Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know alot of you guys have been waiting for a wiring harness to be released for your Nitros. And most of you know I have been trying to stay on top of this situation since Metra has been slow to deliver. This is some updated info for you. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Their are two harnesses coming from Metra

CHTO-03 - For Nitros with the Amplified System
XSVI-6522 - For Nitros without the Amplified System

The CHTO-03 allows you to replace the factory stereo and retain the use of the OEM amplified system.

The XSVI-6522 is for nonamplified systems.

Some of the info I have gathered from Metra and some of their distributors is that the CHTO-03 comes with a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) lead built in. For folks like myself installing a multimedia unit with navigation you will need a VSS lead for your navigation to even function. Right now I have this beautiful nav system that spins in circles because you cannot get a VSS lead from anything in the vehicle without a module to interpret the Dodge CAN BUS system. So in my case I really don't need the speaker wires from the harness since I tapped into them directly but I can use the VSS, illumination wires and remote turn on lead for an amp. So even thought the CHTO-03 was built for the amplified system it can be used for the non-amplified if you know what leads you need.

The XSVI-6522 still has not been released and the only word I have is that it still may be a few weeks. From what I understand it will not have a VSS lead for those who are in need of it.

The first batches of the CHTO-03 shipped from Metra earlier this week and most were out the door before they even came out of thier boxes and are now on backorder again. Luckily I accidentially had it ordered from 2 locations so I may have an extra come tomorrow. My UPS tracking has them both arriving tomorrow. If someone wants one I may be selling the extra so let me know.

I hope this helps keep alot of you guys informed because I am exhausted from trying to track down the darn info from these guys :D

What craks me up is the Sebring, and Jeep Wrangler are using the same harness so these are going to be a PITA to get a hold of for a while. I did tell the distributor that I bought mine through that thier maybe guys from the forum who would be looking for one. So once I get mine installed tomorrow I will post a full report with photos.

-Lil'

·
Registered
601 Posts
That's great news lilsalmon! Now, I'm going to be purchasing an aftermarket radio for my Nitro, of course I only have the SXT!! I obviously don't have the "amplified system", but you're saying that the CHTO-03 will work if I knew what leads to use? I'm not knowledgeable AT ALL when it comes to car audio, so will a good installer will be able to find the correct leads for the SXT?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NB,
What it comes down to is.... you would have to splice the speaker wires instead of using the ones on the harness. Thats about it. You could use the rest of the wires on the harness with no problem.

-Lil'

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I paid $129.00 for it plus shipping. Just looking to get my money back. If anyone interested PM me and we can figure something out. They are on teh Brown truck for delivery today so when I get home from work I am going to throw it in right away.

Here is a link to what is looks like...functions etc. however steer clear of these folks as they were nothing put a PITA!

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=9868

-Lil'

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is The Chto-03 Harness Reaslly Neccessary

Is the chto-03's absolutely neccessary for the aftrmarket radio i went to a stereo shop the other day and he said he could do whatever i wanted to my nitro with no problems. He priced me at 2500 with the pioneer aviv n3, bluetooth and new speakers subs and an amp along with parts and labor. I went to school with the guy but i still dont trust his ass does anyone have any thoughts on this

·
Registered
281 Posts
The harness is nessasary for the speed sensor/vss wire or if you don't want to cut the harness.

Other than that a standard radio can be installed with no harness. If you have a factory amped system (2) $6.00 line level adaptors will be needed. The rest can be hard wired to points inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
601 Posts
but do u think it is worth them possibly destroying the inside of my vehicle
Look, you shouldn't "trust" anyone first of all. Let's see:

1. Avic-N3 shipped = 1300.00
2. No Bluetooth, N3 doesn't have it.
3. You should buy your parts online and save some dough.
4. Go with an installer that'll give you a "Flat Rate" as opposed to a "per hour" basis. You can find a good one by using this link
http://www.mobiletoys.com/home.asp
5. Get that CHTO-03 Harness! It'll keep everything "Plug n Play".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.