Intermittent Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro Mechanical Problems and Questions' started by Dale Howard, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Dale Howard

Dale Howard New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 nitro automatic
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Sunburst Orange
    Hi everyone,

I've been a member for nearly 2 years, joining shortly after purchasing a 2007 nitro slt. In the beginning I had a few electrical issues (bad grounds to both headlights a fog light and my brake fluid sensor) since fixing those issues it's been a very fun and practical vehicle for my family. 2 weeks ago the check engine light came on and it began to run poorly, I pulled the codes and they where p0202 and p0302, after clearly the codes it runs fine for a varying amount of time, then the engine light comes on and those codes appear again, once cleared it runs normal again. Could it be a bad harness to the injector in cylinder 2, a bad injector itself, possibly another bad ground? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    P0202 is an injector problem. It will lead to the P0302 miss fire.
    There are only 3 things to check for the P0202; Wiring, injector, and ECM (engine control module).

3. Knitro

Knitro New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Black
    My 2007 3.7 just started doing the same thing yesterday. Check engine light came on in the morning accompanied by very rough acceleration. Later that day I cleared the codes at work and the truck ran fine to get home.

This morning on my way to work, about 20 minutes into the drive, the check engine light came back on and it began to run rough again. I cleared the code at work and all was fine on my way home until the light came back on along with the rough acceleration.

Both times when I plugged the code reader in I had a p0302 and a p0202. I'm wondering why clearing the code makes everything run fine until the code comes back.

4. Dale Howard

Dale Howard New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 nitro automatic
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Sunburst Orange
    Hi Knitro,

Turns out mine was a bad fuel injector, took some time to diagnose it because of how intermittent it was, it took forever to actually have it occur where I could check it. New injector and all is good!

Knitro likes this.
  5. Knitro

Knitro New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Black
    I took it to the shop this morning and the mechanic confirmed that it was the number 2 injector. They replaced it and all is good now.

Scar0 likes this.
  6. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Cool deal. Thanks for getting back to us with the fix.

7. Deanna

Deanna New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Dodge Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Hello,

My nitro is doing the same thing. I had the coil pack replaced on #4 as the check engine light kept bringing up the misfiring code. My mechanic thinks it is the Engine Control Module. I love my Nitro but I really want to trade it in because I owe $5,600 and I just put $1,100.00 into fixing it and now it keeps throwing this code. My mechanic gave me the coil pack replacement for free because I am there so much. So I am looking into replacing the ECM. I just called a place to get one pulled off of a nitro in a junk yard but he is telling me the code on the ECM box has to be the same as what you are replacing it with or it won't work. I need so guidance or advice because that is one thing I have no clue about. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. TIA

8. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Coil pack has to be from the same engine. And if you have 6 separate coil packs, you need one like it. You can't use a coil pack that also has a wire going to another cylinder. Any 07 (3.7) Nitro coil pack should work in your 07 SXT. If you have a 3.7...
    What plugs are in it? The 3.7 hates platinum plugs.

9. Deanna

Deanna New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Dodge Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Hello,

Just standard plugs where in my Nitro. The #4 injector was bad. It was replaced and ran just fine. I ended up trading it in. To many problems. There is two leaks that I couldn't find. It was having leaking problems when I bought it, but dealership wouldn't do anything about it.

Scar0 likes this.
  10. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    @Deanna
    Thanks for getting back to us with the fix to your issue.
    It may help others down the line. :cool:

Deanna likes this.