Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a lot I like about the Nitro but I have a few questions and it looks like this is the place to get answers! Here goes:
Anyone towing with the 3.7? I have a small travel trailer, about 2,000 lbs. My 2000 Cherokee with the 4.0 did fine with it. Now I have an '03 Grand Cherokee, same engine - different transmission and it's a dog. I would rather have the new 4L but in an SLT model. I'm wondering if they will do that in '08. Does the 3.7 have enough zip in everyday driving?
Not sure if I will miss the low range in 4wheel. I do use it sometimes - almost 1/2 mile driveway, sometimes not plowed, but I see some posts here praising the Nitro's ability, with better tires.
Headlights - my GC's low beams are pitiful, Nitro better?
I test drove a Liberty in '05 and did not like it. Why will I like the Nitro?
Anyone else with back problems - how are the seats treating you?
That's it for now - still deciding to sell the GC now or wait...

·
Registered
24 Posts
There's a lot I like about the Nitro but I have a few questions and it looks like this is the place to get answers! Here goes:
Anyone towing with the 3.7? I have a small travel trailer, about 2,000 lbs. My 2000 Cherokee with the 4.0 did fine with it. Now I have an '03 Grand Cherokee, same engine - different transmission and it's a dog. I would rather have the new 4L but in an SLT model. I'm wondering if they will do that in '08. Does the 3.7 have enough zip in everyday driving?
Not sure if I will miss the low range in 4wheel. I do use it sometimes - almost 1/2 mile driveway, sometimes not plowed, but I see some posts here praising the Nitro's ability, with better tires.
I just bought my Nitro today, but I have been looking at it for about a year now. I have major back problems which is one of the major reasons why I was not liking my Chrysler 300M - great car, just to low to crawl out of. I haven't taken my Nitro on a long trip yet, but have done a little bit of running around today and it has been a surprisingly comfortable ride! I love it! The turning radius is better than I thought it would be to. I was a little leary of the 3.7L but - it has the pickup and go!! I think you'll love the Nitro!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The 3.7L will handle everything you listed pretty well & yes it is comfortable to ride in & throw some silverstars or like bulbs in the heads & you are god to go.The nitro handles really well for not having 4wh low though I did get much better tires no problems & trust me we do get & keep lots of snow.:pepper:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've towed a 2200 lb ATV trailer with my Nitro several times with no issues at all. Acceleration is good, braking is fine, mileage goes down to 13 - 15 mpg (compared to 18 - 20 mpg without).
Much heavier & I'd get trailer brakes. I'll be towing a 4000 ski boat before long (tandem axle & surge brakes) and will let everyone know how it goes at that point. I'll have to retrofit a weight distribution hitch on it for the Nitro to do the job.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like you have the SLT and color I would want. Another question - in the brochure it says the tow pkg. comes with a 4 pin plug - is that true, or does it come with the 7? My trailer has brakes and I don't like having to rewire. Any sag in the rear with the trailer hooked up? I had to put air shocks on my Cherokee even though the trailer is only 2,000 lbs. Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Streetdancer: Right on! Lookin forward to spring..... when I can cruise with the sunroof wide open! Frankly, I expect the Nitro to do a fair job with a boat this heavy. If it tows over the passes trouble free, I'll be exstatic!
It's funny, Thursday night after work I installed the sunroof wind deflector (found a brand spankin new one for $7 on Ebay). Drove to work on Friday with the sunroof wide open..... heat cranked & 18 degrees out..... but it was SUNNY!

SteveB: If you get the factory tow group, it comes with the 7 prong round jack on the truck, and a 7-4 adapter in the glovebox.
The Nitro doesn't sag at all towing my ATV trailer, which is 14' with the axle in the middle, so there is one 500 lb ATV in front, which makes me think the tongue weight is probably like 300 lbs. There is an OK pic of the Nitro & trailer in my member gallery. I'd give you a link but that doesn't appear to work on this site.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't think you will have problems towing a 2,000 trailer with the Nitro. Although the 3.7 is an estimated 210 horsepower the rear end ratio is low enough at 3.73 to make up the difference. So hook up and go and I think you will be surprised.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Looks like you have the SLT and color I would want. Another question - in the brochure it says the tow pkg. comes with a 4 pin plug - is that true, or does it come with the 7? My trailer has brakes and I don't like having to rewire. Any sag in the rear with the trailer hooked up? I had to put air shocks on my Cherokee even though the trailer is only 2,000 lbs. Thanks for replying.
If it comes with the 4 pin plug and it isn't what you need for your trailer that is no problem. You can buy an adapter that is just like a plug and play, it simply plugs into the 4 pin plug on the Nitro and you plug in your 7 pin or whatever it is into this adapter. No mods will be necessary, no wires cut or added or stripped. Just spend about $10 and you are good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.