Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the weekend I had several upgrades planned. I changed out the spark plugs (see pic of how bad they were) and then installed a stage 2 jet chip. So far, I am absolutely loving the chip! Very easy to install. It was the 2nd plug for me (orange plug) and snapped right in. It really helps the Nitro especially at highway speeds. The shift points are much better than stock. I'm still running unleaded fuel (87/89) and the OEM thermostat. I do plan on trying either mid-grade or premium gas just to see if it changes any. I read some of the other posts that says it sometimes runs better on unleaded 87/89 so I want to test it out. So far $200 well spent!!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Nice upgrades!
Looking forward to your future postings on performance Vs fuel grade results.

Reactions: Basshead4life

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
You know you really need to do something about those hands of yours! :eek:
Maybe try some emulsifying skin cleanser... Those wrinkles really have to go. :rolleyes: :D

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Hey, that's what we're here for. Nitro owners helping Nitro owners with whatever we can.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright so I had a 1/4 of a tank this morning and added premium 93 fuel to 1/2 a tank mark. This should equal out to about midgrade fuel (89 here). I'm going to test it out and see how it runs with this mix. If it does okay, I will put only premium in it next time and see if it starts running rough or if it still runs strong.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Remind me, have you already done exhaust and a CIA, or are you still stock?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Good deal. Jet recommends those to take full advantage of the chip.
So your #s should be as good as it gets.
Short of adding a 4.7 throttle body. Which was, IMO, the best bang I got for the green.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: 2 days of Interstate and highway driving to and from work with the mix of 93 and 87 octane - The Nitro is loving it so far. Getting 19.8mpg and giving it hell lol. It's definitely a lot more aggressive now with the JET chip and the mixture of gas. Once I get low on fuel, I am going to run only 93 in it and see if there is any more difference. So far so good!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Update: 2 days of Interstate and highway driving to and from work with the mix of 93 and 87 octane - The Nitro is loving it so far. Getting 19.8mpg and giving it hell lol. It's definitely a lot more aggressive now with the JET chip and the mixture of gas. Once I get low on fuel, I am going to run only 93 in it and see if there is any more difference. So far so good!
I've done CAI, Flowmaster 40 series, and resonator delete.

You just used the K&N CAI? And the flowmaster, is that the $500 set that i see on various auto sites for nitros or something else?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You just used the K&N CAI? And the flowmaster, is that the $500 set that i see on various auto sites for nitros or something else?

I'm actually running an eBay CAI, it was $34 lol. And the muffler is just a regular 44 series, nothing too fancy and definitely not $500. It's not the full exhaust set.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
No need for full CAT back system. OEM uses mandrel bent S.S. pipe. All you need, exhaust wise, is a free flowing muffler.
CAI, the colder the air the more power you have. Also relieving the restrictions of all the airflow angles adds up.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
33 Posts
No need for full CAT back system. OEM uses mandrel bent S.S. pipe. All you need, exhaust wise, is a free flowing muffler.
CAI, the colder the air the more power you have. Also relieving the restrictions of all the airflow angles adds up.
But a CAT back would still be better than just whateve you said? Idk what mandrel bent s.s means..

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
But a CAT back would still be better than just whateve you said? Idk what mandrel bent s.s means..
Better for the sellers wallet, not so good for yours.
Mandrel bent means the pipe does not significantly decrease in internal size in a bend. It is the best way to bend exhaust pipe.
S.S is stainless steel.
A CAT back system replaces every pipe, muffler, etc rearward of the catalytic converters. The good quality CAT back systems also use mandrel bent S.S pipe.

Since the Nitro comes with mandrel bent S.S. pipe already, why not save $ by not throwing that away?
Just replace the muffler with a freer flowing muffler, add a short section of straight pipe to make up any difference in length. Then you will still have $3-350 left over, even if you pay someone to install it, to do more Mods to the Nitro. (Like buying a Jet chip.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Better for the sellers wallet, not so good for yours.
Mandrel bent means the pipe does not significantly decrease in internal size in a bend. It is the best way to bend exhaust pipe.
S.S is stainless steel.
A CAT back system replaces every pipe, muffler, etc rearward of the catalytic converters. The good quality CAT back systems also use mandrel bent S.S pipe.

Since the Nitro comes with mandrel bent S.S. pipe already, why not save $ by not throwing that away?
Just replace the muffler with a freer flowing muffler, add a short section of straight pipe to make up any difference in length. Then you will still have $3-350 left over, even if you pay someone to install it, to do more Mods to the Nitro. (Like buying a Jet chip.)
That will give it a nice rumbly sound too?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
If you can ever call a V6 rumbly. LOL
You will never get the V6 to sound like a V8.
There are several sound clips of different exhaust setups in the sticky thread called "Muffler mod sound clips" at the top of this section of the forum.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: I switched to Premium (93) and haven't had any issues. Nitro runs smooth and does extremely well on the highway! Still getting good MPG, around 18, and with the JET chip the Nitro is so much more fun to drive. Definitely gives it that aggressive feel that was much needed.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Whoot! Glad to hear another Jet positive result confirmation.

Reactions: Nitrogen
1 - 20 of 38 Posts