Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2011 Nitro with 63 miles on it. When the truck heats up and I start to accelerate there is a knocking/clicking sound, sometimes loud sometimes quite, coming from under the car. It goes away after I get up to around 5mph. So the noise is only when I'm dead stopped accelerating to 5mph, then it goes away, and also if I'm in park and very lightly hit the gas it makes the same noise. I brought it to the dealership and the mechanic said all Nitros do it and that it is a valve in the transmission. So I don't believe him and plan on taking it to another dealership. Anyone else have the same noise? Thanks and I'm new. This is my first post. Hopefully this forum will work for me lol!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sometimes I can feel the knocking in the floorboard and sometimes in the steering wheel. Plus when I turn the wheel hard left while parked/stopped the noise become more clear and louder.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
Sometimes I can feel the knocking in the floorboard and sometimes in the steering wheel. Plus when I turn the wheel hard left while parked/stopped the noise become more clear and louder.
Welcome to the forum. Mine did the same thing, last night, 2 times, for the first time since April, when I purchased it new. We got about 4" of wet snow yesterday, so I thought that it might have something to do with snow building up somewhere under the truck. It only did it when I started it when it was cold. After it warmed up a little, the noise was not there. Hmmmm?

:confused:

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
I just bought a 2011 Nitro with 63 miles on it. When the truck heats up and I start to accelerate there is a knocking/clicking sound, sometimes loud sometimes quite, coming from under the car. It goes away after I get up to around 5mph. So the noise is only when I'm dead stopped accelerating to 5mph, then it goes away, and also if I'm in park and very lightly hit the gas it makes the same noise. I brought it to the dealership and the mechanic said all Nitros do it and that it is a valve in the transmission. So I don't believe him and plan on taking it to another dealership. Anyone else have the same noise? Thanks and I'm new. This is my first post. Hopefully this forum will work for me lol!
Welcome to the forum. Mine did the same thing, last night, 2 times, for the first time since April, when I purchased it new. We got about 4" of wet snow yesterday, so I thought that it might have something to do with snow building up somewhere under the truck. It only did it when I started it when it was cold. After it warmed up a little, the noise was not there. Hmmmm?

:confused:
Ok, so I started it this morning. No knocking sound, and when I backed out of the garage, a great big chunk of frozen snow/ice fell off of the bottom of the truck. I'm going to say that my noise was caused by a build-up of ice/snow somewhere under the truck.
Maybe another member will chime in with a similar situation and give you some advice. Good luck.

:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i brought the truck to a dealership and they said that other nitros have the same problem along with some jeeps. its a design flaw in the exhaust system i guess. we got it in writing that its a normal thing and that dodge is trying to come up with fix and do a big recall. so thats whats up.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,305 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us on this. Sounds kinda fishy to me. The exhaust has no moving parts, so how can it make a knocking sound that you can feel?
Keep us posted...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an 07 r/t and mine does the same ticking / knocking noise. I thought mine was the only one making that sound. Its a relieve other nitrous make the same noise and my nitro seems to be running like a champ! I hope its just a flaw the nitrous have and has no impact on the engines life span.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know that ther is 4 years since the last post... But i hope someone have a solution.
I just got an used 08 dodge nitro 2008 sxt 3.7lt, and i have exactly the same problem, annoying noise like a knocking/clicking sound when i lightly push the gas pedal and whit the shiftknob on D or R, (less noisy in parking), the car runs very good without any problem but the noise is a pain in the ass... Does anyone have a solution yet?
Thanks
(sorry if my english isn't good, im from Mexico)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Exactly the same problem, do you had it solve?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,305 Posts
Welcome to the forum Acemir.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

The OP had a 4.0 so it may not be the same issue you have.
It would help if we could hear what you are talking about. Can you post a video on U-tube and link it back into this thread? Inside the Nitro as well as outside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i hope someone have a solution.
I just got a used 08 dodge nitro 2008 sxt 3.7lt, and i have exactly the same problem, annoying noise like a knocking/clicking sound when i lightly push the gas pedal and whit the shiftknob on D or R, (less noisy in parking), the car runs very good without any problem but the noise is a pain in the ass... Does anyone have a solution yet?
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts