Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Issues burping air out of cooling system

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  2pssp 
#1 ·
Hello guys 👋
I have a 2007 Nitro SLT 3.7

I recently had the thermostat changed out and immediately started to have overheating issues. Mechanic thought it was a faulty thermostat and installed a new one but we still have the same issue.

I've been combing the forums and saw a few threads about burping the system. I proceeded to attempt to burp the system but have ran into some issues. When burping a few bubbles begin to rise. After about 3 minutes the bubbles become big gulping bubbles and the coolant begins to spill so I turn off the vehicle. These are the steps I took to burp.

1. Removed radiator cap
2. Removed bleeding valve, attached a funnel.
3. Turned on the car and heater and let sit idle.

Any suggestions on what might be going on here? Is overheating issue being caused by something else?

#2 ·
Was the thermostat installed correctly?
Vacuum system works best if you have a air compressor. If not, then you’ll have to keep trying with the funnel style. Also, on the top of the engine (where the upper radiator hose is connected) their should be a Allen type bleeder screw on the snout to help with bleeding the system. Let it run, crack it open just a enough to allow air out, close it and let it run a couple more minutes, crack it open again, and so on and so fourth… until air stops coming out and solid coolant seeps out

#3 ·
Make sure thermostat is in the housing correctly. I recently had same problem after doing the stat and water pump. After days of farting around it ended up being a backwards t-stat in the housing from the factory

#4 ·
Thanks for the follow up guys.

Since the mechanic replaced the thermostat twice I really didn't think it would be that. So I looked up a YouTube video on how to replace the thermostat. In the video, when he removed the housing the metal spring is facing towards the engine. Upon removing mine I saw that it definitely was on backwards -___- . The spring part was pointing towards the radiator.

I flipped it, drove it, the temp shot up just under 3/4s and then shot back down to the half way mark. It is now driving at the half way mark. I ended up installing a new radiator and water pump before even checking the thermostat. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the help guys, it's very much appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.