Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
230,000 miles, '07' Nitro, 3.7L, 42rle... trannys been working pretty decent since I bought the Nitro 3 years ago. It had 180,000 miles when I bought it. When I bought it, I immediately replaced the tranny filter and fluid, using the proper Castrol ATF+4. Starting a couple weeks ago, it started doing this.... Say I'm going 65mph on the hwy and I go to pass a slow vehicle, I step on the gas a little and instead of downshifting one gear, it downshifts 2 gears, and the rpm's go way up near redline. When it happens all I got to do is let off the pedal right away and it shifts back up. It's only done this a couple times, but until a couple weeks ago, it never did that. Any thoughts? Thnx (fluid level is perfect, hasn't leaked a drop in the 50,000 miles I've owned it.. I check the level using a super long cable tie)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A cable tie??
Get yourself an actual dipstick and temperature/level chart and make sure.
The 4 foot long cable tie works as good as and actually better than a dipsick... I tried them both .. The cable tie being white in color with the appropriate level marked on it with a black marker is easier to read.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The level is temperature dependent.
Where are you putting your mark on it?
Exactly where it belongs. Engine and tranny fully warmed up, vehicle in neutral...... Actually, I originally started out with this device on amazon to be sure I got it right.........
Automatic Transmission Dipstick for Chrysler Jeep Dodge - Level Tool with Directions Check auto Trans Fluid Oil Level -Dealer #s : 8863B, 9336, 9336A, 42RLE, NAG1, 62TE 2.7 3.5 3.6 3.7 5.7 6.1

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
for the sake of a few dollars i would change the fluid and Filter again, will also be able to see if there are any fine metals etc in the old fluid (sure sign your tranny is worn),

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
he's the worst leader of a country i have ever seen, i have 2 words " f##king idiot "
yes i know the English leaders are a very close second,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts