Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here they are:

Here they are:
Increase the Size of the Hard Drive in a MyGig Navigation Unit
- We will copy a 30 gig hard drive to an 80 gig hard drive
- Remove the radio from the vehicle and carefully take out the hard drive
- Use Easeus Disk Copy available here "http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Disk...-10867157.html" to copy the old drive to the newer drive (the software is freeware)
- Leave both the drives connected as you will need to copy & paste the 4th partition later
- The new drive will have 4 partitions and 1 unallocated space
- The 4th partition has to be increased to include the unallocated space
- This is done by using QNX software available here "http://www.qnx.com/download/feature....rogramid=21367" it's an ISO, so burn it to a cd with imaging software
- Boot up with the QNX disk, it will give you 2 options : press F2 to run from cd
- Click "Exit" on the following screen
- Login is "root" there isn't a password and click "Go"
- Go to terminal and type
ls /dev/hd*|grep -v t
press enter - this command lists the hard drives
- Use fdisk command to identify each drive, it will display the size (q) exit
- In my case /dev/hd20 is my larger drive
- Still in terminal, type
fdisk /dev/hd20
press enter and it will list the options
- press 4, press D, press 4, press C
- Type 80, enter, type 1 more than line 3 eg: 1263, enter, the end cylinder is on the bottom right of the page eg: 9728
- Press "S" to save then "Q" to quit
- Still in terminal, type
dinit -h /dev/hd20t80 and press enter ; y - enter
- close terminal and reboot (reboot is important because it mounts the new partition...sometimes you have to repeat the dinit procedure)
- Go into:
"utilities" - "file manager" - double click the folder under bookmarks - double click "fs" - hd10-qnx4-4
- Copy all the files in that partition
- Go to hd20-qnx4-4 and paste the contents into this partition
- You now have a new 80 gig hard drive to put into your vehicle.
Thanks to all who helped getting me started with this!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
- Go into:
"utilities" - "file manager" - double click the folder under bookmarks - double click "fs" - hd10-qnx4-4
- Copy all the files in that partition
I upgraded my original 20GB HDD to a 40GB over a year ago when the original HDD was starting to fail. Although I easily cloned the old drive to the new one it still read as a 20GB. I've been unable to expand the 4th partition.

After reading this thread I decided to give it a try. I was able to expand the 4th partition without much difficulty. The problem I'm having is the old HDD is about shot. QNX will not recognize the old drive via the file manager. The new HDD shows up in the list just fine. I can see the old HDD and each of the 4 partitions if I go into terminal mode and type "fdisk /dev/hd20", so I'm hoping it still has enough life left to copy the files.

Can you tell me the command line I would need to type in terminal mode to be able to copy and paste the files from the old HDD /dev/hd20 4th partition over to the new HDD /dev/hd30 4th partition?

When I expanded the 4th partition on the new HDD it wiped out all the files on there. I have backups of the music files but not the nav database or anything else that resides in the 4th partition that's needed for the MyGIG to work. I'm hoping this terminal mode command line idea will work or I'm SOL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TedE
Have you tried the freezer trick? Put the hard drive in the freezer for an hour or so and then hook up the adapter and see if qnx sees it. Then you can copy info.
This command "cp -Rt my_directory backup_directory" is one I found on the qnx site replacing my_directory with the one the files are in and the backup_directory your destination directory.
Before doing all that, though, I would copy the old drive over with easus and then use the new drive to make another back-up drive. This way you have 2 good drives.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know what happened to the previous post but here is what I wanted to say!!

I've done some testing and the command to copy the partition contents is:
"cp -Mqnx -rv /fs/hd20-qnx-4 /fs/hd30-qnx4-4"

Hope it works for you.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum dr.amon. :wave:
When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

I can't help with your question. But hopefully someone will be along soon who can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but i'm getting desperate here. Been trying to upgrade my HDD for about 9 months to no avail.
I've managed to clone the drive ok as far as i know because the cloned drive works fine when installed in the head unit.
However, when try to mount the drive using QNX Live CD i get an error telling me of corrupted file system ( image attached ).
Any suggestions ? I'm kinda reluctant to trying on the original HDD in case things go pear shaped.

Really hope someone can help... :(

Text Commemorative plaque Font

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.