Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Great site. I've read threw all 55 pages looking for my anwswer but only found others with the same issues with no fix. I have a dealer appointment for Friday. :mad: I hate to go to the dealer so if anyone have this answer I can cancel the appointment. :smileup:

I have a 07 Dodge Nitro RT with about 60k miles on her.

This problem been happening for awhile now.

When starting cold the engine starts right up within 2 cranks. 2

When the engine is hot it takes about 6-8 seconds to start but always start.

So I have a starting when hot issue.

What do u guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Smith
TS Remodeling & More

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I know that this is not going to help you, but if my lawnmower sits for more than 10 minutes when hot, it refuses to start without about 25 pulls. So, maybe someone can address both of our issues at the same time!

:cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes - took it back under warranty - fixed it for a while, now it is doing it again this year. It is a Lawn Boy with a Tecumseh engine, the one you prime, with no choke! I'd like to choke it!

:eek:

Maybe just maybe the vent holes on the fuel cap are clogged with dust or grass and causing a vacum.

What model number is the lawn boy?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Lawnboys became junk once they got rid of their 2 stroke engine. Thank the EPA for that.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
Maybe just maybe the vent holes on the fuel cap are clogged with dust or grass and causing a vacum.

What model number is the lawn boy?
Insight, Model # 10685 Always starts on the first or second pull when it is cold - I push the primer 3 - 5 times, and always use mid grade, clear gas. I change the oil and air filter a couple of times a season.

Lawnboys became junk once they got rid of their 2 stroke engine. Thank the EPA for that.
You got that right - I'll have to look at another Toro or John Deere.

Sorry that I high jacked this guy's thread!

:shy:

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
This is interesting mine just did this for the third time last night after a two hour drive.

I just rolled 50,000 lastnight. it did the long start about a week ago and about a week before that as well. both time it was a hot motor.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sorry that I high jacked this guy's thread!

:shy:[/QUOTE]

If this was my thread about a hard starting car engine and it went to lawnmowers I'd be laughing my butt off. Only in this forum can you talk about cars and end up in lawnmowers.:D

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well everyone.... I ended up canceling the dealership appointment. Mostly becouse I'm cheap and dont like the cost of dealerships. I'm more a do it yourself kind of guy. If and when I figure this out I'll be posting it everywhere.

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Give this a try next time it happens. Turn the key to the on position, but do not try to start it. Listen for the fuel pump to turn off. Turn the key off, then try to start as normal.
What I am guessing is there may be a leaking injector that is allowing the fuel pressure to bleed off. As this happens the remaining fuel in the rail is vaporizing due to the heat. It will then take longer for the fuel rail to be recharged. As well as the fuel which leaked into the cylinder to be pushed out.
A way to test this is to connect a fuel pressure tester on the rail, start the rig and monitor the pressure. Turn the rig off, the pressure should not drop for about 10 minutes.
If the pressure drops then it could be a leaking injector or a bad check valve in the fuel pump.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Give this a try next time it happens. Turn the key to the on position, but do not try to start it. Listen for the fuel pump to turn off. Turn the key off, then try to start as normal.
What I am guessing is there may be a leaking injector that is allowing the fuel pressure to bleed off. As this happens the remaining fuel in the rail is vaporizing due to the heat. It will then take longer for the fuel rail to be recharged. As well as the fuel which leaked into the cylinder to be pushed out.
A way to test this is to connect a fuel pressure tester on the rail, start the rig and monitor the pressure. Turn the rig off, the pressure should not drop for about 10 minutes.
If the pressure drops then it could be a leaking injector or a bad check valve in the fuel pump.
Thanks for the reply. If it was a fuel pressure issue wouldnt it do it when the engine is cold?

I took a 180 mile trip today when I got home I waited about 10 mins, had wife cylce the fuel pump 2x. " Pump came on all times. " But the start was the same. Roughly 15 second crank time until the bitch fired up.

I would think if it was a leaking injector or a pressure leak. It would take the same time to refill and presurized the fuel system when the engine is cold.

What you think?

Keep the idea's comming. :beerchug:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is interesting mine just did this for the third time last night after a two hour drive.

I just rolled 50,000 lastnight. it did the long start about a week ago and about a week before that as well. both time it was a hot motor.

Let me know what you find.

Mine has 60k and prob started around the same mileage as yours.

I've had this problem for over a year now. All I can say is atleast it always starts even on a long 10hr plus trip down south in 100 degree weather with a/c cranking at 80 mph.

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Thanks for the reply. If it was a fuel pressure issue wouldnt it do it when the engine is cold?

I took a 180 mile trip today when I got home I waited about 10 mins, had wife cylce the fuel pump 2x. " Pump came on all times. " But the start was the same. Roughly 15 second crank time until the bitch fired up.

I would think if it was a leaking injector or a pressure leak. It would take the same time to refill and presurized the fuel system when the engine is cold.

What you think?

Keep the idea's comming. :beerchug:
Hummm, :thk:Everything I have been reading on-line points to the fuel system in one way or another. Leaking injector, fuel boiling in the rail, bad check valve in the fuel pump. May be worth getting a fuel pressure tester or have it tested at a shop.
I did see some things on line which suggest it may be a heat soaked electronic part, mainly the coils. But those are few and far between. However, we can't rule them out just yet.
I did read one suggestion which was to crank the engine like you normally would, turn the key off, and do it again. They said that this worked every time. But they still have not figured out a definitive cause for this happening, or a solution.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I still dont think its the fuel system seeing it only happens when the engine is hot and not once when it the engine was cold. But i'll get a set of gauges and get some readings to truely rule it out.

Now for the electrical part. I would also find it hard to beleave that all 6 coil packs are bad and not causing the plugs to fire until a delay time. If one or two packs are bad wouldnt the nitro sputter and try to start rough? I'm thinking if it is a heat soaked electronic part it would be the sensor or sensors sending the info to engergize the coil packs.

Would that be the cam and crankshaft sensors?

Thanks Tom

1 - 20 of 102 Posts