Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks Im new to this forum and wasn't quite sure where to put this question:

I looking to buy a Nitro VERY soon (this week).

I was wondering if you all have discovered any must-have options. For example, I'm trading a 06 HHR that I bought off the showroom floor. I found out later that HHR's without runningboards installed would have paint chipping and sandblasting of the rear quarter panels from road debris. I want to avoid that PITA with this new purchase.

I also have been reading about this "shut-off" problem and I plan to take the TSB in with me when I buy to make sure that this is addressed before I leave the lot. Are there any others that you have noticed?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Well teech. The only must have options really depends on you. From your previous purchases the only person that can make that decision is you. The Nitro has a lot of choices to order but if you are picking one off the lot they already are nicely equiped anyway. A SXT has probably the fewest with the SLT having more and the R/T with the most. Your budget comes into play too. You , are the decision maker and the final say so. Pick and go....Good luck with the shopping. David

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I think it's pretty much a... what trim level & options are important to you thing. Make sure the one you pick has cruise control!!! I was amazed at how many Nitros here in Columbus didn't have cruise... even leather seated SLT's. Most of the things you'll notice but some are easy to miss like... some SXT's don't have lighted vanity mirrors. Some do, some don't, have home link garage door opener built in. Some have single, some have multiple CD players. You'll hear a lot of people talking about switching over to 20" wheels... so that's something you might look at before you buy. For me and my Khaki SXT I'm looking to add the 20" wheels... everything else was all I needed. Hope this helps... good luck to ya!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I should be more clear.

I was wondering if there was an option that people didn't get, but regretted later. No necessarily a want, but more of a necessity. The running boards on my chevy is an example. Had I known i would have had extra damage (serious damage...there is a tsb to repaint) without them, I would have gotten them factory installed.

Im just trying to do my homework this time to get what I NEED out of the gate.

Thanks for the replies...you guys are pretty fast!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Teech, the dealer will not perform the TSB before the vehicle leaves the lot. Yuo have to experience the problem, then they will fix it. I know, I know. . .
Oh believe me, by the way the shut off sounds on here, I'll be in the parking lot testing it out before I leave...another test drive. This time I'll be looking for it to shut off or shift in the lot or studder at 40 mph. Then I ask them to fix it with TSB in hand.

I went through the "there is no problem" dance with my HHR. Only with the chevy, I had experienced problems that the dealer could not replicate, therefore they didn't exist (even though there were TSB's to document that my problems weren't uncommon). I think that was what tipped the scales and the moment I decided to trade up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I want to echo what most others have said already, that the options for the most part are up to your own preferences. So far, there haven't been any reports of problems on an unmodified vehicle that could have been avoided by including an available option, and we all hope it stays that way.

The biggest recommendation is if there's an option you're on the fence about, then find one that has it factory installed now rather than expecting to be able to add it later. I've had problems with my dealer-installed Mopar remote start kit. Like NitroWill, I do wish I had gotten the factory installed UConnect, as it's different from the dealer-installed unit. I'm glad I got the factory installed tow package. Sure, you could install it later and make it look like it's factory installed from the outside, but that one won't include the upgraded engine cooler and upgraded power steering cooler, or the full-size spare tire.

I think you said you were looking at SLTs in another thread. Of the available options, the only thing that might "pay for itself" eventually is the security alarm, and that's only if your insurance company adjusts your premiums for such things.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to echo what most others have said already, that the options for the most part are up to your own preferences. So far, there haven't been any reports of problems on an unmodified vehicle that could have been avoided by including an available option, and we all hope it stays that way.

The biggest recommendation is if there's an option you're on the fence about, then find one that has it factory installed now rather than expecting to be able to add it later. I've had problems with my dealer-installed Mopar remote start kit. Like NitroWill, I do wish I had gotten the factory installed UConnect, as it's different from the dealer-installed unit. I'm glad I got the factory installed tow package. Sure, you could install it later and make it look like it's factory installed from the outside, but that one won't include the upgraded engine cooler and upgraded power steering cooler, or the full-size spare tire.

I think you said you were looking at SLTs in another thread. Of the available options, the only thing that might "pay for itself" eventually is the security alarm, and that's only if your insurance company adjusts your premiums for such things.
That's good to know. I'm having the remote start installed, but declined the tow package (rethinking it now). I did ask for the spare tire though. I also talked to the dealer about the security alarm. By the looks of it, Im pretty well covered with the options I want. I just didn't want another running board debacle.

THanks for the replies guys...I'll keep you informed about my Nitro journey...only a few things that could interfere with the deal, but I'm 90% sure I'll have one soon.

·
Registered
186 Posts
One more thing to consider about the tow package - Both of the local dealers I spoke with mentioned that along with the full sized spare, the springs/shock/sway bars are beefier. One car review I read said that when not towing, the factory hitch option gives a better ride than a Nitro without that package.:Racing:

·
Registered
72 Posts
What I wish that I had ordered from the factory.

When I bought my Nitro SLT it came with four-wheel drive, 17" wheels, moonroof, automatic with tow package, cruise, airbags all around, ESP, fog lights and a single CD player. I only wish that I had purchased the stow and go.

Also in the last 8 months I've only seen 11 other Nitro's in the Salisbury, MD area and 3 of those are black like mine and neither of them have the same package as mine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I only purchased the base factory audio, as I had planned to upgrade to an aftermarket system

When I went to pick up my RT, the dealer mentioned that Chrysler Dodge threw in the 6CD, 8 speaker and surround with Sirius Satellite.

Although I overlooked this option, it is a great addition. I do regret not getting the Uconnect now. I thought I could just use a bluetooth headset, but UConnect woul dbe so much easier.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Hey folks Im new to this forum and wasn't quite sure where to put this question:

I looking to buy a Nitro VERY soon (this week).

I was wondering if you all have discovered any must-have options. For example, I'm trading a 06 HHR that I bought off the showroom floor. I found out later that HHR's without runningboards installed would have paint chipping and sandblasting of the rear quarter panels from road debris. I want to avoid that PITA with this new purchase.

I also have been reading about this "shut-off" problem and I plan to take the TSB in with me when I buy to make sure that this is addressed before I leave the lot. Are there any others that you have noticed?
Buy the 6speed manual and avoid all the tranny problems. In my opoinion, it is always better to shift for yourself if you know how. You also get 2 more gears and a bit better mileage and ooph.

Must have option (or should I say stantard) for me is the 6speed manual.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I agree with KenCary...go with the manual box...I have the auto just because the wifey wanted it, but auto is by far better and a damn sight cheaper if it blows.

I opted for tow package..full size spare tire, heavy duty oil cooler etc,
6 disc cd changer,
Sunroof,
17" Wheels with peformance tires,

and thats about it.. all the rest is just gimmicks to me.

The wifey wanted a DVD for the kids. If the kids can't do without TV for 5 mins on the way to school or the grocery store, then I have a serious problem, but thats just my opinion.

Think seriously before opting for stuff you don't really need, after all you're paying for it...

·
Nitro Addict!
538 Posts
Must have options for me

As the proud owner of two Nitros, an SLT loaded with the rear seat entertainment system, running boards, U-Connect hands free phone, Satellite Radio w/6 disc DVD, Moon Roof, Heated Leather Front Seats, and Tow Package with upgraded 17" wheels and tires AND a R/T less loaded with the same heated leather seats, satellite 6 disc DVD radio w/U-Connect, but no rear seat entertainment system.

Must have options are:

U-Connect hands free phone
20" wheels (unless you upgrade to them with after market)
Heated Leather Seats (but only if you live in the cold or have a bad back)
Tow Package w/full size spare
R/T suspension and 4.0L V6 w/5 speed automatic transmission

The last option is the most important as the extra gear and 50hp with better suspension make the Nitro a different vehicle (sorry SXT and SLT owners, but you have no idea how much difference the R/T makes)

(Here come the flames) :4-jump2::4-jump2::4-jump2:

·
Registered
266 Posts
The things I had to have was the running boards, 6disk mp3 player, uconnect and cloth seats. The one thing I wish I would have done was the tow package. But since the husband's Ram has the tow package, I didnt get it. I am still very happy with it.:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I really wanted the full size spare and the factory tow package, but when I checked them out at 2 dealers, both told me none of their Nitros came in with those options. One told me to just go to U-Haul and get a tow package there. I was a bit dissapointed by that. I'm still planning on adding the factory tow package.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Buy the 6speed manual and avoid all the tranny problems. In my opoinion, it is always better to shift for yourself if you know how. You also get 2 more gears and a bit better mileage and ooph.

Must have option (or should I say stantard) for me is the 6speed manual.

I agree. I got the SXT with the 6 speed because after driving both --the 6 speed complimented the 3.7 torque/power curve better than the auto did -- which gives it better drivability, oomph and mileage.

My SXT package also has all the features of the SLT except for the stow and go and even more -- color matched fender flares, chrome package, Sirius, homelink, full size spare, fog lamps, 17's, air, cruise, floor mats, compass, thermometer, no sunroof though, but thats OK because I always burn my ever increasing forehead anyways.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.