Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2008 Nitro R/T with 'plastic' roof rails but no crossbars. I have a guy selling Mopar #82205174 crossbars which my web search says will fit the Nitro. He claims he bought them for his Jeep Liberty.

The box appears to have a 10-10-02 date code on it. I've searched this forum and read some crossbar issues but these appear to relate to later year production (circa 2007 or so). Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for on these Mopar crossbars before buying them????

· Registered
180 Posts
And you may not have any rails, just the spot for them. The kit I bought comes with the crossbars and metal rails that bolt to your roof. They allow you to adjust the crossbars to different location along the roof.

My nitro only had the spot for rails hidden behind the plastic "hider" rails. Double check before you buy just crossbars, you may also have to buy rails.

· Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
29,175 Posts
As pat5150 mentioned you will need to look into the plastic rail and see if the metal tracks are in there. 07 and some of the 08 came with them. You can not use OEM cross bars without the metal rails.
Liberty cross bars will not work on a Nitro. The roof/rails/mounting points are different. The part # you have above is for a KK Liberty.

Reactions: Nitrogen

· Registered
5,974 Posts
great info:
thanks pat5150, i didn't realise that i needed rails as well as the cross bars, as the bars i have seen don't mention the rails.
and hopfully ScarO has saved Phoenix from ordering the wrong rails.

· Registered
180 Posts
Haha... I didn't realise I needed the rails either until they came in the package I bought. Then it made sense.

Anyone considering the rails I linked, make sure the screws a STRAIGHT! I had one screw strip on me. Wouldn't be a bad idea just to get upgraded screws. Small expense really to make install and later mods easier.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did wonder about whether some kind of "tracks" would be required as I just have the plastic "hider" rails held to the roof by 5 bolts. The page I found on the web, said that the Mopar 82205174 were ok for the Nitro?????? and it may have even been a Mopar page but I can't recall now after trying a few different pages. My Brother has a Nitro with roof racks but I never really looked at it closely.

I see that the Amazon source says "Package includes a pair of crossbars and a pair of steel channels. All hardware and instruction are also included." that Pat5150 stated above, and which would solve the whole thing! I'll have to check the Canadian Amazon site.

Thanks people.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, that's what I would have expected. I just checked the Canadian Amazon site and they do not list the crossbar/rail package that you posted. The good thing is I'm not really needing them until next year, so I've got time to investigate this further.

· Premium Member
29,175 Posts
Usually if you do not have the metal rails, the plastic channel has small plastic filler pieces you need to snap off and remove from under the nuts to install the metal rails.
Without the plastic fillers, the nut would not hold the plastic down, as the nuts are of the acorn type.
This will then allow the metal rail to sit flat in the plastic channel.
Installation instructions Can be found here. Roof rail install Post 2. In post 11 you can see the plastic tabs, under the nuts, which have to be removed to install your metal rails. Very easy DIY job.

Reactions: Phoenix1151

· Registered
16 Posts
Easy peasy installation, however, we just had our first rain storm since I purchased and installed the cross bar system, and I have water coming in to the car- I am assuming from the same place I installed the racks. when I removed the nuts/spacers, I noticed that the screws had what look to be crud on them- I thought maybe the crud was really old (10 years old) grease- like vacuum grease- to keep water from entering the cars roofing system.
Well- I hate to say this, but I now have water damage on both sides of the interior ceiling starting just about where the back seat starts- and runs all the way to the back.
I did not have any parts left over at the end- but I did have to remove the spacers- they wouldn't work when I lined up the spacers/screws/nuts.

My nitro is a 2007- we bought it with 3000 miles on it in 2007. no roof rack when we purchases it. The leaks started when we installed the rack.

I am bummed.

Any one else have this problem?

Anyone have a good suggestion on getting the water to stop coming in to the ceiling?

On the plus side- the rack works incredibly well- I hauled our 16' 150lb canoe around over two trips and 1500 miles with zero issues.

Gusbo

· Premium Member
29,175 Posts
Reactions: Nitrogen

· Registered
16 Posts
Scar0. awesome link!- that was really helpful. I wonder if I cracked the weld on one or more? Its supposed to rain tonight, and tomorrow and sunny on Sunday- that's when I will pull everything off the roof top and inspect for cracks.
I am bummed by the water marks. Tarps until Sunday.

· Registered
16 Posts
Gosh- a sunroof would be nice- but no.
I think it's the stress of the canoe on the new roof racks. I can almost see the cracks after each time I cranked down on the straps. dang it. Pic later of the canoe on the rack, the racks removed, and close up of the studs.

· Registered
16 Posts
My wife is wondering if the dealership will still honor the repair from the RRT-08-099?

If the dealership doesn't fix it, I suppose the marine epoxy will have to do the work.

For the epoxy application- most epoxies I have used when cured are pretty hard- so I need to think about how to make it so it's still an effective seal against the pressure of the straps pulling the boat down on to the rack. maybe a layering build up of material.

Anyway- what a bummer on this.

Thanks for all your help Scar0

· Premium Member
29,175 Posts
Was the RR done to your ride already?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.