Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
This was performed on a 2008 3.7L Nitro SXT. Thanks to Scar0 and DrewsBrews for instructing me on how to perform this.

1. Clean the transfer case well so you can tell if your seal is leaking afterwards.

2. Scribe a mark on the transfer case, flange and driveshaft before unbolting so the shaft can be put back together the same way it came off. ( I would also recommend having the flange bolts square with the floor for best access)

3. Remove driveshaft. To do this remove the (4) 15mm bolts on the flange. The driveshaft will slide back so you can lower it to the floor. I soaked these with PB Blaster a couple time before I started.

Slide1.jpg

4. Using Holder C-3281 (Instead of buying this tool, you may be able to make one from a piece of flat steel, drill 2 holes in it to line up with the flange/driveline bolt holes, then bolt it onto the flange to hold it still.), remove the rear companion flange nut with a 32mm Axle Nut Socket (you can rent this for free at an auto parts store like O’reilly).

Slide2.jpg

5. Remove the rear output flange from the main shaft. If necessary, use a suitable 2 or 3 jaw puller to remove the output shaft flange.

Slide3.jpg

6. Remove the rear output seal with a suitable pry tool or a screw mounted in a slide hammer.

Slide4.jpg

Installation:
Lubricate transfer case parts with Mopar ATF+4 ATF, Automatic Transmission Fluid, during overhaul and assembly. Use petroleum jelly to prelubricate seals, O-rings, and thrust washers. Petroleum jelly can also be used to hold parts in place during reassembly.
This will allow the seal to slip over the shaft without binding up.

1. Install a new rear output seal into the rear cover with Installer C-3972A. (I have used a large socket for this in the past, but you have to be very careful or you will have to do it again...)

Slide5.jpg

2. Install the rear output flange onto the main shaft.

3. Using Holder C-3281 , install the rear companion flange nut. Tighten the nut to 122-176 N.m (90-130 ft.lbs.).

4. Install the rear drive shaft with the (4) 15mm bolts and Torque is 108 N.m (80 Ft. Lbs.) I noticed thread lock blue on the bolt so I used that in the reassembly too.

Slide6.jpg

5. Check the transfer case fluid level. Correct as necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,212 Posts
Very well put together instruction with pictures to help.
:rep: Nitro151

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Well done. It is nice to have the Pics to aid in the process.
:rep:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had to do the seal on my 2009 with 83K miles. Your instuctions were excellent, but I did it a little easier starting at #4

4 - I did mine without a lift laying on my back. Intead of buying or making this C-3182 holder, I jacked up one of the rear tires (blocking the other tires so the car doesnt roll) and rotated the shaft to get each bolt where it was accesable for my socket wrench to grab. Once in the right position I shifted the trans in park to hold it in positon. Did the same thing for the reamining 3 bolts. For the flange nut you need a 32mm deep socket

5 - I didn't have a puller handy to remove the rear output flange, so I just tapped it out with a hammer rotating it as I went along. Mine came off easy

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum njnitro. :wave:
When you have a chance, head over to the
Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Good info njnitro. Thanks for adding that to this thread. :rep:
I'm sure it will assist someone down the road. :smileup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greetings,

That was such clear comprehensive session thank you . Can you please tell me the part number for the rear seal. I received the order from the dealer but i think by mistake they got the front seal (attached photo#1).

I believe the correct part is the attached photo#2
Can you tell me which one i need?

Please find the diagram Photo#3 to guide me. Photo#4 for the little leaky seal

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts