Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after about 10 months of trying to like my Nitro, I give up...today was the final straw. I bought it back in May with 55,XXX miles. I had always loved the look of the Nito, seemed tough and rugged looking. I happily drove of the lot with it with an ear to ear grin, finally owning one of the vehicles that had always caught my eye when I saw one drive past. I did my research and was selective on the vehicle I was going to buy. It was a one-owner, clean Carfax, had all the service history from the dealer. The service history consisted of all the oil changes and checkups, the only issue it had ever had was a fuel pump and transfer case seal being changed. It was very well maintained and seemed to be a great vehicle with its maintenance history.
Fast forward two months and the A/C goes out. Dealer fixed it, month later it's out again...keep in mind it's now June/July in 100 degree humid Nebraska weather in a black on black vehicle. Then the TIPM unit takes a crap, which I replaced with a used Nitro to try to save some money and that one is bad as well...luckily they refunded my money. Then the radio goes out, then the driver's window button pivot point snaps with just a push to start the auto-down. So the window is down and can't get it back up, no A/C, no stereo, the wipers and horn sporatically go off...awesome. Jimmy rigged the window button with some ingenuity, but still screwed on the A/C and stereo.
Now today the ABS, traction and stability control and e-brake lights all come on with a chime. This was while it was snowing on top of already icy roads and now the traction/stability control and ABS won't work. The ABS module is bad. I don't feel safe having my wife driving my kids around in it which is the opposite of how I should feel about a 4X4 SUV.
I've tried to like this vehicle, I gave it an honest try. But this is the worst, most problematic POS I have ever owned. I regret the day I bought it every time I get in it to drive to work. I'm 42 years old and have been a die hard Mopar fan since I was 15 when my dad gave me his roached out 1970 Barracuda that I've restored. I have owned several Chrysler vehicles but after this I will never own another one. I had a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I had 160,000 miles on it, the only thing I replaced was a cracked exhaust manifold at 130,000 miles along with a crankshaft positioning sensor. I sold it because I just wanted something with less miles. So 14 years after Chrysler made my Jeep that spins out 160,000+ miles their new cars can go more than 60,000 miles with out major problems? I still have the Barracuda and will always have that but I will look to other brands for reliable daily drivers. The Nitro is getting traded in as soon as I fix the crap that is keeping me from being able to let the dealer take it for a test drive.

·
Lighting Guru!
3,633 Posts
First off, welcomed on the forum. I am sorry to hear it is under these circumstances.
The issues you speak of are for the most part not that common on the Nitro aside from the TIPM issues.
Hopefully you can get it fixed and move on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to also mention that on top of all the problems with the Nitro I usually get 12.8 to 13.2 mpg. I have an app on my phone I use to keep track of all my vehicle's maintenance and fill ups. Keep in mind I live in Nebraska, FLAT driving and I don't beat on it. I am doing about 80% of my driving in the city. The best I have ever seen with it was 20.8 on the interstate, driving just 90 miles between filling up again. This is also with a K&N FIPK unit. It's been to the dealer twice to get it figured out, they had the computer flashed and updated and had no improvements on mileage. I put in a new set of plugs when I bought it, along with new serpentine belt and hoses. I may as well have a full size truck, I'd get better mileage.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,326 Posts
Hello and welcome angryjohnny, :wave: to the Nitro “Z” family!
Sorry to hear of your issues.
Any work the dealer performed to the A/C should have a warranty on it.
Did you ever get the TIPM replaced? Most of your issues could be related to the bad TIPM, since they are electrical in nature. ABS, TCS, ESP light, check fuse J6 & J7. I use a switch to disable these systems when wheeling, essentially the same as pulling the J6 fuse.
Your mileage is worse then I am getting with my lift, over-sized tires and rack. What engine does it have? What plugs did you put in it?
The 3.7 is designed to run best on cheap plugs. "Spark Plugs 3.7 Liter ZFR6F-11G" or equivalent(Gap 0.043”) The 3.7 hates platinum plugs!

I'm looking forward to your future posts & Pics. We love Pics here!
We also like new Mod ideas. :smileup:
Enjoy the forumZ.
Scar

BTW;
If you go to your User CP and fill in the details (Vehicle: ) info about your rig, the easier it will be for us to answer questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions. :thk:
As you can see in the upper right of every post I make;
This is what I drive:
Vehicle: 07 Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Light Khaki Metallic

·
Registered
266 Posts
WOW ! You have had some issues with your Nitro. ScarO is the "Nitro Geru". If one change could fix all those problems, it might be worth the try. I am on my second Nitro and still in love! Don't be so hard on Chrysler, everybody has lemons!

Ans Welcome to the Forum! It's the BEST !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my Nitro is a 2008 3.7L 4X4 Auto. The plugs I put in were the NGK plugs you specified. No the TIPM has not been replaced. The strange thing with the is when the stereo was being all goofy I pulled the fuse for it and then all the other weird stuff stopped. I had the wipers, dash lights and blinkers going nuts, after pulling the stereo fuse it went back to normal. I pulled the stereo and wired the power into the cig lighter plug to see if it was the stereo or the TIPM causing the stereo to shut off and power back off intermittently and the stereo still was acting up. So is it possible for the jacked up stereo to be causing the weird issues with the wipers, dash lights and blinkers???

The A/C problem ended up being traced to the valve on the low pressure hose, dealer insisted on having to replace the low pressure hose at a cost of $600. This was after they supposedly fixed it the first time and said the system held pressure. I told them the valve was replaceable (like $16 on wermopar.com) and that changing that would make the most sense to me. I was told by the service dept manager that the valves were non-servicable and the only fix was replacing the hose at their ridiculous price. I told him they are crazy to try to charge that much and haven't been back since.
On the new problem of the ABS I am going to check for loose plugs first before buying a new ABS module. Sucks right now for working on my car since it's -10 degrees here with wind chill and I'm not backing my babies out of the garage in this crappy weather.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,326 Posts
The OEM headunit uses a CAN (computer talk) network to turn it on.
When you hit the "on" button, the HU(Radio) sends a HU "ON" message to the cluster, which in turn requests power from the TIPM be sent to the HU. Without the CAN network the HU will not turn on. This is why you can't install the HU in another rig without the same CAN network. I'm amazed the HU worked at all when using the lighter power wire, because the TIPM monitors the power usage on the HU wire. If the TIPM does not detect a draw on that wire after receiving a HU "on" signal, it will send a message to the cluster, which relays this to the HU to turn "off".

08 seems to be the year with the most TIPM issues. There have actually been 4 documented TIPM fires here on the forum caused by an internal short.
GET THAT TIPM OUT OF THERE ASAP! Till then, carry an extinguisher and don't park it close to your house unless you pull the Neg(-) battery wire. One TIPM fire happened while it was just parked...

When you replace the TIPM get a used one from a Nitro with the same options as your ride, Engine, trany, etc...
You can not use a TIPM from a different ride, it has to be from a Nitro.
After it is installed, you may still need a dealer to flash it for your rides configuration.
But at least it will run to get you there.
Read here and post 17 has installation instructions.
A new TIPM if not ordered with your VIN# will have to be flashed at a dealer. In some situations even when ordered with your VIN#, it will still have to be flashed before the rig will run.

I hope the ABS issue is just a bad plug/connection/sensor. If you go to an auto parts store they will usually check for codes for free. Get the codes, post them up, and we can go from there.
A new ABS unit has to be programed in the computers by a dealer for it to work.
I do not know of anyone putting in a used one, so I do not know if it is plug and play.

BTW; Thanks for filling in your details. :rep:

·
Registered
1 Posts
my Nitro is a 2008 3.7L 4X4 Auto. The plugs I put in were the NGK plugs you specified. No the TIPM has not been replaced. The strange thing with the is when the stereo was being all goofy I pulled the fuse for it and then all the other weird stuff stopped. I had the wipers, dash lights and blinkers going nuts, after pulling the stereo fuse it went back to normal. I pulled the stereo and wired the power into the cig lighter plug to see if it was the stereo or the TIPM causing the stereo to shut off and power back off intermittently and the stereo still was acting up. So is it possible for the jacked up stereo to be causing the weird issues with the wipers, dash lights and blinkers???

The A/C problem ended up being traced to the valve on the low pressure hose, dealer insisted on having to replace the low pressure hose at a cost of $600. This was after they supposedly fixed it the first time and said the system held pressure. I told them the valve was replaceable (like $16 on wermopar.com) and that changing that would make the most sense to me. I was told by the service dept manager that the valves were non-servicable and the only fix was replacing the hose at their ridiculous price. I told him they are crazy to try to charge that much and haven't been back since.
On the new problem of the ABS I am going to check for loose plugs first before buying a new ABS module. Sucks right now for working on my car since it's -10 degrees here with wind chill and I'm not backing my babies out of the garage in this crappy weather.
Have you checked fuse box? doesnt the abs have a fuse

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,326 Posts
Welcome to the forum @ConfusedTHCGuy. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and start a thread to say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.
See post 4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts