Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been on for a while but wanted to check to see if anyone has a really good solution to cleaning interior stains. I have read alot of ideas and tips in the threads and tried most of them without getting anywhere....I tried the soap and water and now i have stains that are surrounded by what looked like a dried water ring....

There are issues on my seats and the headliner....Please help with any product that actually will work....I took it in for detail and it looked like the stains were gone until it all dried and then there they are....

I am about ready to throw my hands up at it and just get some seat covers but my car is still to new to just let the seats go....

Any product names that work on this issue????

· Registered
7,632 Posts
Tuff Stuff Spot and Stain Remover it is an aerosol foam....this is what I used on the mustang and have used on my headliner of the nitro when fat-greasie-finger service cow left stains on my liner...who knows why her hands were there anyway, there was no issue up there. it is almost gone....ver faint. if it will work on the liner it will surely work on the seats....I thought they were sprayed w/ a resistant?

· Registered
7,632 Posts
Meangirl I can tell you why her hands were there, but you don't want to hear that. Anywho, I have a couple of stains on my driver side pillar. I just drive in the dark so I don't see them. :D
okay 1st eeeewww! 2nd...you are too funny...get out there and clean those stains you bad weed....lol

· Registered
7,632 Posts
Bad weed I am, I think I have only washed my 6 times in the year I have had her, and three of those were at the dealership. Have yet to hand wash her. Guess I just like my girls dirty. :druge:
oh you are just wrong.... you get diseases from dirty girls...did your momma teach you anything?:chuckle:

· Registered
2,606 Posts
I have not been on for a while but wanted to check to see if anyone has a really good solution to cleaning interior stains. I have read alot of ideas and tips in the threads and tried most of them without getting anywhere....I tried the soap and water and now i have stains that are surrounded by what looked like a dried water ring....

There are issues on my seats and the headliner....Please help with any product that actually will work....I took it in for detail and it looked like the stains were gone until it all dried and then there they are....

I am about ready to throw my hands up at it and just get some seat covers but my car is still to new to just let the seats go....

Any product names that work on this issue????
Before you look at cleaning products, you need to understand the science of stains.

The stain is made of of one of 3 types of stuff:

1. Polar material - ballpoint ink, salt, blood etc
2. NonPolar Material- Grease, oil wax, lipstick, cheese etc
3. Insoluable Material- dirt, dust, sand

Water and detergent can help remove all of these to some extent but when something is soluable in water (polar material) it will tend to "wick" out and form rings. The answer to this is to use a cleaning machine that vacuums out the water and soap as you go-- Little Green Clean Machine for example. If you have stains that re-appear, you need one of these machines as the stain has wicked below the seat covers and into the padding.

The other choice on small stains is to blot the area dry with paper towels as much as possible after cleaning.

Detergents and soaps are chemicals that have both a polar and a non-polar end. Once something dries howerver, a dertergent may not take it out. For these stubborn stains, you need to use a polar solvent on a polar stain and a non-polar solvent on a non-polar stain.

Example:

Polar: Water, alcohol, acetone, Nail polish remover
Non-polar: Mineral spirits, kerosene, lighter fluid

Be careful with strong solvents like acetone or lighter fluid as they can damage plastics. A safe bet is alcohol for polar and mineral spirits for nonpolar.

Use caution as most of these solvents are highly flamable and some have nasty fumes. Use them in a small area at a time and keep the windows and doors open.

Once you use the cleaning solvent, it is best to follow up with a good wash with your Little Green Clean Machine again.

Sorry, but there is no easy way out.

Hope this helps

Ken

· Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Before you look at cleaning products, you need to understand the science of stains.

The stain is made of of one of 3 types of stuff:

1. Polar material - ballpoint ink, salt, blood etc
2. NonPolar Material- Grease, oil wax, lipstick, cheese etc
3. Insoluable Material- dirt, dust, sand

Water and detergent can help remove all of these to some extent but when something is soluable in water (polar material) it will tend to "wick" out and form rings. The answer to this is to use a cleaning machine that vacuums out the water and soap as you go-- Little Green Clean Machine for example. If you have stains that re-appear, you need one of these machines as the stain has wicked below the seat covers and into the padding.

The other choice on small stains is to blot the area dry with paper towels as much as possible after cleaning.

Detergents and soaps are chemicals that have both a polar and a non-polar end. Once something dries howerver, a dertergent may not take it out. For these stubborn stains, you need to use a polar solvent on a polar stain and a non-polar solvent on a non-polar stain.

Example:

Polar: Water, alcohol, acetone, Nail polish remover
Non-polar: Mineral spirits, kerosene, lighter fluid

Be careful with strong solvents like acetone or lighter fluid as they can damage plastics. A safe bet is alcohol for polar and mineral spirits for nonpolar.

Use caution as most of these solvents are highly flamable and some have nasty fumes. Use them in a small area at a time and keep the windows and doors open.

Once you use the cleaning solvent, it is best to follow up with a good wash with your Little Green Clean Machine again.

Sorry, but there is no easy way out.

Hope this helps

Ken

You amaze me more with every post Ken....:rep:

· Registered
7,632 Posts

· Join!Resistance is futile
15,667 Posts
You are all very welcome.

All technical BS aside, I swear by the Bissel Little Green Clean Machine as the best auto interior detail tool.

BTW I don't even remotely work for the company-- these are great machines.

They are also good if you have kids and/or pets.

Ken
Yes ken they are good I have one too! :smileup:

· Registered
2,606 Posts
You are all very welcome.

All technical BS aside, I swear by the Bissel Little Green Clean Machine as the best auto interior detail tool.

BTW I don't even remotely work for the company-- these are great machines.

They are also good if you have kids and/or pets.

Ken
Here's a good tip for you.

To help the fabric dry, add 4-6 oz of pure denatured (ethanol) alcohol to you cleaning solution.

Don't use Methanol as it may be too harsh. You can buy the denatured etananol where ever paint is sold. It is typically used to dilute shellac.

Ken

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.