My Next Mod...

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro Exterior Modifications' started by Metaldog, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Metaldog

Metaldog Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4 3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Just ordered this today:

s-l500.jpg

CCFL Halo headlights & smoke red/dark wine tinted tail lights with LED's. Got a great deal from NOPI.com. After I ordered them, the seller called me to tell me they were out of stock, so they called the manufacturer to get more. The manufacturer was out also, but scheduled to make more on the 23rd. The good thing is that the set is going to be sent direct from the manufacturer, but I won't get 'em until the first of April, probably.

I'm OK with that! The weather should be a lot warmer by then. I'm super anxious to get these on the TRO, to see how it looks once installed. Puts me that much closer to a blacked out Nitro (it's a process). ;)

chefgibson and Deen like this.
  2. Deen

Deen Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    08 Nitro, 4X4 ,auto, 3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Black
    Can't wait to see those on there! The halos are great, I love them, however the headlight bulb they come with isn't the brightest. I've been looking at the taillights but haven't made that jump yet.

Can't wait for nicer weather to be able to work on my mods. Also, hope it doesn't come in on the 1st....that could be a bad April fools! :p

3. Metaldog

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    My local window tint shop also does lighting. Tom, the owner, told me he would install 6000k LED headlights for about $70. That price is for the lights and the install. I think I may just do that. If anything goes wrong, it won't be on me. LOL

With this setup, the turn signals and the tail lights are already LED, but the headlights are CCFL.

4. Deen

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Black
    I've been looking into the led headlights as well. That way I can actually see down the road. LOL

5. Metaldog

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Yes sir! I definitely need 'em since my windows are tinted. My wife drove the Nitro to work the other day. She said it was hard to see the road, so I told her how to turn the fog lights on. She said that was better, but it was still not bright enough for her. I then told her about these headlights. She fussed like crazy over the price, and initially said "NO!". But quickly realized It was a good deal with tail lights included. Plus, she just spent some of the tax check on herself, so she called me at work and gave me her blessings. She felt guilty after buying something for herself. o_O:p:cool:

6. Metaldog

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Saturday, 4/15 was a nice sunny day, so I finally had opportunity to install the new lights. Everything was in a couple of weeks ago. Just been waiting for good weather. I started late in the day, so It was after dark when I finished up.

I also painted the mess

Here are a couple pics I took Sunday (Easter) morning. Weather was rainy and overcast:

IMG_20170416_083649811 (1).jpg IMG_20170416_083713898 (1).jpg

Attached Files:

7. Deen

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Black
    Looking good!

8. Metaldog

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Thanks, Deen! I have to say... I think that front end shot is one of my faves, so far. :)

9. NitroChemist

NitroChemist Active Member NOTM Winner! Military

Vehicle:
    Nitro SXT '08
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    Darth Vader look!

10. Jason espinoza

Jason espinoza Active Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Black
    Did you ever put leds or hids in these?

11. Metaldog

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    No sir. The lights are CCFL, but they are surprisingly brighter than I thought they would be. Much brighter than factory!

I was going to convert them but decided against it. I've read several threads on other forums, and several reviews on the conversion to HID or LED. The lenses in the headlights have a convex shape (like a magnifying glass). For this reason, the HID/LED do not disperse the light well and the beams act more like a flood light, than a focused beam. I've read that due to the "flood light effect", that even though the converted lights are brighter than factory, they are not much better as far as distance is concerned. :(

In order to compensate for the CCFL's light intensity, I plan to replace my fog lights with CREE LED lights. I also may add a Brite Box switch when I do.

The way the lighting is set from the factory... The fog lights turn OFF when the high beams are ON. The Brite Box bypasses this function, keeping the fog lights ON when high beams are ON. :)

Scar0 and Deen like this.
  12. pat5150

pat5150 Active Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    08 Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Sunburst Orange
    That's a mean looking front end!
    Looks Awesome!

Metaldog likes this.
  13. Metaldog

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Thank you, Pat! It definitely gets the looks when out & about.

I just bought a dash cam for safety reasons. I can't tell you how many times someone has nearly hit me head on or sideswiped me because of ogling at the truck as they drive by. At least with the dash cam, if I get hit in the front, I can defend my case better.

The dash cam was inspired by the ugly insurance battle we are having over my daughters recent accident. She hit another driver going thru a traffic intersection. Both drivers claim to have had the green light, and now it has turned into a drawn out investigation. So now our attorney is petitioning for camera footage of the intersection. Had she had a dash cam, the case would be closed.

My wife was a little pissed at me because I bought dash cams for every vehicle (5 to be exact). But, I'd rather spend a few hundred on dash cams , than thousands I don't need to.

Deen likes this.
  14. Deen

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Black
    It's for her safety. She'll thank you later!

Metaldog likes this.
  15. Metaldog

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Exactly! My thought as well. :)

16. droopy702

droopy702 New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Bright White
    I have the same kit on mine. I got the head lights and brake lights separate though. Went with the HID deep blue 55w head lights. I just love how they look. Next step is to get the halo fog lights.

Metaldog likes this.
  17. jerry theros

jerry theros New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Dodge Nitro
    Trim:
    SE
    Color:
    Black
    Man, the new lights look sharp! I was thinking of the headlight mod as well, will post a pic a bit later.
    I am concerned about the turn signals, man. Let me ask you - if the turn signals are LED, like yours, don't they hyperflash? Because that seems to be the main problem about the aftermarket lights. And some vehicles even throw that electrical etrror code, you know, because they do not recognize LEDs as normal bulbs. The same story with teh LED DRL's... they do not lit up evenly, and kinda flash all the way. How did the LEDs work out on your Nitro, any issues with flashing/flickering...?

18. Metaldog

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    @ jerry theros...

Hi, Jerry! And welcome to the forumZ. Thanks for the compliment, too! I absolutely love these lights, and they work great without issues. The headlights are manufactured with built in inverter ballasts for the CCFL, and the turn signals have load resistors built in, as well.

The complete headlight assembly is 98% plug & play, so to speak. The only part that isn't is the HALO lights. The halo's are low load LED that must be wired into the system. It's your choice as to how & where you wish to wire the halo's. Most folks use quick splice electrical connectors and tap them into the parking lights.

I wanted to turn the halo's on independently, So I wired them to a switch on the dash. Now, I can run with them on or off.

I used these connectors under the dash for ease of removal (if needed):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DXYCLQU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the switch I installed in the dash:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D2S6LDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You know, you just made me think that I should probably add some more pics to show the end result. Overall, a great set of lights!

jerry theros and Scar0 like this.
  19. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Ever notice how bright the LED turn signals are? I was shocked to see the reflection off of everything forward of them. Like street signs across an intersection. WOW.

How do you like the dash cams? What brand did you get? Hows is the video quality?
    Been thinking of investing in some myself, after my daughter was also in an accident.
    She rear ended someone, so it was automatically her fault. But I believe the guy she hit, merged, and slammed on the brakes.
    Here is why I think that;
    He had been in a previous accident and his whole front end was toast. Then suddenly, a week after the accident, and after talking to his uncle (a lawyer), his neck hurt real bad.
    I'm guessing he got hit hard with a suite from when he rear ended someone else prior to this happening to us, and figured it was easy $ and a way to try to get a new rig.
    Sorry for the rant. I really dislike scammers...
    Did I mention my daughters airbags didn't even go off?

jerry theros likes this.
  20. Metaldog

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    The LED lights are amazing! And very bright! Especially the tail lights. I'm very glad that I bought the dark red tails vs. standard tails. At first, I was concerned that the tail lenses were too dark to see the lights during the day. I watched my wife drive down the street in it & when she hit the brakes, I was shocked at how vividly bright they were. Even in daylight I have no concerns as to if they will be seen.

Dash cams: For my wife & daughter, we got the TRANSCEND DRIVE PRO 220. Mainly due to the user friendliness, and ease of use. For the other vehicles, including Nitro, we got the VANTRUE X1 PRO. Each can be had for roughly $80-110 depending on where you get it. I bought ours from Amazon.com.

The Vantrue has 170 degree view & the Drive Pro have 145 degree view. This difference is very noticeable in the play back video. In the Nitro, The Vantrue has clear coverage of the front and sides up to about where the front wheel well skirt starts, giving you vision of all lanes to the front and sides, plus about the front 1/4 of the hood.

The Transcend cameras are just as good, but not as wide of an angle. All cameras have great day view, with decent night view. The night view is not as good as I would like, but I found that it is better with more forward lighting (i.e fog lights, etc.)

They all have continual loop recording (up to 5 minutes), and snapshot capability. Video quality is surprisingly good for such small cameras. My only con is that the video quality is a little grainy at night, so clarity is not perfect. Daytime is crisp and clear, however. Overall, I am pleased with the dash cams.

jerry theros and Scar0 like this.