Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
As a former Liberty owner, I completely agree. I like the Nitro better in every way, right down to the window switches being on the door where they belong. I'm still interested to see what they end up doing next year when the Liberty becomes a mini-Commander, but judging from the spy shots of the exterior, I think I'll be sticking with my current purchase. :D

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I totally agree with your guys. They are similar in chassis but the differences Dodge made with the suspension and chassis length really improve the whole feel of the vehicle. An interesting thing to know is when the 2008 Liberty rolls of the production line next year it will be the first time Dodge and Jeep have shared a chassis platform.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know I have to take the wife's liberty on friday's to work and can acknowledge the rides sucks. I am 6'5" and I just dont really fit in the libery. The Nitro is so roomy...Thanks guys for all your comments...Also check out those christmas lights on the house...MERRY CHRISTMAS

G

·
Weekending with my Nitro

Took my new Nitro SLT to Columbus this weekend to spend the holidays with my parents. My mom has been driving a Liberty for the past year (it's a fleet vehicle at her company), and she fell in love with the Nitro. She loved the smooth ride, the handling, the placement of the instruments and the height of the center console (the perfect height for her to rest her elbow on, saving her shoulder from aching by the end of the driving day). Her Liberty is a much rougher ride, and handles very poorly in the snow, as well as having a rather poorly laid out interior. I am new to the SUV market, and am so far overjoyed at my introduction, thanks to the Nitro!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Lets get it right Guys and Gals.......The Liberty is intended for more off-road use and the Nitro is more at home on the road.....in their stock form. The Liberty's suspension is right at home on a muddy trail that runs to your favorite hunting spot and the Nitro's cushy ride makes those morning jaunts to work in the snow a breeze. Of course, one of my first changes for my Nitro is gonna be making it more off road worthy.:cool:

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Lets get it right Guys and Gals.......The Liberty is intended for more off-road use and the Nitro is more at home on the road.....in their stock form. The Liberty's suspension is right at home on a muddy trail that runs to your favorite hunting spot and the Nitro's cushy ride makes those morning jaunts to work in the snow a breeze. Of course, one of my first changes for my Nitro is gonna be making it more off road worthy.:cool:

If you put a lift on your Nitro/add some bigger tires and such you have take a pic and post it! I haven't seen an NItro modified for off-roading. There can't be that many modified for mudding.....you would definitely be one of a hand full of people!:ura1:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Four years ago, all the die-hard Jeep fans said the Liberty was not a true off road vehicle. They have been proven wrong. True, you can't make as many modifications as with Wranglers, but there is no reason that you can't turn a Nitro into a decent off-roader. The Nitro should be just as capable as the '08 Liberty. Jeep is certain to stick the 'Renegade' badge on one.

Back in 2003-2004 when I modified this one, I went way overboard. It looked good, but $8,000.00 later it still wasn't where I wanted it to be. What I am saying, less is sometimes more. I had to lift the Liberty 2 1/2 inches to get the 255/55-18's to fit. These same wheels and tires will now fit the stock Nitro without lifting it. The wheels and tires are the only thing I still have. The ride was better in back, but rough up front. In the end, I think the lift contributed to the tie rod ends wearing prematurely. This is why I appeal to you all, be careful what you change, you could unintentionally knock your vehicle out of design spec. and not know it until six months later.

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is why I appeal to you all, be careful what you change, you could unintentionally knock your vehicle out of design spec. and not know it until six months later.
This is even more true with the whole ESP thing, unfortunately. Change the tire size up or down from stock and you could find the traction control/brake assist/etc kicking in at unexpected times..

·
Registered
576 Posts
My off-road modifications will be modest at best. I'm not wanting to lose the on-road drivability. I think a 2 inch lift and 31 or 32 inch tires will be the max. A brush bar(with winch), heavier rear bumper and rock bars will be added along with a good skid plate.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I to would like to see a nitro modified to mud...It would be expensive now while there arent to many dealers yet. But sure would be neat.
I agree, if you try to lift one, it would be expensive, not to mention experimental. However, Dodge has given us such a good platform, it really doesn't need any modification. The wheel well openings are so much larger than the Liberty's that the Nitro stock wheel size would not have fit on a Liberty. Just purchase a set of decent off road tires and hit the trail. No more than anyone will be able to lift a Nitro, 2 - 2 1/2 inches, it really wouldn't be worth the effort. In a few years when you will be able to pick up a used one for half the price of the new ones, and aftermarket parts are plentiful, including speedometer recalibrators, modify away. There are just now speedometer recalibrators on the market for the '02-'03 model Liberty. Until then, the largest tire you will be able to run is 30", according to the dealership. That is the largest tire built into Dodge computers. In ten years, you could build one for a hunting lease and trailer it to your destination. But I digress.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All in all I am going to keep my 20" city boy tires. I like the ride I am getting now. I have no reason and no place to take my pretty little black nitro mudding. I come to my office and work 8 hrs then go home, by way of the freeway. So it would be impractical if I slapped some 30" mud tires on it, But man it sure would be cool if I had the money to do it anyway. Anyway thanks for the dream.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.