Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was hoping somebody could help me out with a translation... if I had to guess I would think German, but I honestly have no idea:

#############################
# Regeldefinition fuer das Phrase Splicing (Normalgeschwindigkeit):
#
# Bitte beachten Sie den Punkt mach der letzten Regel!
# Links stehen zu matchende TEXTABSCHNITTE
#

The bulk of the file is a whole lot of string concatenation; AFAIK for creating the informational audio MyGig provides. If someone else has been working on this and is well ahead of me, feel free to let me know before I buckle down and buy another harddrive and bay enclosure to really wade into this.

- Aaron

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, I don't think this is anything new, since its just what I found in the MyGig update, but I grabbed that text out of "NTG4_9.561\BECKER\DATA\PROMPTS\USA\TTS\en_US\svox\svoxppa0.txt"

# SVOX preproc system-configuration file
# for SVOX-internal use only
#
# Project(s): - DaimlerChrysler - Series 204
# Version:3.0
# Date: Nov. 4, 2005

Between the structure of the file, translation, and some of the function calls made in the file, it looks like it sets up a basic grammar for the audio prompts MyGig provides you. Nothing really useful from my point of view. I'm beginning to resign myself to the fact that I'm going to have to clone the drive in order to make any attempt at figuring out how they have set up QNX and the software, which'll be awesome since my experience on 'Unix-like microkernals' is a whopping zero minutes.

But hey - at least I'll be learning something... :thk:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Upgrade Underway...

Adding the extra 12V outlets got boring. I'm leaving the interior in pieces for now. :)

Got the 120 GB HDD today along with two enclosures for 2.5" drives. Just ripped the old drive out of the MyGig and the cloning process is presently underway.:SHOCKED::SHOCKED::SHOCKED:

Should this be successful, a complete How-To will be posted. Should something go terribly wrong, a concise suicide note will be posted.

I kid, I kid.

- Aaron

·
Registered
163 Posts
:vis:

...... well the good news is that the original drive still works in the car.

This is something I'm going to have to muck with into the weekend. For now I need dinner and to start putting my Nitro back together.

- Aaron

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had found some freeware called Disk Copy 2.0 by a company EaseUs, link here. Its a sector-by-sector utility that you need to boot from CD, so I figured it was best for copying a harddrive with an unknown file system. However, it looks like there's a good chance that it couldn't handle the structure used by QNX (I'm totally ignorant in this area currently, so I'm just shooting in the dark) because the partitions as viewed through the Disk Copy utility:
  • don't synch up with the used / free space seen though MyGig (possible, I guess)
  • don't match up with partitions others have found (unlikely, but still possible)
  • total a solid 5 GB more than the hard drive size (wtf mate?)

I'm hoping over the weekend to install QNX on a spare computer and seeing if I have better luck checking the harddrive through its supported OS.

- Aaron

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah, it's very likely that the utility I picked is simply inadequate. On the other hand, it could be due to the fact that the two hard drives utilize different disk geometries. I was hoping the MyGig was robust enough to not have that limitation, but I could be wrong.....

I'm still holding out hope that its simply a filesystem translation problem.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Matt -

Any updates on how the system reads the new partition? I've been up wayyy too late tonight trying to get it to work with my 120GB drive; I followed your steps exactly except I didn't use the DOS Partition utility to change the partition table; I went in through the terminal and changed it manually. Since I've got 3 hours until I need to get up for work I'm going to call it quits for tonight, but my next step is to determine whether it's a partition size issue or a disk geometry issue.... do you happen to have the geometry info for your larger drive? It shouldn't be an issue, but who knows? Lastly, how long was the time from the installation of the upgraded system and the 1.95GB footprint left by MyGig? Let me know your thoughts.

- Aaron

Edit - Other thoughts now that I'm at work and struggling to stay awake: As far as I can tell, ext3 is not supported by QNX. Not being very knowledgable about all this, I was under the impression that changing the partition table identifier from ext3 to OnTrack DM has no effect on the actual file system. How does MyGig handle the files that have subsequently been added? I'm still trying to figure out exactly why my drive won't be recognized....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Random update for anyone following this at all:

I've gotten access to the filestructure of the four partitions:
Partition 1:
NDVersion.ini
(Folder) database
Inside the database folder are several files ending in a *.db extension; as of yet I don't have any QNX-based database programs to try out.

Partition 2:
Some Logfiles (looks like from the update to 9.561 I performed) and other files I have yet to even bother with
(Folder) nobss
(Folder) sss
(Folder) tts
Those last two folders are the same as from the BECKER\DATA\PROMPTS\USA subdirectory from the update download.

Partition 3:
Empty

Partition 4:
jukebox_dbm.db3 (wonder what that could be... :rolleyes:)
(Folder) gracenote
(Folder) playlists
(Folder) ripped
(Folder) tests

The playlists folder is quite conveniently broken down into subfolders that represent each playlist, under which are the mp3 files stored in each playlist. At the very least I now have the means of re-jiggering all my playlists without having to delete old ones, create new folders with new mp3's, etc. etc. etc.

All I have to do instead is completely deconstruct the MyGig unit to access the HDD. :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Great to see that more and more people are working on this. Just so you know, as far as I know the actual MyGig software is not stored on the HDD, but rather on the flash memory. I've run the system without the drive installed, and the only functionality lost was the use of the nav system and the mp3's that I had stored. Your best bet would be to sift through the files that are in the MyGig updates available on the forum, specifically the *.ifs and *.bin files.

I can get QNX to read and write to all the partitions on my 120 GB drive, but MyGig still cannot mount them. I'm hoping there is some basic compatibility issue that I've overlooked. I'm going to actually try this with a smaller IDE drive I have to see if I have any luck.

- Aaron

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Surfaces!

It looks like you've got experience working in QNX. I know from a *nix point of view, the partitions are t4d, t4e, t4f, and t50 for that last one. However, from within QNX, the partition ID's read differently - t77, t78, t79, and t80 (for the original drive). Any idea why that is?

With smaller drives the conversion seems to work just fine when I initialize that last partition as t80 from within QNX, so I didn't suspect that would be an issue. I'll go back and try reinitializing the partition of the 120 GB drive as type 50. As an aside, how big were you able to upgrade the drive? Is there a limit?

- Aaron

EDIT (for anyone who may actually follow the thread): After I got back from the office today, I gave Surface's recommendation a shot on the 20 GB laptop drive I know to work within the MyGig unit. I hooked it up to the laptop with QNX running and reformatted using his steps with the partition ID of t50. Unfortunately, the MyGig did not read the last partition, indicating that I have a 0.0 GB drive installed. The good news is that even with the fourth partition unreadable, you can verify the fact that the hard drive is functioning properly by confirming that the navigation maps load up, or by going into system information and confirming that there is a database version displayed (on a side note, the Gracenotes database is stored on that fourth partition, so that may not show up). I plugged the drive back into the laptop, reinitialized the fourth partition as type t80, and checked out how a completely empty fourth partition would be handled in the MyGig. Even without any system files on that fourth partition, the size and free space of the drive was picked up and displayed.

How does this translate to my 120 GB EIDE swap project? Poorly. More and more evidence is pointing to some fundamental compatibility issue. There's still a long shot that the 9.799 patch may have a positive effect, since the symptoms match, but I'm doubtful.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey DJ, welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure I completely follow you here... If you mean to say a sector-by-sector clone will not work for expanding the HDD capacity, I completely agree with you. However, I just want to make sure we're clear that a sector-by-sector clone is a perfectly acceptable, and in most situations more convenient, method of getting the original contents of the HDD onto the new drive. I just want to make sure that visitors who come across this thread don't get confused.

From there you're right, you need to manually change the size of the fourth partition. I've got QNX on a laptop of mine, and I think I've posted the steps involved from within that environment somewhere in this subforum. Matt101 posted his strategy, which does not involve QNX, but I'm not sure how successful that was since he simply exanded the last partition but left it initialized as ext3, which can be funny with QNX.

- Aaron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts