Dodge Nitro Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
hmm, have you tried norton ghost?? its a powerful ghosting utility, it may fix those broken structures
I don't know if software like that will work with unix-based operating systems. would be interesting to find out!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah, it's very likely that the utility I picked is simply inadequate. On the other hand, it could be due to the fact that the two hard drives utilize different disk geometries. I was hoping the MyGig was robust enough to not have that limitation, but I could be wrong.....

I'm still holding out hope that its simply a filesystem translation problem.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yeah, it's very likely that the utility I picked is simply inadequate. On the other hand, it could be due to the fact that the two hard drives utilize different disk geometries. I was hoping the MyGig was robust enough to not have that limitation, but I could be wrong.....

I'm still holding out hope that its simply a filesystem translation problem.
the drives used for the MyGiG are simply industry standard laptop drives. Nothing special about them at all. It is definitely the file system structure that is the issue. good luck with it this weekend. keep us informed, very interesting indeed! :smileup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
the drives used for the MyGiG are simply industry standard laptop drives. Nothing special about them at all. It is definitely the file system structure that is the issue. good luck with it this weekend. keep us informed, very interesting indeed! :smileup:
I read that they are special anti-shock and heat resistant drives, possibly Samsung. Thinking about how hot it gets inside a car sitting in the sun on a summer day it would make sense.

MyGIG Hard Drive

·
Registered
364 Posts
You are correct. They are not your run of the mile drives. Would a regular one work? Maybe. But it won't be as good as what was in there.
I read that they are special anti-shock and heat resistant drives, possibly Samsung. Thinking about how hot it gets inside a car sitting in the sun on a summer day it would make sense.

MyGIG Hard Drive

I think what Aaron was eluding to by geometry was the head/cylinder/sector count.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The MyGIG is an embedded car computer created by Harman Becker Automotive (HB) out of Farmington Hills, MI (USA). It runs the QNX Operating System using the SH-4A RISC processor. This means it cannot run Miscrosoft or Apple Software.
However, it is an operating system running the MyGIG Multimedia/Navigation software designed by Harman Becker. As someone indicated earlier, unless HB releases the source code, it will be a difficult, if not impossible task for someone else to add / remove features for MyGiG.
HB will not give you any info about the MyGIG, but they will mail you an update CD to address the latest bug fixes - just email the address below and ask.
MAP Updates are a different story and will only come form local dealerships. Yes, this means updated maps cost $$$!

Harman Becker Automotive
39001 W. 12 Mile Road
Farmington Hills, MI 48331
248-994-2794
[email protected]

That being said, I used a Linux Live CD [Clonezilla-SysRescCD v2.4] to look at the hard drive's partition structure.

[Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to line up the columns]
Partition Size Start End ID Format Purpose (my best guess)
1. 9.2 GB 63 19454714 0x4d QNX4.x Main Software
2. 305.9 MB 19454715 20081249 0x4e QNX4.x 2nd part ?? (Maybe Swap File or TMP Storage)
3. 101.9 MB 20081250 20290094 0x4f QNX4.x 3rd part ?? (Maybe Swap File or TMP Storage)
4. 18.3 GB 20290095 58701509 0x50 OnTrack DM Storage area for personal files

It looks like Partition #4 is the place which holds all pics and music.
As far as I can tell, not all of the 18.3 belongs to you. Some of the space belongs to MyGIG.

Here is the good part::smileup:
Requirements:
A> Windows XP/Vista Laptop
1. You must be able to remove the HD
2. It must be able to use ATA standard 2.5" hard drives
3. It must be able to run the Linux Live CD
B> MyGIG Original HD (obviously removed from the MyGIG) [mine was 30GB]
C> New, Larger 2.5" MyGIG HD [mine was 40GB]
D> USB 2.5" adapter cable to connect Original MyGIG HD to laptop using a USB Port
E> Download and burn a copy of the Linux Live CD
Clonezilla-SysRescCD Linux Live CD: http://clonezilla-sysresccd.hellug.gr/intro.html

Notes:
A. I used a new, never installed MyGIG RER 30GB model.
B. My new, larger hard drive is not designed for automotive applications. It's a regular 40GB laptop 2.5" ATA hard drive.
C. Neither Lock Pick nor NAV TV products were used in this test.
D. Your MyGiG drive should never "touch" a "Live" Windows or Apple computer. It's not Windows or Apple once you have booted with the Linux Live CD - It's transformed into Linux:SHOCKED:
E. Always remove the vehicle's radio fuse before pulling/installing the MyGIG head unit.

General Steps:
1. Removed the Original MyGIG hard drive and clone it using Clonezilla-SysRescCD onto a New, larger 2.5" laptop HD.
a. Remove Laptop's Windows XP/Vista HD - set aside
b. Attach MyGiG HD to laptop with USB cable.
c. Install New MyGIG HD into laptop. (all data will be erased)
d. Boot with Clonezilla-SysRescCD.
Perform Partition Tasks:
2. Clone Old HD to New HD taking into consideration partition / sector layout:
a. Boot into Clonezilla and copy HD to HD via partition structure, Shutdown Laptop
b. Disconnect Original MyGIG HD to avoid mistakes - set aside
3. Delete Partition#4 from cloned HD: [I could not figure out how to expand partition #4 to take up the extra space, so I deleted it]
a. Boot Linux CD into 32bit System Rescue Graphical, run GParted and Delete Cloned Partition#4
b. While in System Rescue Graphical, Create a New Linux EXT3 Partition#4 using all of the available free space at the end of the HD, Reboot back to Main Menu
4. Go to Tools Menu and select DOS Part software, change the partition ID from "linux ext3" to "0x50 OnTrack DM".(enter 50 manually)
5. Shutdown Laptop and remove New MyGiG Drive.
6. Finally, install the New, larger HD into the MyGIG.
7. Store the Original MyGIG HD in a safe place.
8. Pull Radio Fuse.
9. Install MyGIG into you vehicle (Mine is a 2008 Rubicon)
10. Install Radio Fuse.
11. Reinstall Windows HD back into laptop

The new size of My Personal Space is 24.68 GB!
Capacity: 26.638 GB
Used: 1.958 GB
Available: 24.680 GB

I have not uploaded any pics or mp3's but 1.958 GB's are already taken by the MyGIG - Hmmm??

I never installed the 30GB MyGIG, so I'm not sure how much Personal Space is on an empty 30GB model.

Obviously, this method requires someone to reinstall/upload all pics and mp3's again.

These steps should work with any 2.5" ATA hard drive, but I'm not sure if the MyGIG QNX [hardware / software] has any partition size limits.

Warning: I need to do more testing to ensure my upgrade properly uploads and plays pics and music. Also need to test if the larger hard drive will interfer with Chrysler software updades.

Until next time, tinker at your own RISK!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
WOW!!

Matt, that is impressive what you've done!!! With your success you've really opened the door on this topic. Congrats!! :rep:
Can't wait to see if all works normally for you. Now the next question is how large of a HHD is the MyGIG capable of handling? I'm sure if it were too large file access would slow down and then there may be a potential for a system crash.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Matt -

Any updates on how the system reads the new partition? I've been up wayyy too late tonight trying to get it to work with my 120GB drive; I followed your steps exactly except I didn't use the DOS Partition utility to change the partition table; I went in through the terminal and changed it manually. Since I've got 3 hours until I need to get up for work I'm going to call it quits for tonight, but my next step is to determine whether it's a partition size issue or a disk geometry issue.... do you happen to have the geometry info for your larger drive? It shouldn't be an issue, but who knows? Lastly, how long was the time from the installation of the upgraded system and the 1.95GB footprint left by MyGig? Let me know your thoughts.

- Aaron

Edit - Other thoughts now that I'm at work and struggling to stay awake: As far as I can tell, ext3 is not supported by QNX. Not being very knowledgable about all this, I was under the impression that changing the partition table identifier from ext3 to OnTrack DM has no effect on the actual file system. How does MyGig handle the files that have subsequently been added? I'm still trying to figure out exactly why my drive won't be recognized....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys,

I did two tests with the larger HD. One with a straight clone of the Original MyGiG drive leaving the extra space unallocated and one with the clone drive expanded as described in the previous instructions.

I then attempted to load 20GB of Mp3's onto both setups.

The straight clone loaded as many of the MP3's until the MyGiG was full ~ 18GB. The MyGiG made no attempt to expand partition #4 into the empty HD space.:(

The clone with expanded partition #4 only loaded about 1GB of MP3's. The MyGiG said it was complete with loading all of the data from the USB Drive, but it only loaded about 2% of the available data.:mad: Even more strange, the MP3's that were transfered seemed to have been selected without rhym or reason as they were uploaded to the MyGiG.

I also tried using a FAT32 partition with 0x50 ID. No such luck, the MyGiG did not see the partition at all.:confused:

At this point, I'm open to suggestions. I read somewhere that there are QNX utilities to do exactly what we are trying to do, but this kind of software is held in a security vault at HB or only provided to registered QNX programmers.

I'm starting work using the QNX OS to try and find a better method. So if you can give me a couple of weeks, I may have a better solution.
Sorry, this didn't work right away.:eek:

Matt

Matt

·
Registered
163 Posts
Random update for anyone following this at all:

I've gotten access to the filestructure of the four partitions:
Partition 1:
NDVersion.ini
(Folder) database
Inside the database folder are several files ending in a *.db extension; as of yet I don't have any QNX-based database programs to try out.

Partition 2:
Some Logfiles (looks like from the update to 9.561 I performed) and other files I have yet to even bother with
(Folder) nobss
(Folder) sss
(Folder) tts
Those last two folders are the same as from the BECKER\DATA\PROMPTS\USA subdirectory from the update download.

Partition 3:
Empty

Partition 4:
jukebox_dbm.db3 (wonder what that could be... :rolleyes:)
(Folder) gracenote
(Folder) playlists
(Folder) ripped
(Folder) tests

The playlists folder is quite conveniently broken down into subfolders that represent each playlist, under which are the mp3 files stored in each playlist. At the very least I now have the means of re-jiggering all my playlists without having to delete old ones, create new folders with new mp3's, etc. etc. etc.

All I have to do instead is completely deconstruct the MyGig unit to access the HDD. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys,

Great job so far...I've been keeping up with this post for the past few weeks as I was coincidently considering doing the same exact thing. I work with a guy who is a computer and electronics expert (literally 20+ years experience)....we are going to dump the the MyGIG's HD in hopes of somehow removing the restriction on the nav/dvd etc...without having to purchase anything. He is very confident that we will be successful, I was just curious, was this the goal for either of you guys too, or did you simply want to have a larger hard drive? If that is something either of you guys were working towards, I would be very interested if you had any tips or suggestions on accessing the code that may contain the restriction if/when you are able to view the actual source. Look forward to more updates and again great work! :rep:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Great to see that more and more people are working on this. Just so you know, as far as I know the actual MyGig software is not stored on the HDD, but rather on the flash memory. I've run the system without the drive installed, and the only functionality lost was the use of the nav system and the mp3's that I had stored. Your best bet would be to sift through the files that are in the MyGig updates available on the forum, specifically the *.ifs and *.bin files.

I can get QNX to read and write to all the partitions on my 120 GB drive, but MyGig still cannot mount them. I'm hoping there is some basic compatibility issue that I've overlooked. I'm going to actually try this with a smaller IDE drive I have to see if I have any luck.

- Aaron

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can get QNX to read and write to all the partitions on my 120 GB drive, but MyGig still cannot mount them. I'm hoping there is some basic compatibility issue that I've overlooked. I'm going to actually try this with a smaller IDE drive I have to see if I have any luck.
Aaron, this partition need to be a QNX4 partition, even if it's look like 0x50 one.

To resize a partition
In a terminal session:
fdisk /dev/xxxxx (the disk you want to play with)
select 4th partition, change, and put the new data on it.
Can't remember exactly, but it's someting like :
0x50 - Beginnig first free cluster, Last HDD cluster (shown in the bottom of FDISK) and that's it.
save
exit
Format the new partition to QNX filesystem.
dinit -h /dev/xxxx-t50 (should be t50 for the 4th partition)

Expect that will help your project.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Aaron, this partition need to be a QNX4 partition, even if it's look like 0x50 one.

To resize a partition
In a terminal session:
fdisk /dev/xxxxx (the disk you want to play with)
select 4th partition, change, and put the new data on it.
Can't remember exactly, but it's someting like :
0x50 - Beginnig first free cluster, Last HDD cluster (shown in the bottom of FDISK) and that's it.
save
exit
Format the new partition to QNX filesystem.
dinit -h /dev/xxxx-t50 (should be t50 for the 4th partition)

Expect that will help your project.
Welcome to the forum ''surfaces''. head over to the newbie section and say Hi to everyone...:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Surfaces!

It looks like you've got experience working in QNX. I know from a *nix point of view, the partitions are t4d, t4e, t4f, and t50 for that last one. However, from within QNX, the partition ID's read differently - t77, t78, t79, and t80 (for the original drive). Any idea why that is?

With smaller drives the conversion seems to work just fine when I initialize that last partition as t80 from within QNX, so I didn't suspect that would be an issue. I'll go back and try reinitializing the partition of the 120 GB drive as type 50. As an aside, how big were you able to upgrade the drive? Is there a limit?

- Aaron

EDIT (for anyone who may actually follow the thread): After I got back from the office today, I gave Surface's recommendation a shot on the 20 GB laptop drive I know to work within the MyGig unit. I hooked it up to the laptop with QNX running and reformatted using his steps with the partition ID of t50. Unfortunately, the MyGig did not read the last partition, indicating that I have a 0.0 GB drive installed. The good news is that even with the fourth partition unreadable, you can verify the fact that the hard drive is functioning properly by confirming that the navigation maps load up, or by going into system information and confirming that there is a database version displayed (on a side note, the Gracenotes database is stored on that fourth partition, so that may not show up). I plugged the drive back into the laptop, reinitialized the fourth partition as type t80, and checked out how a completely empty fourth partition would be handled in the MyGig. Even without any system files on that fourth partition, the size and free space of the drive was picked up and displayed.

How does this translate to my 120 GB EIDE swap project? Poorly. More and more evidence is pointing to some fundamental compatibility issue. There's still a long shot that the 9.799 patch may have a positive effect, since the symptoms match, but I'm doubtful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
t77, t78, t79, and t80 (for the original drive). Any idea why that is?
FileSystem type :
0x07............QNX 2
0x4D - 0x50.....QNX 4.2 partitions
0x77 - 0x80.....new QNX4 partitions

QNX 4.2 and new QNX 4 are compatibles.

With smaller drives the conversion seems to work just fine when I initialize that last partition as t80 from within QNX, so I didn't suspect that would be an issue. I'll go back and try reinitializing the partition of the 120 GB drive as type 50. As an aside, how big were you able to upgrade the drive? Is there a limit?
QNX 4 filesystem limits :
Filename length...48 bytes
Pathname length...1024 bytes
File size.........2 Gb
Directory size....33 million files in a single directory.
Filesystem size...1Tb, limited by the disk driver.
Disk size.........2^64 bytes (a lot of TB); limited by the disk driver

I don't think that the QNX is causing you trouble on the hdd size, but maybe the bios do, or you try to send a file bigger that 2 Gb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry guys a sector by sector copy will not work. I have hacked a few Xboxes. Looks like this is a Linux OS. I am looking for some extreme server HDDs or I may try a solid state drive. ATA to Sata doesn't matter there are adapters availible. I am waiting for the junk yard here to call me back about a nitro that was rolled around here. I hope that the drive is ok. The head unit actually looked ok.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.