Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded in my 2012 Durango RT for a white 2011 Nitro Heat with only 33000 miles. Love it so far and am new to the forum. I must say that it looks sharp and is not lacking in power, which was a concern coming from the RT. Don't know how I never noticed the Nitro when I was looking in 2013, but better late then never. Just wanted to say hey everyone!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,440 Posts
Hello and welcome NITRON23,
to the Nitro “Z” family!
Congrats on the new ride!
I'm looking forward to your future posts & Pics. We love Pics here!
We also like new Mod ideas.

Enjoy the forumZ.
Scar

BTW;
If you could please go to your personal-details and fill in the “Vehicle:” info about your rig, then it will be easier for us to answer your questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions.

As you can see at the left of every post I make;
This is what I drive:
Vehicle: 07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Hi NITRON23 and welcome, 2011 and 33k, sounds like you found a Nice one.

Reactions: Scar0

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,564 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Good to have you here. Enjoy!

BTW... Post a pic of your Nitro when you can!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hi welcome.
Can you share the reason why from Durango to Nitro?

Last time I was in US I got free upgrade to Durango RT 2015 and it was impressive rig with better MPG than Nitro.

But, yes. Nitro is more versatile I'd say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dad passed away last year and I had to move and take a lower paying job. Needed to lower my payment and I was able to get it cut in half. Funny thing was that when I was initially heading out of town to the dealership I got my Durango at to check out vehicles, my water pump went out so I had it looked at at my local Dodge dealer. While the pump was on backorder I checked out their site and the Nitro had been added that day. Three days later, the Nitro was mine.

·
Registered
443 Posts
oh, I'm sorry to hear this. Not just your dad, but also economical issues. Wish you to overcome this soon.

I was curious, because when I purchased Nitro, I was feeling guilty and was asking myself if I really need to drive V6. After month with Nitro, such feeling was gone. ☺

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,564 Posts
Sympathies for your loss. My dad passed six years ago. Miss him dearly!:(

Personally, I think you made a good choice. Having come from a MOPAR family, I know a few things about the Durango that have hindered me from getting one. The Durango (especially generation 3 & 4) are way under powered for their size. Even the V8 models leave something to be desired. They are generally overpriced for what you get. And, they're also notoriously a mechanics nightmare. :mad:

The Nitro on the other hand is a better option, IMO. Yes, it is somewhat under powered, but it can get up to speed fairly quickly. They are generally easy to work on, and decently priced for its class. The one advantage that the Nitro has to most similar sized vehicles is this... The engineer's actually gave the Nitro some additional thought in its creation. For example: They moved the wheels as close as they could to all four corners of the vehicle, giving it more stability, which means it is not as top heavy as most SUV. Because of its wheels being pushed outside the fender (instead of inside the fender well), it handles very well, and doesn't lean on sharp turn like the average SUV. Overall, the Nitro is a fairly well thought out design.

Is the Nitro perfect? No. But what vehicle is? Despite what vehicle you own, there will always be some design flaw that could have been designed better than what it was. With that said, Enjoy your Nitro! And be proud that you own one of the most unique (and good looking) SUV on the road. Both in design, and aesthetics. :D JM2C

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still loving it, and the low mileage is definitely a huge bonus for me. The RT Durango I had has a hemi, and definitely had more power, but the Nitro isn't lacking by any means with the 4.0. It was mentioned above, but I do prefer the handling of the Nitro over the Durango as well. Been super busy getting everything in order for my surgery tomorrow, so pics have slipped my mind again. I'll be off work till atleast July 25th, so I'll get some up while I'm off. Thanks again for the kind welcomes. It seems like a very friendly forum here, which sadly isn't very common.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Even the 3.7 isn't lacking. I do a lot of hunting and fishing and have never felt underpowered. I tow boats, hunting trailers, lots of equipment and do it over some pretty iffy terrain at times. The Nitro hasn't failed me yet!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts