Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 se 3.7L. I bought probably 6 months ago and in those 6 months my starting problems have rendered my nitro completely useless because it pretty much never starts. Every time I turn the key I get one crank and sometimes it’ll eventually start but then I can’t go anywhere and turn it off because then it really won’t start for at least 24 hr. But sometimes not for weeks. And sometimes I can get it started if I keep switching back and forth between neutral and park. But even then it could take up to 10-15 min just to start. I replaced the starter the alternator the crank shaft sensor and I’m about to do the cam shaft censor but is there anything else that I should change for the assurance? Anything electrical? I don’t know too much about cars and I’d like to know more about my car but it’s been sitting in one spot for months not being driven so I’m just lost on it. My boyfriend is to the point of putting a whole new engine in it and that’s stressing me out. What do y’all think?
thank you so much for reading!

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,342 Posts
I have a 2009 se 3.7L. I bought probably 6 months ago and in those 6 months my starting problems have rendered my nitro completely useless because it pretty much never starts. Every time I turn the key I get one crank and sometimes it’ll eventually start but then I can’t go anywhere and turn it off because then it really won’t start for at least 24 hr. But sometimes not for weeks. And sometimes I can get it started if I keep switching back and forth between neutral and park. But even then it could take up to 10-15 min just to start. I replaced the starter the alternator the crank shaft sensor and I’m about to do the cam shaft censor but is there anything else that I should change for the assurance? Anything electrical? I don’t know too much about cars and I’d like to know more about my car but it’s been sitting in one spot for months not being driven so I’m just lost on it. My boyfriend is to the point of putting a whole new engine in it and that’s stressing me out. What do y’all think?
thank you so much for reading!
I had the same issue. I narrowed it down to the Park Range Sensor that is inside the transmission. It’s basically the same concept as a Park Neutral Safety switch, down side is it’s in the transmission and not in/around the shifter like most vehicles.
Once I replaced it, I have not had anymore starting issues. (This was my fix, just something else to think of when it comes to no start issues)
‘11 Nitro 3.7L 42RLE (4spd)

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,342 Posts
Click the link, that is what the sensor looks like. They’ve seem to have change the name of the sensor lol
And it’s a LOT cheaper than replacing the engine.
Fairly easy to replace if you want to do it yourself. Youtube has a couple video’s i believe for guidance/help
*remove the transmission pan ( FYI their is no drain plug for the pan, so once the pan is knocked loose fluid it going to start coming out)
*Remove the filter (might as well replace the filter)
*Remove the valve body
*Remove the sensor
*Then put everything back together in reverse.
(42RLE 4spd uses ATF +4 transmission fluid 4-5qts) I recommend using some RTV/Silicone for the pan, I used the rubber gasket from the filter kit once and it did not work very well for me…

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...ralast-back-up-light-switch-sw5235/795173_0_0

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,673 Posts

Good to have you here. Enjoy the forum!
BTW... Post a pic of your Nitro when you can.

·
Registered
2007 R/T
89 Posts
"I replaced the starter the alternator the crank shaft sensor and I’m about to do the cam shaft censor ...."

Wow, that's expensive stuff. Didn't want to take it to a mechanic for diagnosis?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts