Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my hands on the latest version of the MyGIG (REN, No Navigiation) and cracked it open. Interesting stuff, I think. I sure wish I had more knowledge about these HDD based headunits. I'd re-write the software, install a larger hard drive, and so on. I haven't seen details on the HDD space for music but notice the drive is 30GB, what's truly availabe I don't know yet. Hmm, the MyGIG is said to have a 20GB HD and apparently 12GB is eaten up by NAV and only 8GB. Well check out the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
So I got my hands on the latest version of the MyGIG (REN, No Navigiation) and cracked it open. Interesting stuff, I think. I sure wish I had more knowledge about these HDD based headunits. I'd re-write the software, install a larger hard drive, and so on. I haven't seen details on the HDD space for music but notice the drive is 30GB, what's truly availabe I don't know yet. Hmm, the MyGIG is said to have a 20GB HD and apparently 12GB is eaten up by NAV and only 8GB. Well check out the pics.
Thanks for the pics Larry, very interesting. I'm wondering who actually makes those head units anyway? I thought I had heard they were manufactured by Harmon Kardon, but I'm not sure. :confused:

Yeah, I was pissed when I noticed that about the space consumption. I have 3600+ songs in my iPod, but can't put but a fraction on the HDD. :mad:

Are the pin connections on the back exactly the same as the unit with nav? :wavey:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John...so far I haven't been able to look at the actual pinouts of the 2008 Carvan wiring diagrams, they don't seem to be working. However, I'm betting on Chrysler usually maintains the same pinouts across the board. Finger corssed. :) As far as who makes the unit, I'll do some more poking around on it and see if there are some manfacturer names printed anywhere.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's a Samsung drive with a description as follows:
HDD 30GB 2,5 P-ATA AUTOMOTIVE RoHSconf
It is the only drive I found rated as "automotive" and the other thing to watch for is this is an old school parallel ATA interface.

If someone was daring, try the following drive and just use diskcopying software that goes sector by sector.
A close match to this might be the HM160HC.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
You'd firgure if people can hack the XBOX and install larger drives, it must be possible with the MyGIG.
I'm sure too that it isn't magic involved here. We just need to know what operating system it is, so you can transfer the software and data over as niftie suggested. If the drive can be put into a USB enclosure and read on a standard Windows operating system such as XP or Vista, then it's a piece of cake.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Actually, the OS is irrelevant. An older computer with a secondary parallel ide chain would work. Plug the old and new MyGig drives into it and do a sector by sector copy. The software is fairly common and only the pc's from the last few years have serial ata so the parallel thing shouldn't be an issue.
Now I just a donor MyGig drive to copy.
So who has the stones?
:thk:

I'm sure too that it isn't magic involved here. We just need to know what operating system it is, so you can transfer the software and data over as niftie suggested. If the drive can be put into a USB enclosure and read on a standard Windows operating system such as XP or Vista, then it's a piece of cake.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems some other forums have been looking into this......there's speculation the OS is Linux. That's all I've come up with so far. Hey niftie if I had disposable cash I'd send a MyGIG your way to try and hack. :smileup:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I guess for me I was looking beyond the capacity of the HD. I know a larger HD would be more appealing. You see people with their carputers are not limited to using an automotive grade HD, so it should be possible to do this with the MyGIG.

The other thing I was thinking was customized front end software, different skins and such. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Well I guess for me I was looking beyond the capacity of the HD. I know a larger HD would be more appealing. You see people with their carputers are not limited to using an automotive grade HD, so it should be possible to do this with the MyGIG.

The other thing I was thinking was customized front end software, different skins and such. Just my thoughts.
I don't understand why the MyGiG requires an "automotive" grade HDD anyway????? As you said Larry, the carputers and Nitroputers out there don't and they seem to work just fine!!

I'm just hoping I can hook up that backup camera successfully!!! :eek:

·
Registered
364 Posts
It may not require it 100% of the time but I wouldn't be surprised to see it act up under temperature, humidty, or vibration extremes.
Carputers have a lot more air circulating around them then the MYgig unit.
I don't expect the OS to be very hackable.
I know we've had very limited sucess on the Magnum's nav system.
Some people much smarter than I removed the in-motion limitiations.

G

·
Unless the HD is a 10k RPM drive then it won't generate any substantial amount of heat and with the A/C interior there should be plenty of cooling for it. That said, D/C probably uses these automotive grade hd's for a couple of reasons, one they can talk about their grade to the customer and have a better selling point/price and two, it would possibly reduce the amount of warranty repairs. However, unless you are in an accident, hitting big potholes, or serious offroading, then there shouldn't be any problem using a non-automotive grade hd, and then you could go 500G if the software can be hacked to accept it. I'd love to get my hands on one so I could see what was on it.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heard today that with the NAV installed on the REN MyGIG there is approx 17GB left for music and pics. Good deal. Also heard that software updates are done by inserting a DVD with the update software.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.