Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may provide useful for anyone looking to add an aftermarket DoubleDIN radio or nav system to your Nitro

I really wanted to put the new Pioneer AVIC - D3 in my Nitro R/T when it comes out in a few months put I suddenly realized that the factory radio opening maybe too small so I did some reseach and measured the opening 300 times and cmae up with this result.

You can fit a Double DIN unit in your Nitro. Metra already has a kit and antenna adapter and is in the process of releasing a wiring harness real soon. A nice guy over at Metra named Matt answer all my questions and even sent over a early prototype photo of the kit of for the double DIN. I figured I'd share this with you guys as it may prove useful.

Photo of the prototype.
View attachment 381

Current Kits for the Nitro From Metra

The Part Number for the 'Soon to Be Released' Wiring Harness
XSVI-6522

-Lil'

· Registered
43 Posts
PHP:
I called the number on the Metra site and they we were willing to ship it to me. The kit would have cost $40 (which includes the shippin)
Who did you talk to when you called Metra? Did you talk to sales or tech support? I called them and they said they cannot sell kits to individuals and were not willing to send one to me. They said I have wait and go through a dealer.

· Registered
108 Posts
Does anyone have any info on the wiring harness? I see that the site above does have the wiring harness matching the part # that lil' salmon listed in the initial post of this thread. Is there something special about it? From what I've seen in other radio posts, there's nothing special about the wiring other than maybe the illumination b/c of the CAN (CAM?) bus (er whatever it is :) ). Any one have any on this, cuz $80 for a wiring harness seems pretty steep.. Not that I'm not going to spend it anyway, cuz I miss my old radio. :jammin:

[edit: Just found the mounting kit on eBay for $10 + 8 for s/h. Just ordered it. I'll let ya know if I get ripped off or not. heh.]

· Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wedge... I emailed back and forth with installer.com and its not in stock as metra has not yet shipped the harness. That will get you a preorder. I would double check with them. I don't want to see you get ripped... I talked to Metra directly yesterday and they haven't shipped any harnesses to anyone yet, with no ETA on arrvial.

BTW it was listed under Jeep because the Wrangler shares the same wiring and radio as the Nitro. Go to jeep.com and look at the interior photos of the wrangler and you will notice the lovely similarity. :)

I didn't want to rain on your parade with the installer.com info, but I wanted to let you know so you aren't waiting patiently thinking its coming.

-Lil'

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anytime buddy. Just lookin out for other NF.com members. :D We are all in this together.

You would think with 2 models (Wrangler/Nitro) that use this harness that Metra would have had this out by now... considering they have been out for almost 4 months now... I will let you guys know the minute I find something. I have been looking daily.

-Lil'

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.