07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
29,175 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Did you see Carlain's rack tent?
http://www.nitroforumz.com/showpost.php?p=175137&postcount=45
It's pretty cool, but it is always there, so it would make it hard to carry cargo on the rack when in motion.
I have seen this one but it is an arm and a leg, not to mention taking the entire roof.

My plans are to build yet another rack that will have a small light cage up front along with a small basket to carry my Action Packer boxes (2). After that the rack will be flat to accommodate the tent. Plans are for the tent to fold over to the drivers side and I will still run the awning on the passenger side. Front and rear of the tent I am going to build a pair of hoops left to right to carry my kayaks directly above laying on the cockpits. Something like this...

...But my light cage will be similar to the one I am running now. I also plan to ditch the conduit and build the next one out of 3/4" or 1" thin wall DOM tubing for better welding properties. EMT not fun to weld with that nasty coating on it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Had the Nitro on the mountain today investigating some of the new windmills that have gone up. Lost of roads and trails closed off, but it was a nice trial run.

·
Premium Member
29,175 Posts
Sounds like you pretty much have things figured out. EMT SUCKS to weld on big time, but the cost makes it pretty tempting to use, and was a deciding factor when I made my rack. I just never figured it would be so difficult to get paint to stick to. LOL Next time I have to paint it, I will sand blast all the Galvi off to raw steel and have it powder coated.
I thought about bed liner, but I really need to be able to slide things on and off. I find bed liner to be a little sticky for that.

Reactions: NITROVER

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
One sweet looking Nitro Mr. Smalls...:cool:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
slightly off subject, but do you by chance know what the size and thread pitch is on the roof rack studs?
6MM x 1 Pitch

Working on Aluminum spacers for the new rack recently so the size in ingrained in my brain.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
lol thanks... ya that's exactly what I'm working on today!

what size diameter spacer are you using? I have a couple feet of 1" laying around im hoping to use.
I'm using 3/4" stock cut to 1" length. Ordered the steel for my new rack last week, going with 3/4" 16gauge tubing rather than EMT. About 2x the price compared to EMT but welding EMT sucks and looks like boogers compared to my steel welding.

Keep us posted of your progress, everyone always enjoys seeing someone else's take on the same project. I am accommodating a tent that when closed will have a foot print of 56" x 48" x 12" (WxLxH) on the rack, so I will have some engineering to do in order to get this figured out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
How hard is it to take off the front bumper. I am think of make a bumper for my nitro.
The factory bumper or the one I made?

Factory is a little tough. Many plastic clips everywhere you can imagine. Couple tough to get to bolts as well. My aftermarket bumper takes about 10 minutes to remove with four 5/8" grade 8 bolts.

Victorsmalls, Just out of curiosity, how did you run the wiring for your lights on the roof rack?
I ran power from under the hood up the drivers side under the plastic trim piece next to the window and out the bolt hole in the plastic roof trim on drivers side.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Worked for a solid 8 hours today on the newest rack. Went together straight and pretty much what I had in my head. The one picture you can see the 42" led that I am switching to. Just after the light is a spot for a pair of Rubbermaid action packers. After the action packers will be the tent, which will fold over the drivers side of the truck. Awning going back on the passenger side.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
I put in some more work last night and got most of the steel in for the led light mount.

Still needs some work, but it is getting there.

·
Premium Member
29,175 Posts
Ah. Now I see... In the last post it was hard to tell the drivers side only had one tier where the tent would be. Now it makes total sense. Once the tent is closed, then you can store stuff on top of it. COOL!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Still tweaking the rack a bit to fit the tent so that it is easily accessible. End up removing the top bar on the rear of the rack for more room.

Yesterday the wife and I took the dogs on the Kammerdiner Trail in Bald Eagle State Forest. Trail was pretty tight in spots and I had to drive over some fallen trees. We made it in one piece but it was a little more than I had bargained for as the first trip out with the Nitro with all of the new mods and work done.

Reactions: NITROVER
201 - 220 of 329 Posts