Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Tuesday I jumped off a Civic Si having some issues getting her car to start. Hooked up the cables, jumped it off, and the day continued as usual. However, the next morning, I approached the car, pressed the unlock button on the keyfob and nothing happened. I unlocked the driver door using the key and noticed the interior lights weren't coming on.

Thinking it was just a little battery drain after putting the key in and hearing nothing I popped the hood. Nothing looked out of place so I hooked up the cables to our "trash truck," a 90 GMC Sierra, to jump it off. To my disappoinment, after 10 minutes or so the car was still unresponsive. I came to the conclusion that it was the battery. I removed it, took it up to the local auto parts store and had it tested. The battery had just over 2 volts of power in it. The tech suggested a charge on their system since the battery was still good, no apparent cell breakdown.

After having it charged, the tech suggested I bring my Nitro back to have the charging system checked since the battery had such an abnormally low charge. Took it home, dropped the battery in, and brought it back with no evident issues. To my surprise, everything checked out to be in perfect working order. The starter was fine as was the alternator. The battery seemed to be fine, but the readout for the voltage was odd, it was lower than when I left the store earlier from having it charged. I waa reassured that it would be just fine with the alternator workinf properly, just drive around for a bit and let it charge up as it should.

I was relieved and drove home thinking everything was ok. Having been in the car for an hour I was sure the battery had received adequate charge. Took a shower and decided to head uptown to do some grocery shopping when, you guessed it, the battery was nearly dead. I took the battery out the next morning and had it replaces thinking that this would remedy the issue.

A week went by and I went to leave the house and noticed that the red battery dash icon has come which is indicative of a problem with the charging system. Went on the boards and found that a few others had experienced this and had their Nitros die a few minutes later.

I put the car back in the driveway and popped the hood. Instantly noticed two things were definitely out of place. The cable going into the TIPM from the battery had a orange, sap-colored discharge that had oozed out at some point and the black rubber sheath around the cabling has pulled away from it. Then I found the fun part. I opened the fuse box and realized that it isn't built with a hole in it...O.O The section just above the bolt where the cable attaches to the TIPM usually has a "+" positive connection logo on it...but now the plastic where this logo was had melted and looked around the bolt.

I have no idea what is going on. I replaced my TIPM last year thanks to the door lock relay bugging out, but I kept it since that was the only issue it had. I'm now thinking that a new relay problem inside this TIPM is causing severe problems. I'm open to suggestions. Let me know if you need any more info. It's on a 2007 SXT.
 

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
Joined
·
30,219 Posts
Sounds like you pretty much covered it.
TIPM short. Lucky you did not have a fire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update - I switched out my TIPM, connected everything aaaannnd nothing...literally no lights, no dashboard, nothing...however the TIPM is getting power based off of the blown door lock fuse I replaced which lights up when its blown (faulty door lock TIPM). Took the battery uptown and had it checked and everything seems to be working properly.

When I reconnected I the battery after the TIPM switch I heard a few mechanical pieces "shift" or clink very lightly but no typical horn sound. Any ideas?
 

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
Joined
·
30,219 Posts
Later(newer) years TIPM do not have a horn honk on reconnection. But if the door lock fuse blows as soon at it is installed, then the TIPM you got is bad. In which case the horn circuit could also be bad, if the horn fuses are there...
Was the TIPM from a Nitro 3.7?
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top