Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
NitroZ is the place to be!!!
1,459 Posts
There are plenty of aftermarket LCD screens in that size range that you could choose from. I would go with Alpine myself. I guess it all depends on the size screen you want, and budget you have.

That configuration should be pretty easy to duplicate for a pro, or a really driven and creative individual. ;)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Back in my car stereo days, Alpine was pretty much all we used. Never could go wrong with Apline back then. I'll check them out to see what they offer.:)

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
That would be a very easy self install..And yea, there are tons of LCD's out that would fit in that area nicely..Although I think a Navus 2 is going in that slot for me..

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Either way would be a breeze :p You could motorize it to fold fdown forward if smal enough or you might be able to get it to lower into the dash dependng on the clearance under there..
Cool idea, unfortunately the center air ducts are right below that pocket on the dash. Here's an Alpine unit that looks like what I had in mind. It's the TME-M710.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so with the 6 cd changer it says it is a dvd player as well. Could it be used as the driver for one of those lcd screens?
I think in terms of DVD's its refering to DVD Audio but I haven't tried one and could be completely wrong. Also I'm not aware of a video out capability of the stereo head unit. Would be nice though.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My plans are to swap out the head unit with a double din screen and use that space up top to mold in a 4" center channle speaker for the suround sound.... Just my thoughts....

Jason
I like your idea, I'll be interested to see that if you get it done........My Nitro has the base stereo and so far that's my one complaint of the vehicle. For my ears it doesn't sound very good. The mid-tweeter in the dash is so far away from the mid-bass door speakers that the stereo image is horrible. Very seat oriented bias. The back seat speakers are not any better.

I would like to hear what the owners of the Infinity systems have to say about the sound quality of their stereos. Curious, if just replacing my speakers with the Infinity ones would be worth it.

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
I would like to hear what the owners of the Infinity systems have to say about the sound quality of their stereos. Curious, if just replacing my speakers with the Infinity ones would be worth it.
I have the Infinity system and I think it sounds really good. The audio is very crisp and bass is just right..Well worth the $XXX for me

·
Registered
15 Posts
Coming from my past with car audio, the stock stereo in this thing SUCKS!!! :loser1: The head unit or the changer what ever with the DVD symbol on it from the fact or will not have video output. I am 99% sure on this. I have done many cars where they had a unit seemiler to this. There is a interface that you can get and you have to take the unit out and solider on the boards of the unit. I would not recomend this to someone without exp. Like I said, I have not looked into anything like this for the Nitro. I have however done these on Hummers, Altimas, Maximas, etc. It is a long tedious process. Easyest way, get a aftermarket DVD player. The center consoul is so big, you could mount on vertical in the center armrest compartment with no problem!!!

As far as taking a stock system and adding the "infinity" setup is not recomended. It should be able to be done. Most of the time, the cars are "wired" for the upgraded sound but the componets are not there. For the coast of buying all the factory upgraded equipment, you could go out and spend half the money on after market equipment and get twice the sound of the factory...... junk???

Jason

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Coming from my past with car audio, the stock stereo in this thing SUCKS!!! :loser1: The head unit or the changer what ever with the DVD symbol on it from the fact or will not have video output. I am 99% sure on this. I have done many cars where they had a unit seemiler to this. There is a interface that you can get and you have to take the unit out and solider on the boards of the unit. I would not recomend this to someone without exp. Like I said, I have not looked into anything like this for the Nitro. I have however done these on Hummers, Altimas, Maximas, etc. It is a long tedious process. Easyest way, get a aftermarket DVD player. The center consoul is so big, you could mount on vertical in the center armrest compartment with no problem!!!

As far as taking a stock system and adding the "infinity" setup is not recomended. It should be able to be done. Most of the time, the cars are "wired" for the upgraded sound but the componets are not there. For the coast of buying all the factory upgraded equipment, you could go out and spend half the money on after market equipment and get twice the sound of the factory...... junk???

Jason
I agree Jason the stock stereo doesn't sound good at all, but that's just me ears. The Infinity speakers by themselves are really inexpensive. To maintain a factory look its not easy finding a factory fit speaker for the dash cause it's 2.5" in size. A pair of component speaker is a viable option but the speakers would be off axis and they are really far apart and the sound image would be very left and right bias, not a nice centered image.

Skip the DVD and use an iPod with a DLO universal base and LCD screen of your choice. Just my .2 cents

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good call on the ipod deal. I am out of the loop on those. They have been out for years and I have still yet to get one. But I do want one. I have yet to look that far into the placement and fit of the factory speakers. I work 12hr shifts and only go the Nitro on Saturday. Have not really had time to look. But now that you mention it, there are speakers on the dash and speakers in the door. You could get a componet set and depending on the size of the factory speaker, you could put the mid and tweet down in the door behind the pannel. If not, you could put the tweet in the dash and try a few things. You could run them out of phase, you could delay the signal to the tweet (takes more than factory equipment) or the easitest and cheapest would be to get a good quality coax speaker to put in the door and disconect the factory 2.5 in the dash. That is unles the low end factory system still has a factory amplifer in which the signal running to the door speaker has been crossed over. Then adding a coax will not do to great without running a new run of speaker wire to the head unit which then needs to be after market. Still, it would save you money over going to the dealership and having them upgrade your factory system with more factory junk...

Jason

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.