Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is, K&N FIPK Intake. I don't have dyno sheets yet, although they promised they would email them in the next couple of days. Can tell the difference in performance and what great people to deal with. Any questions let me know. Oh, and by the way, they are looking for a 4.0L also. If you pm me I can give you direct contact info.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
nitroinsocal, I want to ask a question, but not sure how to get it out. I have used a K&N system similar to this in the past. Their box bolts down to some of the same locations as the stock air box, I think?? Is that a two sided heat shield with a solid bottom and open to the front, or do they also have a shield in front and opening to the fender? Ok, not very well worded, but I think you get the idea. I am guessing that this air box would be identical for an R/T.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nitroinsocal, I want to ask a question, but not sure how to get it out. I have used a K&N system similar to this in the past. Their box bolts down to some of the same locations as the stock air box, I think?? Is that a two sided heat shield with a solid bottom and open to the front, or do they also have a shield in front and opening to the fender? Ok, not very well worded, but I think you get the idea. I am guessing that this air box would be identical for an R/T.
It is open to the front and the fender.

Right on. Clean & simple. I like it. But I hate to ask the price.
Thanks. I don't know the price, sorry. You'd have to contact them or a dealer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Is this now out for the Nitro? I'll go ask the local K&N Dealer today.

I'd love to get one of these units installed, yes I agree with airjnky and hate to know the price, but I'd prefer a more reputable name brand than the ones I see up on ebay.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Here it is, K&N FIPK Intake. I don't have dyno sheets yet, although they promised they would email them in the next couple of days. Can tell the difference in performance and what great people to deal with. Any questions let me know. Oh, and by the way, they are looking for a 4.0L also. If you pm me I can give you direct contact info.
Any word on the dyno sheets yet and did they say when they thought it would be available for sale to the general public? I emailed them a little while back and they had no info on it. I even mentioned in my email that I saw pictures of the kit on your Nitro.

·
Registered
202 Posts
how about some sound clips at WOT and some normal acceleration? So I checked K&N's website and saw nothing about this at all save for the air filter and the oil filter. I imagine that this is something that is going to be coming out soon? Haven't seen any on e-bay but I trust K&N making something for a dodge more than some import performance company...

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
I just got off of the phone with Todd McNulty at K&N Engineering and he indicated to me that he has no idea when the kit is going to hit the street. It's coming, just don't know when. He also told me that two different kits will be available. Most likely the Typhoon Series and the one pictured in this thread.

G

·
KN actually has 2 models out right now. Their website will direct you. I contacted KN who told me you have to custom order. I actually just purchased an AEM today. Shouyld be in in about 1 week. Also, installed a magnaflow exhaust. Sounds sweet. I will post my findings when I see them. A definite increase in power with the exhaust. Just remember all of you looking at a flowmaster. CFM is about 4-450 whereas a magnaflow is 7-750. Also, KN told me the 63-1554 model will actually outperform the others as it is rubber and will mould better than steel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just remember all of you looking at a flowmaster. CFM is about 4-450 whereas a magnaflow is 7-750. Also, KN told me the 63-1554 model will actually outperform the others as it is rubber and will mould better than steel.
OK heres the deal with CFM on a vehicle like the Nitro. Putting a muffler on that will actually flow 750 cubic feet of air on a Nitro is the equivlant of no muffler at all. You need a little back pressuse in the exhaust in order to help produce torque. I doubt you could push 400 cfm through the pipe that runs to the muffler so it makes no differance that one will flow 750 CFM. I really think some gave you some inflated or deflated claims on one or both of these deals. If you stop and think that a 350 Chevy running at 100% VE will barely swallow 750 CFM of air and just imagine how much of that air is used up on the power stroke (the reason exhaust valves are smaller) and stuffed out the exhaust wouldn't need a muffler that flows 750 CFM. Just a little food for thought. JW

·
Registered
425 Posts
Actually the backpressure idea is no longer true with EFI. What you DO need however, is exhaust velocity. The faster the exhaust gases are moving, the more vacuum they create in the cylinder, sucking exhaust gases out and fresh air in. The perfect system would be small enough diameter exhaust to get a high velocity, but 0 backpressure.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I Just bolted my K&N intake kit on this Sunday. I don't have the headers, exhaust or Jet chip in so this is a good indication of the K&N effect alone.

There is a clear improvement in throttle response, Low and midrange torque improved. 6th gear pulls much better at 2,000 RPM than it did before.

The only thing that is dissapointing is that this is very quiet. I had hoped for the 4 BBl moan that came with all that V8's that I have modified in this way.

The K&N is a bit louder, but I wish it would resonate in cabin like a V8.

Ken

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
My Polished K&N Installed Intake Kit

Here are spme pictures of the polished version of the K&N CAI.

As mentioned, overpriced, but very well made. All parts fit like a glove and material quality and finish was top notch.

Ken

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.