Here is my version of the poor man's Volant intake.
1 - 3" 90° PVC elbow
1 - 3" PVC pipe cap cut off to 3/4 "
12" - 3" smooth boar flexible RV sewer pipe
# 25 Torx
Flat blade screw driver
Phillips screw driver
2 1/2" Hole saw
1 1/2' barrel sander
I first removed the air box as described by Adonis earlier in this thread.
On the air box, marked and drilled a 2 1/2" hole and then used the barrel sander to enlarge the hole for the 90° pipe elbow. I used the sanding barrel because a 3" hole saw would have made the hole too big.
Cut down the PVC pipe cap to 3/4' to make a securing ring for the 90° PVC elbow.
Inserted the 90° elbow into the air box and pressed on the ring. I did not use glue, as I wanted to be able to remove it if need be.
I then removed the front grill using the Torx, Phillips, and Standard screw drivers.
On the right front, next to the radiator, there is a plastic trim piece that I marked to make the hole for the RAM air.
Drilled a 2 1/2' hole, and then made the hole larger with the barrel sander to just fit the future pipe.
Placed the grill back on the rig and marked the location to drill the hole for the Ram air pipe.
Once again drilling a 2 1/2" hole and sanding barrel to make the hole just large enough for the pipe.
Reinstalled the front grill, here is a look at the holes from inside the engine compartment.
Inserted the 12" of RV sewer pipe threw the holes to the grill. Installed the air box / 90° elbow pipe assembly and inserted the pipe into the 90° elbow.
Here is a pic from the outside with a light in the air box.
Put the K&N filter back in and secured the top to the air box.
You can not see anything very well from the engine compartment so no pic of that.
Final pic from the front. If I have issues with too much watter entering the system I will put a baffle in the pipe. But for now it is working great.
There is a noticeable difference in acceleration and I will let you all know about fuel consumption.