Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the intake in the mail today got right on it after work, went ahead & pulled the filter bx. pull up & back its gone pointed the filter at the horn that let air into the filter bx. plenty of space when it is gone & a lot more air can come in will watch to see if rain gets in there may have to do something later.Doesn't sound different than stock box unless you get on it I like that, you hear it then though way cool. no cel thats cool. Will watch MPG's to see if any diff. I really like the looks & a great big THANKS to gAbe for hooking me up.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dan....looks awesome! How much? Where did you get it from? Oh and was this one made for the nitro or did you have to add "parts?"

Lastly, what about the air sensoor?

I want to do one bad, but am just shying away until you guys have it all figured out for me!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
StreetDancer, cost $120.00 ,comes complete I did buy 3-5/8" hose clamps but that was just me adding them were not really needed. Port for the IAT was on the tube as well as a flex tube for the oil breather. I PM'd you will wait to hear. Dan:4-jump2:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but why do you expect this to work any better than a box that is actually connected to the outside air? Sure it's in front of the opening, but an engine creates a pretty powerful vacuum and the fact is, you're going to be sucking a lot of hot engine-heated under-hood air into that.

The only real benefit I see here is the smooth tube behind the filter. I haven't paid attention to any stock under-hood photos but virtually every other Dodge I've seen uses corrugated tubes and that's awful for airflow.

It's pretty well known amongst Viper owners (who get obsessive about this performance stuff) that the under-hood cone filters don't work nearly as well as regular square S&B or K&N filters that use the stock airbox -- and the Viper has a nice big NACA duct feeding outside air directly to that location, and the filter is in front of the hot radiator and quite a bit further from the engine.

I would expect this setup to have no positive effects, and potentially have minor negative effects.

It does look nice though. Sorry, just being honest here.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It would be interesting to see some actual dyno numbers using the two different intakes. I've heard this theory before, but have installed the open element style intake on other vehicles with pretty good luck. Not just with increased power, but also MPG.

And then I installed a basic K&N element in the stock airbox on my Dakota & saw no improvement whatsoever, other than the fact that I didn't have to buy another filter ever again.

So your saying to just replace the tube itself? And maybe a K&N element?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK point taken, I have noticed increased throttle response that lag that was there is gone+1, sound when you get on it way cool +2, to my mind 75+% of Eng.hot air is behind filter (ck pics.)+3, possible negative effects(could be)-1, customer satisfaction making it my NITRO & making me happy+1,000,000. At my age (took me a lot of years to learn this) if it feels good ,makes you happy & content do it.) Summation not debating your points I am not a gearhead can fix your boiler or furnace but you don't call me to fix your truck. If you notice the statement that got the most points that's the one that concerns me most & everyday you wake up without a lid over you is a great day. Every mod that makes you happy is a great mod. No offence to anyone just my way of looking at things. Dan:pepper::4-jump2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.