Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the UK.
Still loving the Nitro ,its been a year now , a few niggles all rectified by the wealth of knowledge contained within this forum.
Thank you very much!
Just received a letter from Chrysler motors about the air bag issue which I know the forum is aware about.
The Uk letter says as Dodge {the brand} doesn't exist anymore the UK I will have to basically sort the fix by some other means.
Spoke with local Chrysler dealership who say if I can find out what parts and part numbers are required they could probably order them.{You can see what I'm up against}:mad:
My question to the forum is . Has anybody had this work done?and what's involved. Does it have to be a main dealer or a local accredited garage?

Here in the UK and Im sure over the pond recalls are treated very seriously, there are veiled threats in the letter of insurance invalid. Illegal to sell on, not roadworthy.
Some reassuring words would be nice ;)

All the best from Canterbury UK

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,207 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Happymomma. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

@Road Angel see the recall section of the forum. Your local FCA dealer should be able to do the W09 work.

·
Registered
577 Posts
All my recall work has been done by Jeep dealers since Dodge brand disappeared. So any Jeep Chrysler dealer in the U.K. should be able to help (group now owned by FIAT).

Jeep at Swindon are my nearest they have been reasonably good for parts, apart from items no longer in stock in Italy, then I have to go US suppliers.

I haven’t yet received any airbag letter which is surprising as I’ve owned mine for over 8 years. I’ll have to look into this!

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
577 Posts
As if by magic, the recall letter arrived in the post today. Surprisingly, it states FCA U.K. are under no obligation to carry out the recall and that I should contact the original importer...completely bonkers seeing as Dodge withdrew from the U.K. and Fiat took over Jeep Chrysler.

this just smacks of getting off the hook by any means...time to get angry and crack a few heads😡

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As if by magic, the recall letter arrived in the post today. Surprisingly, it states FCA U.K. are under no obligation to carry out the recall and that I should contact the original importer...completely bonkers seeing as Dodge withdrew from the U.K. and Fiat took over Jeep Chrysler.

this just smacks of getting off the hook by any means...time to get angry and crack a few heads😡
Yep that's what we Brits are against. my Jeep dealer will carry out repair if i can supply the parts description and numbers! You couldn't make it up.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I won’t go down without a fight, so dealer first and FCA U.K. second.

keep you posted 👍

·
Registered
577 Posts
Will be visiting dealer tomorrow to start the process. Having read the W09 recall repair document it clearly states “no parts required”, and only the use of the Witech pod tool for final testing and DTC clearing.

I am therefore at a loss to understand why your dealer asked you for the parts description and numbers, unless they hadn’t read the recall repair notes.

I’ll be making sure I take a copy of the recall notice and repair notes with me to make sure there is no confusion at the dealer.

ultimately, if they refuse to do the work under a recall FOC, then as it’s stated as 0.6 hours work it shouldn’t cost any more than an hours labour + VAT.

...stay tuned for an update!

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
do you realy want a steering wheel with the badge missing ?

·
Registered
577 Posts
The simple answer would be a resounding “No”.

However, the prospect of having a Dodge Ram logo imprinted on my forehead is more of a concern. Now you could ask yourself with some 43% of vehicles affected the Dirty Harry question “do I feel lucky?”. The answer depends on whether or not your a gambler or just generally lucky in life (I’m neither) 😁

like you Nitrogen, I’ve decided my Nitro and I will never part company so adverse resale by not doing the rework is not a concern. But, in an air bag deployment the thought of spending life as a Dodge branded individual (or worse) is a concern.

I’m also hoping FCA will at some point offer a new cover replacement with maybe the logo moulded into the plastic cover, if not then a suitable sized logo sticker might do the job 💡

Are you not having the recall work done?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think my Jeep dealership don't want the Agg to be frank, so ill await your outcome then if positive will tackle them again, well done my friend!

·
Registered
577 Posts
This may also be important to U.K. owners, just checked with local MOT station. Apparently when your MOT inspection is carried out the Inspector will check with DVSA for outstanding safety recalls. So if you haven’t had the recall work carried out the inspector may fail your MOT test.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is exactly why and of course like you I don't want a Ram head impression I want the work done .And of course insurance implications and unroadworthy!

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
well here in France i have not received the recall (abit slow in France),
do you think they are going to recall all cars with a plastic emblem on the steering wheel,
my wifes Mercedes had one, her new Mazda CX3 has one, our Ford Transit motorhome has one, a rough guess is 50% of cars have an emblem. my Nitro is going for it's inspection next wednesday, i'll see if they mention it.

Reactions: SthglosHI

·
Registered
577 Posts
Just got back from Jeep Dealership in Swindon, Wiltshire...all U.K. Nitro owners need to take note of this!

you definitely couldn’t make this up!

In July 2018 FCA U.K. Ltd notified all dealers in the U.K. they were no longer Authorised to carry out warranty or recall work on Dodge branded vehicles with no exception.

Any dealer doing so would not be covered by FCA in the event if any claims arising. Such repairs would be deemed as Unauthorised and could potentially affect a driver’s insurance in the event of an accident.

Owners should contact one of the three organisations listed in the Recall Notice received for assistance. This means Sweden, Germany or Switzerland 😡 unless you’re planning a driving holiday to mainland Europe anytime soon this is quite ridiculous.

So, if any of you wish to plead for help, express your dismay or otherwise blow a fuse in the direction of FCA U.K. Ltd here’s the contact details:

[email protected]
or
008003 428 0000 option2 (if you speak fluent Italian you can of course tackle the ultimate parent company)

My email will be hurtling towards them later tonight 😡

So where do we all stand with this? Well after a lengthy discussion with the service manager...pretty much out in the cold!

Technically it’s nothing more than just taking the badge off the driver air bag cover, but dismantling and separation of the cover from the air bag is an absolute must to avoid debris remaining with the air bag...so do not attempt to just prise off the badge, you will leave the mounting pin debris and nuts loose inside.

My dealer said they had had a number of Jeep branded vehicles in recently for the rework which were covered by FCA U.K. So they are experienced and have the necessary equipment to do the job properly. The were uneasy doing my Nitro, but agreed to carry out the work if I wished to pay them £120+VAT, still stating it would be unauthorised.

Does this affect your MOT?

Although recalls are checked they cannot fail you if they are not carried out, but beware, it could invalidate your insurance in the event of an accident.

Our obligations?

As owners/drivers we are under no obligation to have the badge removed partly due to it being an ‘interim repair’.

I for one would not be happy driving around with a potential loaded gun pointing at my face.

So I’ve agreed to stump up the cash and booked it in knowing that the dealer will do the job right.Even though we end up with a fairly large sink hole in the plastic cover.

On mulling this over on the trip back home, and being an engineer I’m now considering another option, you can guess what it is but I’m not stating here unless someone acts on it because of something I’ve said causing injury, fatal consequences or loss.

I accept no responsibility or liability for anything stated in this post message. Anything you do on this recall is entirely at your own risk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the reply. Im going to contact the DVSA to ask if they can recommend who could carry out the repair and what proof will suffice to update my car on their records.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts