Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi this is very cool, there is a way you can post more detail diagram how to make the brackets, or measurements ho big they are what distant between the holes ho big the holes, this will be great Mod to my nitro thanks for the info.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was going to ask the same thing. AirJunky, could you make us a template, that we could print out? No reason for all of us to have to do trial and error.

Thanks
NitroOne1

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks to Rbnsal for doing it first!
This week I was able to get a pair of gas shocks installed on my hood and get rid of that stupid hood prop rod. :pepper:

I used a pair of MightyLift 95230 which includes the studs & is available at Autozone for about $20 each. And about 8" of 1.25" angle iron ($5 at Home Depot), and a little spray paint. I'm no metal worker & these brackets were made in a couple hours using basic tools, ie; angle grinder, jigsaw, beltsander, a drill, a flat file & a round file.

The end result is a hit. Dodge obviously thought about doing this because the lower studs are in the fender already. And for under $50, you can finish the job yourself!

- The hood is easier to open, and you can do it one handed.
- It opens higher so I don't knock my head on it.
- The prop rod is not in the way any longer.
How do you make sure you don't pierce the hood?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I hope you can make this work for you too. I really like how it turned out.
I've corrected a few things, added some how-to & a diagram. My drafting skills are about as good/bad as my metalworking, so hope it gets the point across.
The bottom line is if you have any jr high metal shop skills at all, this will take you about 2 or 3 hours to get done...... or 3 or 4 beers, depending on what exactly your skills are! ;)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Thanks guys. I hope you can make this work for you too. I really like how it turned out.
I've corrected a few things, added some how-to & a diagram. My drafting skills are about as good/bad as my metalworking, so hope it gets the point across.
The bottom line is if you have any jr high metal shop skills at all, this will take you about 2 or 3 hours to get done...... or 3 or 4 beers, depending on what exactly your skills are! ;)
Just so you know, your drafting and your metalworking skills are just fine, especially with hand tools!! We appreciate your work, the photos and the instructions. If we can't build 'em from these details, we deserve to bump our heads on the hood!!! Why I'll bet after 4 or 5 raps on the head, anyone can build 'em. Thanks again.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I assume your asking about the gas shocks. Or do you want to buy my old prop rod?

As I said in the original writeup, you want to get something like the MightyLift 95230 I picked up at Autozone. It's got the right ends, includes 4 studs, has the right pressure to hold the hood up but not bend it when you push it down, and their the right length, compressed & uncompressed. 13" & 22" respectively. About 40 lbs of compression. Plus Autozone was about $35 cheaper than Napa, which ended up not having the right shocks in their regional warehouse. I went thru at least 6 different sets to come to this conclusion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks, your hard work is much appreciated. I always love it when someone else does the engineering for me. I can spend more time drinking beer and still take credit when I show my buddies the final product "I" came up with. J/K You deserve all the credit, good job.

P.S. Extra points for dressing up the brackets, rounding corners etc. I hate nothing more than an old rusty peice of raw metal "fabbed" onto a nice ride.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Huff,
Tip a few for me as you do this install..... I certainly did! :Racing:

Tried to pick up a Liberty CAI off Ebay & the bas+ard backed out of the sale..... guess he got a little miffed I won it for .01 cent. Anyway, I'm thinking about modifying a Liberty or Dakota (with a 3.7 liter) CAI to fit the Nitro. Shouldn't be too big a deal. And might be nice that the hood prop isn't in the way while I negotiate with the stock air box.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
AirJunky, cut my brackets out tonite & was wondering if you see any harm in rounding off all the corners in particular the one on the notched end seems to be a lot of excess metal there at the back end. think I will do it just thinking you may have had a reason for leaving it like strength . Got my struts coming in the mail. hope to have them by mon. have er done by wed. of next week. thanks again for the pics & diagram.:pepper::ura1:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea, I used an angle grinder & then a belt sander to clean all the corners up a bit. I figured it would help the paint stick better & keep my knuckles from getting dinged up.

Hoping my CAI will be here soon. I am going the same route as Nitrodubbin. I'd like to prove a couple of points as I do it. Temps of the tube itself & the engine bay. MPG & performance increase (or decrease). But without a dyno, I'm not exactly how to prove the last one.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Alright mine are gonna look pretty much like yours a bit more rounded that's all , figuring the MPGS will be easy enough the performance factor is the one, still like mine & still think pedal response is better since I put the CIA on no lag. still on same tank of gas so no MPG's yet will post after I fuel up. waiting on the pics after you get yours installed.

Dan

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.