Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long winded question and thanks to whoever can help...
I have a 2009 Nitro SLT, 4WD with 60,000 miles. The other day, the front right hand caliper stuck. I replaced the the brake pads, rotors, caliper as well as the hub assembly because this thing got so hot, it completely melted the speed sensor wiring so at that heat level I figured the wheel bearing is likely to be bad so I replaced the entire hub assembly which comes with the new speed sensor installed.

Anyway, after putting everything together, a friend told me the trouble may have not been the caliper and could have been a collapsing brake hose. The hose looks good upon a visual inspection but it could still be bad inside, not sure. My experience tells me that brake hoses usually last the life of the car. However; rather than take a chance, I decided to replace the hose. I talked to the dealer and they said the hose and tubing back to the master cylinder is one piece so you have to replace the whole thing. And they said they can't get the part because it is on back order. O'reilly's auto parts sells just the hose but then you have to buy a separate steel line and custom bend it to route it across the firewall above the engine back to the master cylinder (sounds like a time consuming big pain in the butt).

Questions:
1. How can I test the hose to make sure it is still good with the new caliper installed?
2. If there is now way to test or the test fails, couldn't I cut the brake line at the hose end and install a fitting and flare the tube so I can connect directly to the O'reilly hose if the line can be made to reach the new hose or splice in a short section of brake line?
3. Am I making this a bigger deal than what it is and should I just connect the old line back up and test drive?
4. The brake line is black and looks like plastic. I've never heard of a plastic brake line. Is this really steel with a plastic coating?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Caliper loose from the rig. Brake lines bled.
Press the brake till the caliper plunger comes out a little. Then press the caliper piston back into the caliper with the correct tool. If it moves out/in your OK. It does take a little pressure to get it to move back in. That is normal. It will also take a little time as it moves. IE it will move slowly back in.
You will need a caliper compression tool for true results. A clamp can cause the piston to go in at an angle and bind up.
Do not press directly on the caliper plunger, OEM is ceramic/composite makeup and will chip/break.

Most folks with big lifts installed cut/flair and install longer brake hoses. Or use a compression fitting.

Reactions: Metaldog
1 - 2 of 2 Posts