Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Since I purchased my SXT in 2007, I have regularly gotten Evap error codes. Usually a bit of silicone on the fuel cap seemed to fix the problem. Recently, it wouldn't fix the issue. The CEL eventually lead to the ever-annoying "FUELCAP" message. I removed the cap, disassembled it, cleaned it and siliconed it which did not fix the problem. I used a code reader to reset the codes, which immediately returned. I said screw it and ignored the lights.

Fast forward a week and I got a 0201 and 0301 blip, then no further issue for another week. Then, 0201, 0301 again and wound up limping home.

I pulled the injector from #1, which was black, and replaced it. The car fired right up and all codes cleared. No further issues.

My question is: How do the fuel injectors affect the evap/gas cap sensors? I'm stumped.

Thanks!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Good question. Only thing I can think of would be one that was leaking fuel bad enough, to cause a lack of pressure sufficient enough, to cause the EVAP pressure sensor to kick on.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't really seem plausible since all those systems are so separated..... but, that's the best we've got. It's a really strange occurance.

edit: maybe that's not as strange as it seems. I suppose if the ECU is calculating average fuel usage for X RPMs and the fuel line is getting pressured for X +Y%, it could get confused and throw an error which could be a close approximation to the problem.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Mine was a total guess. Maybe the 2 are unrelated...
EVAP pressure sensor keeps track of tank vapor pressure after x# of minutes the engine is running. It would have to leak a lot to not allow the vapor pressure in the tank to build up.

Guess you'll know if your mileage improves greatly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that's a scary thought. My mileage has always hovered around 18-19.5, so it never seemed out of ordinary but did seem pretty low considering I drive very lightly (hitting 3k during acceleration is aggressive for me). We'll see!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Low? Dang what I wouldn't give for that kind of mileage... LOL

Reactions: Flsaltydog

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
You sure?

0 to 50,55, first and second gear.
I've hit 60 in second gear every once in a while, just to keep the carbon burnt out. Then I shift to 6th...

Reactions: Nitrogen and scj

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh lord! :D

Funny development. This morning my car threw a P0440. That's a new one. I hate this evap stuff.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Reactions: Nitrogen and scj

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
P0440 = Evaporative emission (EVAP) system - malfunction. Possible causes; Hose connection(s), intake leak, EVAP canister purge valve.
At the left front by the battery on a little bracket is the purge valve.
Check the hoses going to it.
Check out https://www.nitroforumz.com/threads/small-evap-leak-found-and-repaired.44657/
I had a few minutes to run out and poke around under the hood. No visible hose issues, tears, holes or disconnects. I did do the key flip trick and the CEL, while still on, returned "-------" followed by "---done---" so, am I to assume that the problem has corrected itself and the computer just needs to meet the time/startup quota to clear the light?

I said it before and I'll say it again: I hate this evap stuff.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Can't say 100% yes, since it is a new code.

Reactions: scj

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After reading a post here about cracking seals on the filler opening, I took a quick peek. Looks like I found the problem. I wiped a bit of excess silicone from the cap and smeared it on the cracks and that alone was enough to turn the CEL off. After 11 years these things happen, I suppose....

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts