Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
it could be, but it's a long shot, maybe check fuel pressure,
the 3.7L suffers from loose valve lifters and the 4.0L suffers from wear on the cast alloy cam pedistals, both causing valve issues,
thats my reason for suggesting a compression test, its a cheap test, and at least you know the engine is in good order before buying more parts,

·
Registered
91 Posts
My cylinder #2 misfire, and then multiple misfire codes seemed to disappear after I ran a couple tankfulls of gas, with Chevron Techron complete fuel system cleaner. After changing plugs, wires, and coils, I was planning on doing much more investigating, but then the codes just went away one day. I can't say for sure it was the Techron, but the codes never came back.

I also always use Top Teir fuel, but the codes happened right after I bought the Nitro, and I have no idea what kind of gas was used before I got it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My cylinder #2 misfire, and then multiple misfire codes seemed to disappear after I ran a couple tankfulls of gas, with Chevron Techron complete fuel system cleaner. After changing plugs, wires, and coils, I was planning on doing much more investigating, but then the codes just went away one day. I can't say for sure it was the Techron, but the codes never came back.

I also always use Top Teir fuel, but the codes happened right after I bought the Nitro, and I have no idea what kind of gas was used before I got it.
Okay I will try that! I’m just frustrated between the engine misfire & than also there’s coolant bubbling in the reservoir but yet it’s not showing that it’s over heating & I’ve already replaced the thermostat. I’m wondering if the two could be connected somehow

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use Redline SI-1 fuel cleaner.
There's only three products really that are worth using:
  • Redline SI-1
  • Gumout
  • Royal Purple Maxclean

You want something with PEA (aka techron), and those three have the highest amounts. Many of the other fuel cleaners don't have any or no amount worth doing anything.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Okay I will try that! I’m just frustrated between the engine misfire & than also there’s coolant bubbling in the reservoir but yet it’s not showing that it’s over heating & I’ve already replaced the thermostat. I’m wondering if the two could be connected somehow
Did you bleed the coolant line after you changed the thermostat?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use Redline SI-1 fuel cleaner.
There's only three products really that are worth using:
  • Redline SI-1
  • Gumout
  • Royal Purple Maxclean

You want something with PEA (aka techron), and those three have the highest amounts. Many of the other fuel cleaners don't have any or no amount worth doing anything.
Well, there's those, and the original Chevron Techron complete fuel system cleaner. The Techron doesn't specifically list the percentage of PEA, but it does list a "trade secret" ingredient at 35%, which could be the PEA.

Probably can't go wrong with any of them. Just make sure that if you buy any Gumout, it has Regaine in it. That's the PEA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@Thatkidjesse for what it's worth, I recently went through the same thing but with cylinder 5. Swapped everything and it kept coming back, tried an intake cleaner, too, and multiple fuel additives with PEA and got nothing for it. Grabbed a code reader that has some real time data and I have two O2 sensors that are constantly running high voltage and causing me to run lean on one side, the code just happened to throw as cylinder 5. I swapped one of the O2 sensors and the code went away. Maybe give them a try?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts