Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a Euro spec Dodge Nitro RT 4.0 -2007 which is having major problems. I have been reading different sites and my conclusion is that the TIPM probably is failing. But I would be happy to get a second opinion and also some ideas how to solve this the best way. In my country there is not many Chrysler dealerships left, and the few I have found is too far away and they also did not know about any TIPM in the Dodge.

This is how my car behaves:

- CEL with codes for both post cat O2 sensors, replaced them but no change, engine hesitating or running rough.

- The engine has shut off a few times when turning to the right. No problem restarting it.

- Sometimes all the warning lights in the instrument cluster comes on, at the same time the windscreen wipers start, the AC and radio dies. At first the car only did this when turning to the right or going over a bump. Now it happens almost all the time. But if I press the brake pedal hard it will go back to normal, and when releasing the brake the lights come on again.
One thing I found so strange is that if I open the driver door window by just an inch the car will behave normally again, and the problems will not come back (except the CEL which is lit all the time)! But as soon as I close the window all the problems comes back until I open the window a little bit again!

I have removed the TIPM and cleaned the connections and looked for broken wires nearby and also inside the car. And left the battery disconnected overnight.

Is there any possibility that another component then the TIPM is failing? Like the steering wheel module? I have read on a TIPM rebuilder company site that if a component in the car is turning on by itself (windscreen wipers) it is not a TIPM problem, is that true?

If I buy a used TIPM with the same part number from a Dodge Nitro, but from different year and with different engine, will it work in my car without reprogramming at the dealership?
How about a rebuilt one, would that be plug and play? Maybe the best would be to sent my own for repair, but sending stuff from Europe to USA will probably cause problems with extra taxes etc.

Sorry for my long post! I would be very grateful for any help! :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum!
Post cat sensors may be ok, maybe cats itself are bad. Have you compared pre and post cat sensors when engine is running? Sensor fault codes can not be related to TIPM.
As for a bad TIPM, you have nothing to lose. Remove it and disassemble it completely. There are several layers of circuit boards on top of it and one vertical board(main control unit)- There may be oxidations between boards, inspect them thoroughly and clean everything with alcohol/compressed air. TAKE A LOT OF PICTURES
And I'm pretty sure new/used TIPM needs programming.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer!
Regarding the O2 sensor error codes, I have not compared sensor values, but I know I can see the "live values" in the diagnosis tool. Would bank 1 be the driver side? And sensor 1 = pre cat, sensor 2 post cat.

I changed the spark plugs today, and found all three plugs on the passenger side completely covered in black sooth, where the driver side plugs had no black sooth at all, and were in good condition.
Could this be normal due to EGR gases or crank house ventilation, or is it for some reason overcompensating with fuel and running rich on just one side?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
A lot happening with this rig.

The 4.0 does not use the standard # system as most rigs because the 4.0 was originally designed as a cross mounted engine for a mini-van.
So the 4.0 is backward from convention.
Piston 1(Bank 1) is on the passenger side of the 4.0.
O2 sensor 1 is the closest to the engine(pre-CAT)
O2 sensor 2 is the farther from the engine(post-CAT).
Here is a 4.0 graphic from meder24...

It it recommended you replace both pre- and post- CAT O2 sensors on one/both side/s at the same time. This is because if you leave one old one and only replace 1 of the two, the readings from the old one can throw off the #s enough to cause a CEL.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
Now on to the other electrical stuff.
The original issue when only turning right or a bump says clock-spring.
Does this rig have steering wheel radio controls? If so, that also could lead to clock-spring.

The window thing has me baffled.
Just for grins take a look at this.
https://www.nitroforumz.com/threads/tipm-repair-export.40350/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your answers!
I forgot to say that my diagnosis tool shows a lot of CAN-related errors, almost every control unit in the car stores error codes like "lost communication". Also, when the problem occurs, all the gauges in the instrument cluster dies and it shows "no bus".

I have checked the ground connections beside the drivers left foot.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are those can-related errors for interior-bus or powertrain-bus? Depending on your car's equipment, you car might have control modules in front doors (also on interior-bus). I would disconnect driver door module and see what happens- something is killing your bus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are mostly interior related, I have door control modules, they both set communication errors. I will try that, thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do you have the steering wheel radio controls ?
do you or did you have any damp or condensation in the vehicle ?.
I can't check if it has radio controls right now, but it has the "thumb buttons" with the arrows etc. at the steering wheel.

When troubleshooting and looking for bad cables I found that the cable duct (or what the english name is) under the drivers feet carpet with two big cable harnesses had water in it. I removed the carpets and isolation and let everything dry and cleaned it. Inspected the cables very careful but didn't find any defect.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
firstly i would find out where the water came from, because the condensation will cause all kinds of electrical issues, clockspring, multifunction switches, window switches, cluster, the list is endless.
the water may have come from the heater core ?.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
I can't check if it has radio controls right now, but it has the "thumb buttons" with the arrows etc. at the steering wheel.
Thumb buttons = radio controls on the steering wheel.
No BUS error is never good.
You will need to get everything dry. Which will be quite a task.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I have checked and it has steering wheel radio controls.

I was not coolant under the floor carpet, just water. So probably not a leaking heater core. My guess would be that it comes from melted snow from the drivers shoes. And because of the isolation under the carpet it hasn't dried.
When inspecting other parts of the interior I have not seen any sign of oxidation or damp areas. No smell in the car either.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
Does it have a sunroof? If so, is the headliner wet on the drivers side?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does it have a sunroof? If so, is the headliner wet on the drivers side?
No sunroof. When removing the battery the problem usually does not occur for a day or two, I will do more troubleshooting when it comes back.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
first i would dry out the interior (totaly), and i'll tell you why, i didn't use my Nitro over the winter for about 3 month and it sat outside in the cold, everyday when the sun came out the front windshield would be covered in condensation (inside) so i just opened the door for an hour untill it was gone, but then when i started driving it again, the wipers would randomly switch themselfs on and off and nothing i did would stop them, this carried on for a couple of days, so i dried out the car with a fan heater for a whole day (doors closed, windows open a tiny amount) and never had the issue since (touch wood, fingers crossed and all that).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello again,

I thought I would give you a little update, I have been on vacation but now I am back working with the Dodge Nitro again.
At least one problem is solved, I replaced all four O2 sensors with new ones, same brand and type, now the CEL is gone and no error codes for 02 sensors anymore.

I have taken apart the doors and checked the cables, connections to the control modules etc. Disconnected every connection I could find and cleaned them, behind the panels inside the car too. I also ran an air dryer in the car for a couple of days. Then I had no problems with the car for some days, but just seconds after it was running low on fuel and lit the fuel reserve light the problems came back. Wipers started, all warning lights lit up, radio shut off, "no bus" message and so on. Happened for about 5 seconds. And now it happens every now and then, even with full tank. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts