Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Nice day today so decided to remove the rear bumper, Since we had a very frosty night I have had a warning message on the dashboard saying
" Service park assist system " so I thought I would check the sensors behind the bumper first. ( thought the frost might have popped the wiring off the sensors.
Tools and materials needed. Jack and axle stands. wheel wrench. 10mm socket, extention and rachet, 10mm spanner, 1/4 drill bit and drill, trim clip removal tool, a pair of pliers, four 1in 1/4 nuts and bolts with flat and spring washers, 16 plastic rivets (found these on Ebay)
to start with disconnect ( - ) terminal on battery and leave for 10 mins,
Jack and place on axle stands (chock the front wheels )Remove rear wheels,

Remove both wheel arches but DO NOT remove the arches on the rear doors,
Each arch is held on with 6 plastic rivets to remove these you need your trim removal tool and something to push the centre if the rivet back inside and prise out the rivets( these are not reusable).

Carefully pull off the arch you will find some of the clips stay in the body but can be removed with the trim tool and fitted back in the arch

Both ends of the bumper are held on with aluminium rivets 2 on each side these can be drilled out with the 1/4 drill.

Next the four 10mm bolts Open tailgate and you will find one in each corner and two on the underside of the tailgate rubber seal.

Next from the underside there are four more plastic rivets to remove two on each side. I found it easier to remove the bumper with the rear lights removed ( 2 plastic buttons on each lamp use the trim removal tool and remove wiring plug ) the bumper can now be removed remembering to disconnect the four plugs on the reverse sensors and the wiring.

Refitting is opposite to removal. refit wiring and plugs for reverse sensors. gently refit bumper, replace the four 10mm bolts under the tailgate seal
and instead of using aluminium rivets I used the four nuts ,bolts and washers.

The arches are gently clipped back in and the new rivets are fitted, I did not have the right rivet pliers so I held the main body of the rivet and pulled the centre pin all the way out with a pair of pliers.

This is a picture of the new rivet and a old one.

Fit the Four plastic rivets on the underside of the bumper. refit the lamps, refit the wheels and remove stands and jack, torque wheel nuts to correct torque. reconnect battery, It took about two and a half hours to do the job and it was fairly easy to do. Unfortunately I found all the sensors OK after I cleaned them up so I still have a problem. :smiledown: :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not know where my pictures went ? What have I done wrong ? It took me longer to write this post then it did to too do the job.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,329 Posts
What is strange is all the attachments from 10429 to 10448 are missing.
Guess you will have to upload them again...

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,329 Posts
Great write up and a very good addition to our How-To section!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do not know where my pictures went ? What have I done wrong ? It took me longer to write this post then it did to too do the job.
Thanks a lot for the write up. I have a dent in the corner of my rear bumper. I might pop the bumper off and try to bang out the dent so I don't have to buy another. Maybe I'll heat it up first with a paint heat gun to make it softer. Still mulling it over.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks a lot for the write up. I have a dent in the corner of my rear bumper. I might pop the bumper off and try to bang out the dent so I don't have to buy another. Maybe I'll heat it up first with a paint heat gun to make it softer. Still mulling it over.
That's exactly what I did several years ago. Backed into an angled tree stump and it dented in the corner of the bumper. Softened it with a paint gun, reached up in there and pushed it back out. It doesn't look perfect but not noticeable either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you get to the bottom of the SERVICE PARKING SENSOR fault?

I have the same issue with my Dodge

1 - 12 of 12 Posts