Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have tried and tried:( but I have not yet figure out how to get the stock shifter knob off.:mad: I wanted to maybe change it as well as be able to completely remove the prndl plate to route some wiring for my phone power cord.

If any one out there knows how please reply as I am getting to the point of using a blow torch and a hacksaw...LOL:daz:

Maybe NitroLarry:wave:.....you seem to have the details

Thanks to anyone

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
REMOVAL

You know I can't find in the manuals how to remove the shifter knob. :confused: However it the shifter knob looks similar to the Caliber one and to remove that one just pull straight up on the knob. It does require a good yank though. Sorry Chrysler seems to have forgotten to show removal of the knob. Not the first time they forget something in their manuals. I did however include removal of the center console along with some pics. Hope this helps.

1. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, pry the shift bezel out of the floor console.

2. Open the console lid (1) and remove the two screws (2).
3. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, release the fasteners at all of the locations around the floor console trim panel (3).
4. Lift up and rearward to release the panel (3) from the floor console.
5. Disconnect the electrical connectors (4) from the panel (3).

6. Remove the ash cup (3) from the console (1).
7. Remove the bin (4) from the console (1).
8. Remove the three screws (2) from the front of the console (1).
9. Remove the two screws (5) from the rear of the console (1).
10. Lift the console (1) at the back and remove.

·
Registered
150 Posts
:SHOCKED: maybe you could post some bigger pics if you get a chance...If you use the other way of posting pics you will get better results. I will go and try to find the directions that nitrowill gave me...

"I am not using the attatchment option of the forums and am hosting them on a third party source. To see the tutorial for this see: http://nitroforumz.com/showthread.php?t=174 Just keep the images to 640x480 as a max"

This is how Nitrowill explained posting bigger pictures

Does anyone else see that dont leech msg? Wonder what the hell that is? Nitrowill did you borrow that post or something? It is really weird. Check out the thread link posted up one msg. Really weird...and on that not i am out!!!

·
NitroZ is the place to be!!!
1,459 Posts
"I am not using the attatchment option of the forums and am hosting them on a third party source. To see the tutorial for this see: http://nitroforumz.com/showthread.php?t=174 Just keep the images to 640x480 as a max"

This is how Nitrowill explained posting bigger pictures
That's not the issue my friend. The forum attachment system is set up to allow members to post larger images. The maximum size for attachments on the forum is 800x600 with a 250,000kb file size. He could have uploaded much larger pictures if he wanted to.

You are still welcome to link your images off site, but we suggest using the gallery once your forum limit is reached. To see limits, check the Hierarchy thread in the tech support forum.

It is much easier to upload to the forum, and gallery then having to deal with 3rd party hosts. If your limit is reached here, you can always become a supporting member to get more space :)

As for the Leeching image. I enabled Hotlinking protection on the server because I noticed other domains and forums leeching our smilies! Go figure! Now, where they were once displaying our smilies, they are now showing that image. I just had to tweak the settings so you wouldn't see them. You are arriving at this domain without the www. That is why you saw them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NitroLarry you were right just give your knob a real good pull.......:SHOCKED:

Actually it does take quite a bit of force but it will come off

But now I have to see what adapters I would need to mount an aftermarket shifter. I will let you know how that develops. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
jaerho,i like the shifter knob that you have,i've been looking for one recently.my problem is most of them are for manual trans,is that due to say a floor mount as opposed to column mount? of course the nitro has a floor mount shifter.so do i get the manual shifter? thanks for any info you give:wave:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
after no response from jaerho i decided to attempt this mod myself,i did some research, asked questions to an auto parts manager (who couldn't answer because he didn't know:eek:) so i bought a shifter knob and went to the house.the original came off with a simple pull.i placed the adapter on the stem screwed everything down no problems at all.mine does have blue lights that you program to blink in various sequences or remain on/off:cool:.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
REMOVAL

You know I can't find in the manuals how to remove the shifter knob. :confused: However it the shifter knob looks similar to the Caliber one and to remove that one just pull straight up on the knob. It does require a good yank though. Sorry Chrysler seems to have forgotten to show removal of the knob. Not the first time they forget something in their manuals. I did however include removal of the center console along with some pics. Hope this helps.

1. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, pry the shift bezel out of the floor console.

2. Open the console lid (1) and remove the two screws (2).
3. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, release the fasteners at all of the locations around the floor console trim panel (3).
4. Lift up and rearward to release the panel (3) from the floor console.
5. Disconnect the electrical connectors (4) from the panel (3).

6. Remove the ash cup (3) from the console (1).
7. Remove the bin (4) from the console (1).
8. Remove the three screws (2) from the front of the console (1).
9. Remove the two screws (5) from the rear of the console (1).
10. Lift the console (1) at the back and remove.
Larry,

I find it hard to believe that the manual shift knob just pulls off. The shaft just does not look like that type of shaft

I am pretty sure that the 6-speed was used in the 06 and 07 Liberty. Do you have any info on that?

My new knob should be in tomorrow and I'd like to do this without tearing things up.

Ken

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Ken

This was for the auto shifter knob. I just looked at removal for the shifter knob on the 6 speed, nothing. Doesn't tell you nothing. So give it a good hard pull and see if it pops off. Sorry, that's all I know. :confused:

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Just put on the shifter knob, looks great real leather. I'll post pics later.

The OEM knob does just pull off. There is a spring clip in the knob that engages a detent on the shif lever. No threads on the shift lever so you will need to use a universal knob like I used.

The Grant knob came with 3 plastic sleeves to adapt the shaft to the knob and it mounts with 3 set screws at the base.

Unfortunately the largest sleeve is a bit too small for the Nitro. I had to ream out the inside diamete of the sleeve. I experimented with a bunch of ways to do this, in the end I used a dremel and a sanding drum.--- I should have tried this first as it took me over an hour to finaly fit the knob.

I don't know if these knobs work with the automatic and if they do I don't know if the shaft size is an issue. In the 6-speed the shaft is about 15mm in diameter.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
KenCary,

I already did the autoshifter knob change. :smileup: Same thing just pulled it off and used the kit with the new knob and installed it. I will see if I have a few pics if it.
Looking at your pictures, it looks like the autoshift knob is a smaller diameter than the 15mm shaft on the 6-speed.

Did you run into the fitting problems that I did?

Ken

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had a little bit of an issue becasue the one that was the closest in size was a smaller diameter than the shaft. So I heated it up with a hair dryer :thk:and then I was able to force it one and it still fit the inner diameter of the knob.

No issues after install

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Had a little bit of an issue becasue the one that was the closest in size was a smaller diameter than the shaft. So I heated it up with a hair dryer :thk:and then I was able to force it one and it still fit the inner diameter of the knob.

No issues after install
That sounds a litte better than my issue. I had to ream out the inside with a Dremel tool. I could not do what you did because, the sleev clearance was too tight.

My knob is held in place with 3 allen set-srews-- how about the automatic? Same deal?

Ken

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.