Dodge Nitro Forum banner
21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
It would seem to make more sense if it could be downloaded, burned it a dvd, or if it's not excessive, use a data key.
The only problem, not everyone has a dvd burner.:i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
It would seem to make more sense if it could be downloaded, burned it a dvd, or if it's not excessive, use a data key.
The only problem, not everyone has a dvd burner.:i_rolleyes:
why should we have to download something? We have satellite connection, why can't they just download it right in?? :confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm hoping updates are free but I read that they might be $250.

I would strongly argue if there was a large fee. I bought my car new with MyGIG in it less than a month ago and everything should work as advertised when I took delivery. If not, then it's up to the dealer to make it right under warranty.

Anyone have a complete list of what the update fixes from previous versions?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
That's a good question. I don't have the answer to that, but I do have someone looking into it. :smileup:
hey Larry,
Any news on this? I know this technology is relatively new, but has there been any updates for other vehicles, for instance, the Sebring had MyGIG before the Nitro did.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Beating A Dead Horse

Ok well I have been hunting all over the interweb to try and find out info about the mygig hd swap. I have heard that it uses a Linux based OS, and heard all the do and not plug it in arguments to a Windows and Mac. I have a friend who is way more tech savy than me (he's a system admin for Microsoft) and Linux boxes are his hobby. I'm going to shoot him an email tonight and should have some info in the next few days. 20gb is just not enough. If anyone has further info are anything new let me know here an I will add it to what I have learned.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well the only thing I can add is the MYGIG unit I purchased, the REN, which now comes with a 30gb HD and this one has no NAV loaded, only has 17GB free. Go figure. Where'd the other 13GB go if it doesn't have the NAV. Makes no sense. :confused::shakehead:

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Well the only thing I can add is the MYGIG unit I purchased, the REN, which now comes with a 30gb HD and this one has no NAV loaded, only has 17GB free. Go figure. Where'd the other 13GB go if it doesn't have the NAV. Makes no sense. :confused::shakehead:
Mine is suppose to have 20gb, that's how they sold it, but it only shows 8gb free!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Work in progress

Ok talked to my friend today, and he informed me that the Linux OS can be accessed by windows via a command CD when you boot the CD it will run the drive in for lack of a better term in DOS mode, that means it can be copied, which should mean you can upgrade the HD as long as size and tech stuff matches, I got mine of ebay for 850 so I guess I'm going to take some time this week end and see if I can break it. Wish me luck if it works I will post detailed info...(this also means you will be able to edit the program, which for me means playing DVDs while I drive)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well the os is QNX Neutrino RTOS (Real Time Operating System). www.qnx.com

As far as cloning...

You should be able to load qnx and copy the drive "Image" to another but I am not sure if it will use the rest of the disk space on the larger drive. It would be intresting to boot QNX on a computer and mount the drive to see if there are any security issues with accessing the MyGig drive.

Questions...
Where does the OS actually reside? Is it on the HDD, or a removeable flash, or even embedded on the puter?

·
Registered
54 Posts
There's probably a way to clone the system, back it up, then mess around with whatever you want to mess around with. If you break something you can just copy the backup over and start from scratch. :)

Once people start tinkering with this (and they will!) it will benefit all of us by way of 3rd party add-ons, upgrades, etc. Just like you can with your computer, or your PDA phone. I can't wait to be able to enable certain features that are locked by default, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, there is a free trial to QNX. If you search for QNX Iso there are a few around that are already "Compiled" and ready to install (it installs very nicely to VMWare workstation). The license as best I can tell that as long as its not for Comercial use you are free to play with it.

As far as "breaking it" as long as you are carefull you should be ok, but I imagine the hardest thing about most of this is that this will probably be gaining access to the root, ftp, ect. It most likely is embedded in the "puter" and depending on how it may be difficult to get in. But if it is on the HDD, then theoritecally you could load your own OS to a diferent drive, and go from there, now the issue will most likely be drivers for all the components. Also I imagine that while you could get audio, and video working pretty easy, there is actually a ton of programming for all the rest of the interface (Copying / picture display / touchscreen / ect)

My limited experience of QNX (Mostly from a user / configurer side of things) is that it is extremly dependant on its HWCL, and anything outside of that will require custom drivers.

Jaggles - Yes cloning the HDD is an easy task, basically you would boot to QNX fomr a different drive, and with the Mygig drive conected copy the HD1 image to that, then shutdown, connect the new drive, reboot and copy the image to that. What I am not sure of is that if you take the HD1 image and cop yit to a bigger drive if it becomes the size of the new drive. A little research woudl shed some light on that. I did at one time have a cloning util that ran in XP, that would copy the QNX image to XP, then write it to a new drive, but as I am no longer an employee of that company, I would have to ask permission to use it. I would love to have the time to mess with it, but in reality my time is very limited for these kind of projects, so more then likely I will have to read about what others find.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, there is a free trial to QNX. If you search for QNX Iso there are a few around that are already "Compiled" and ready to install (it installs very nicely to VMWare workstation). The license as best I can tell that as long as its not for Comercial use you are free to play with it.

As far as "breaking it" as long as you are carefull you should be ok, but I imagine the hardest thing about most of this is that this will probably be gaining access to the root, ftp, ect. It most likely is embedded in the "puter" and depending on how it may be difficult to get in. But if it is on the HDD, then theoritecally you could load your own OS to a diferent drive, and go from there, now the issue will most likely be drivers for all the components. Also I imagine that while you could get audio, and video working pretty easy, there is actually a ton of programming for all the rest of the interface (Copying / picture display / touchscreen / ect)

My limited experience of QNX (Mostly from a user / configurer side of things) is that it is extremly dependant on its HWCL, and anything outside of that will require custom drivers.

Jaggles - Yes cloning the HDD is an easy task, basically you would boot to QNX fomr a different drive, and with the Mygig drive conected copy the HD1 image to that, then shutdown, connect the new drive, reboot and copy the image to that. What I am not sure of is that if you take the HD1 image and cop yit to a bigger drive if it becomes the size of the new drive. A little research woudl shed some light on that. I did at one time have a cloning util that ran in XP, that would copy the QNX image to XP, then write it to a new drive, but as I am no longer an employee of that company, I would have to ask permission to use it. I would love to have the time to mess with it, but in reality my time is very limited for these kind of projects, so more then likely I will have to read about what others find.
Wedee, you obviously have alot of knowledge in this field and we look forward to any input you contribute in the future from your own, or from others, findings. :smileup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wiring diagram out to speakers from MyGig-

Has anyone discovered how to obtain the diagrams for the stock wiring in the Dodge vehicles (08 GrandCaravan). Things like speaker wires, bus, power, u-connect, rear view camera, etc? I'm going to add a couple of speakers (since my stock system only has 6 of the 9 locations being utilized). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
BAM...:wavey:

John...so far I haven't been able to look at the actual pinouts of the 2008 Carvan wiring diagrams, they don't seem to be working. However, I'm betting on Chrysler usually maintains the same pinouts across the board. Finger corssed. :) As far as who makes the unit, I'll do some more poking around on it and see if there are some manfacturer names printed anywhere.

21 - 40 of 97 Posts