Dodge Nitro Forum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
You're welcome. Hopefully you can get it figured out and it's something simple.
No recall on the TIPM issue but I did order a fuel pump relay bypass from the vender on that video. I'll report back as to whether it worked or not.
The fuel pump bypass relay indicated the relay connection was working but I tried to bypass it regardless and still I have a crank/no start condition. The tip off that it's probably the fuel pump was the absence of hearing the hum of the fuel pump with the bypass relay in place. After more research seeing problems with the TIPM I'm wordering if using a code reader would confirm the faulty fuel pump module. Would be frustrating to replace the fuel pump only to find out it's the TIPM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The fuel pump bypass relay indicated the relay connection was working but I tried to bypass it regardless and still I have a crank/no start condition. The tip off that it's probably the fuel pump was the absence of hearing the hum of the fuel pump with the bypass relay in place. After more research seeing problems with the TIPM I'm wordering if using a code reader would confirm the faulty fuel pump module. Would be frustrating to replace the fuel pump only to find out it's the TIPM.
From what I understand the bypass cable eliminates the tipm from the circuit. Basically supplying power directly to the pump. The next step would be to check fuel pressure. You should be able to get a loaner tool from your local auto parts store to check this. That will be the best indicator as to whether or not the fuel pump is working. It should be free to get the tool with just putting a refundable deposit down. If you didn't hear the hum though I would suspect the pump gave up. 200k is a hell of a run for the oem pump though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
You would have to disconnect the electrical plug going into the fuel pump and then put a meter on the two power wires that would power the fuel pump. Then cycle the key and watch for a reading.

As far as I see on my RT there is no fuel pressure port to test the pressure of the pump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You would have to disconnect the electrical plug going into the fuel pump and then put a meter on the two power wires that would power the fuel pump. Then cycle the key and watch for a reading.

As far as I see on my RT there is no fuel pressure port to test the pressure of the pump.
Thank you for your help, I finally towed it to a mechanic and authorized him to check for those problems but no such luck. It was the fuel pump and after all and when the mechanic tried to quote me a high price like I was some newby of the street I proceeded to grind him down down on price until I was satisfied. Funny thing was he acted like a stereotypical auto mechanic and treated me poorly until I relentlessly argued over price with him then got my way. After that is was all smiles and the good guy treatment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Double good to hear. I just ordered a fuel pump off ebay for like $70. I'm planning on swapping it out later this spring before it fails. What was the total price on the repair?
Hey tsremodel, sorry for the late response I just saw your post now. The total cost including parts was $500. Take into consideration that was a cash offer. The local dealer wanted nearly $700 including tax. I decided to pay more for a quality part, which included the entire assembly, since the cheaper versions had a reputation of failing within under a year. The part which I found at a local wholesaler was about $230. I referred the mechanic to the wholesaler since i couldn't buy it direct from the parts supplier. I needed the car back that afternoon, which he was able to do, so that was an added bonus.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
So back in May I replaced my Cam Shaft Censer and my Nitro no longer long starts. So after like 5 years of long starts it has been fixed for 6 months. So Happy.

Reactions: Nitrogen and Scar0

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Great news mini.

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Reactions: tsremodel

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
If anyone gets to the end of this old thread the bypass mentioned is typically the answer on a dodge/jeep with a tipm. Crank and Cam sensors typically will throw a code if they are acting up as they are monitored sensors. Also the ECU typically will monitor they are in sync to let you know if the mechanical timing is going out. Good work to everyone who found solutions. So often on Dodges its NOT the fuel pump if it still has the shitty TIPM fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
Hey Guys.... Update... I still have this 07 Nitro with a 4.0l my daughter is now driving it. The cam sensor fixed the issue with a long crank when hot issue. My TIPM is the original factory and never have been replaced. If anyone is having a issue with a long crank when hot. Replace the cam sensor.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts