new air dam, they must have broken off when I snapped the air dam corner off. They are held on by two serrated washers. Just pry the washers off and push the pegs through.

4 - Now all the clips and legs are free, carefully pull the air dam forward. There are two 'L' shaped legs on the very outer edges. Be careful not to snap these off. If it won't pull forward just check all the legs are free. If not pry open the gaps and free the legs.

5 - The Nitro with the air dam off.

It takes about 10 mins and all you need is a flat screwdriver and and small steel pin to push out the one clips center pin. (about 1/16" dia)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Graham, your Nitro does look OK without the lower air dam...but I think I would still trim it and reinstall. It will give the front of your Nitro a big smiley face!:)

Er, on second thought, maybe you don't want that if it takes away all the tough macho attitude!:SHOCKED:

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Graham, your Nitro does look OK without the lower air dam...but I think I would still trim it and reinstall. It will give the front of your Nitro a big smiley face!:)

Er, on second thought, maybe you don't want that if it takes away all the tough macho attitude!:SHOCKED:
I've been thinking about trimming it down to about 1" thick. that way it will cover the steel parts and still have the air dam look....

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Great news.I wonder if it can be modified to go on and off with quick release (DZUS-type) fasteners.

This way you could pop it off for snowy days or off-road times and put it back for a street look.

I kind of like the look better without the air dam. Especially on an SXT. Looks more like a truck.

Ken

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
hey Graham, it doen't look half bad w/out it, maybe you can replace it w/ something oh I don't know ORANGE....lol

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great news.I wonder if it can be modified to go on and off with quick release (DZUS-type) fasteners.

This way you could pop it off for snowy days or off-road times and put it back for a street look.

I kind of like the look better without the air dam. Especially on an SXT. Looks more like a truck.

Ken
I'm gonna order a new one as a replacement Ken so then I can play with this one at work. Tim suggested shaping it. I thought about reducing it to maybe 1" or 2" thick. I'll play next week when I'm back at work and post some pics.

·
Registered
859 Posts
For what it's worth everyone, the air dam only costs $48.09. Don't know if it's ok to post, so PM me. :smileup:

Where do you go to buy it? My dealership told me it was 125$!!! I think i am being Je**d....

I would really appreciate if you had a link or something i can order from.

On the other side i have an easier way to take it off, just hit a frozen slush ball coming out from a Transport in the winter. That's how mine came off, lol.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where do you go to buy it? My dealership told me it was 125$!!! I think i am being Je**d....

I would really appreciate if you had a link or something i can order from.

On the other side i have an easier way to take it off, just hit a frozen slush ball coming out from a Transport in the winter. That's how mine came off, lol.
I got mine from AdamC when he was a supporting vendor here. It was about $65 plus shipping. As far as I know, only Mopar make that part.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.