Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been awhile since I’ve been here. Just seeing what type of mileage everyone has on their 3.7’s and who here has a manual tranny? My Nitro is a 2008 model.

Bought new, and so far I have just over 292,000 mile on it. Replaced the clutch for the first time at 291,000 and the oil pan has had a slight oil leak for several thousand miles now. Just checked with the dealer and the oil leak will be fixed under the Lifetime warranty that was on the Nitro when I bought it.

Has anyone else used the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty and what was your experience?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,538 Posts
My clutch blew up at 60k Miles.
I missed out on the lifetime warranty, But I know you have to have your rig "inspected" by Dodge every so often to keep the warranty active.
Not even sure if FCA still is honoring the lifetime warranty. Especially since the merger with Peugeot.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s inspected every 5 years to keep the warranty active. They said I was good with it and went ahead and ordered parts for the fix. Due to age and miles, they’re going to go ahead and replace the oil pan. They said they’ll probably warp it during the removal process anyway.

You sure didn’t get a lot of miles on that clutch. Mine just stopped engaging. Didn’t slip not one time. Started getting hard to shift and within a few miles, wouldn’t shift at all. Slave was good. Replaced clutch and all is good now. Figured I’d get the oil leak taken care of now though.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,538 Posts
I was hard on my clutch. Lots of heavy towing and moving slow. Only way to do that is to feather the clutch. Sure wish the manual trany had a granny gear for just that.
I also had no slipping, just Boom! and it was done.
On a side note; The new clutch is much easier to push down. So nice in stop-n-go traffic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pull a trailer with mine pretty often as well. Especially during the Summer, but on short trips to the local Home Depot mostly, or when I’m carrying item’s to the landfill that the weekly service don’t pick up. Heavy stop and go traffic is a clutch killer, and yes, 1st gear is kinda high ratio. When I first started driving the Nitro, I also had a 97 model F-350 Diesel that was a manual.

Big learning curve taking off from a dead stop with the Nitro. F-350 was just ease out the Clutch and you was moving. Nitro was clutch, ease off the break and get on the gas all at the same time.

My Son has the F-350 now and I just can’t seem to bring myself to getting another truck right now though. I’ll borrow the truck when I need a heavy haul. But so far the little Nitro has been impressive except for the two times that I’ve had to replace the TPM. About a grand each time to replace. This last one has lasted several years now, so my fingers stay crossed on that one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scar0, while we’re on the topic of Manual Tranny’s. Have you had yours to jump out of gear on take-off while in 1st gear? Mine has done it for several years now and I mentioned it to them the first time I took it in for inspection.

They basically said they had heard of it happening and basically couldn’t do anything until it actually broke. When it does it, it does it hard and it’s loud. Almost like you’ve hit something hard. But so far it hasn’t broke the entire tranny though. While they have it, I’m going to mention it to them again though.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,538 Posts
Never had it happen in first gear. Second gear a couple times when it was new. I think that was mostly my fault. But there is a TSB out about popping out of gear.
Other thing I noticed is it is easy to have something slip down into the shift handle boot. That makes it real hard to shift when the handle hits it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never had it happen in first gear. Second gear a couple times when it was new. I think that was mostly my fault. But there is a TSB out about popping out of gear.
Other thing I noticed is it is easy to have something slip down into the shift handle boot. That makes it real hard to shift when the handle hits it!
Yeah, my shift boot is in bad bad shape. It needs replaced, but I have yet found a aftermarket one that will fit properly and the new factory one is priced like Gold. Over $300 for plastic and rubber.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,538 Posts
$70 on Ebay 1GM871J8AA The J8 is color code Dark Khaki
$90 On Ebay1GM871DVAA The DV is color code Dark Slate Gray

Reactions: Nitrogen
1 - 9 of 9 Posts