Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, my searches have been fruitless. I'd like to add 1.5" - 3" of lift to the new toy, but I haven't been able to locate such a device........yet.

Anyone know of suspension or body lift kits available.....please post me a link.

Thanks

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
Im sure there arent specific kits out yet for the Nitro so oud either have to wait or go to a custom shop to do a custom install..I dont know much about the Nitro suspension but yo might be able to modify something off a similiar dodge vehicle..someone else might know more but i havent seen any lifted yet

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've used Rancho kits on all of my Jeeps and they said that a 2.5 inch lift is scheduled for release in mid 2007 specifically for the Nitro.

If you're in a big hurry you could probably go with a lift for the Jeep Liberty. I'm sure it can easily be made for use on our Nitros.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
What can I do...will lift work?

All I want to do is put some larger mud tires on my new 4x4 (Nitro) on the existing wheels(rims) but I was told by the dealer and an after market guy that I can't go up in "tire" size (not rim size - 4x4 not hiphop) because the bottoms of the wheel well on the front tapers inward just a bit and any larger of a tire will rub.:mad: Man I am pissed! I love my new Nitro but who the &*$+! makes a 4x4 that you can't put a meaty tire on for the desert or snow. Please help! It's too late to take it back (not that I really want to) but I need some off road tires!

·
Registered
576 Posts
You could always go down in wheel size to allow more rubber. I never understood the ghetto wheels on a 4x4 anyway. For off road use you want more rubber and less wheel to cushion the blow from off-road obstacles. You could see about going to a 15"-16" wheel with a 31x10" or 32x11" MT/AT tire and not have to change the suspension at all. Your other option would be to go to an offset wheel that would allow room for the taller tire. If you can't wait for the lift kits to come out i'd say these are your options right now.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I've never used a lift kit before on any of my trucks, never saw a reason too lift it that high. Usually just some 31" or 32" on my 16" wheel like you said was enough to make me comfortable. I was told that you can't fit a larger tire in that tapered wheelwell. I'm not so much concerned with the 4x4 "look" I just want more damn Diff clearence and tires have always given me a couple of inches up and more knob! I have done a fair amount of 2x4 and 4x4 in the desert and I'm not happy about this at all. I have doubts whether a lift would work or not, you still have to get the tire in the well and the front well tapers inward at the bottom preventing that....WHAT A BUNCH OF MORONS to do this and this from Jeep/Dodge. Man this is frustrating! It's like courting an awesome supermodel then finally she crawls into bed with you and then when she pulls her shirt up she has a freakish breast or something. Or for you girls a hot dude with a penis the size of a thumb....AAAARRRRGGG!!!!! I love my Nitro I don't want it to be a freakish breast! I want mud tires!

·
Registered
576 Posts
:D :D :D
Simma down Johnny. Trust me, there has to be a way to get what you're wanting without the scare of a misformed breast. Have you checked about trimming that corner of the wheel well so that a set of 31's will fit? My next set of tires will be 30x9.5's or 31x10.5's I guarantee. Its just a matter of figuring out a way to fit them in there or move the wheels out. I fit 31's on my Wrangler when it was stock and the dealership SWORE that it couldn't be done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I drove my nitro staright to the tire shop , had them take of the 225/75/16 goodyears and install 245/70/16 bfg all-terrain tires, they fit like a glove and actually fill the fender well a little nicer than the stockers.Cheers..Tim

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Hey slim, I've been doing my homework on tires and I was wondering if they tryed other sizes like 245/75/16 = 30.55" 235/75/16= 29.87" or was the 245/70/16 = 29.6" as big as they could go? The tires on the my Nitro now are 225/75/16= 29.2" so I'd only get about .5 lift up but I wonder if tread is included (makes sense that it is) more looking...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just curious, how are you calculating the metric tire size to inches? I'm coming up with slightly different numbers for most of them the way I've been doing it:

section width / 25.4 (to get the width in inches, 25.4 mm per in)
* aspect ratio % (to get the amount of rubber between the rim and the edge of the tire)
* 2 (top and bottom of tire)
+ rim diameter size

245/75/16 would then be (rounded)

245 / 25.4 = 9.65 inches wide
* .75 = 7.23
* 2 = 14.47
+ 16 = 30.47 inches tall

The height difference is probably less than amount lost once you place the weight of the vehicle on the tires. Please let me know if my own calculations are wrong!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at lifting my 4x4 Nitro about 1" to 1.5". I'm probably going to use Jeep Liberty coil spring/strut spacers. I'm not sure if I can use the current lift kits or if I have to wait until the '08 Liberty kits come out.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.